S Tronic stationary juddering

ANX

Reaction score
Hopefully not the start of another gearbox issue thread...!

So.. rather disconcertingly the car started juddering whilst waiting at traffic lights today. I know the lights are relatively quick change so came to stop on and stayed on the footbrake, gearbox in manual mode as I prefer with DSG, but after a couple of seconds the car started juddering, I guess it felt like a rough idle. My wife also noticed and she is generally devoid of any mechanical sympathy, so I certainly wasn't imagining it! Put the car in neutral and it went away, back into drive, sport or manual and it came back, although not as pronounced. I carried on with the rest of my journey, which took a further 10 mins and each time I came to a stop, the same happened.

After an hour or so we got back in the car and drove home with no issues at all.

Car is a 2.0 TDI 190 Quattro about 250miles old, I've had both Strontic and Tiptronic Audis in the past, and I've got to say this box is well... different, too many gears for a start! But more so the take-up lag when pulling off as mentioned in other threads, I wouldn't like to drive around town with efficiency mode in drive!

I don't hate it... but I think with this box you have to take the 'automated manual' nature more seriously than I remember in the a3 DSG 170 I used to drive.

Anyway, hoping very much this was just a 'frog in throat' moment and that will be that, trying not to let my imagination run away with me, but just a little worried given the other gearbox problems on here and wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar?

Last edited:
I thought Audi had made a bit of a clanger in changing the S4 from S-Tronic (which has been been fantastic and faultless for me) to tiptronic in the B9 but maybe they knew what they were doing...

Oh good another thread of someone with gearbox issues... :grimacing:

Id say give it some time, maybe drive in auto mode for a while, and try keep the revs low for the next 700 or so miles until the engine breaks in. The lag on these gearbox's is terrible! after 1,600 miles im kinda used to it but from time to time I realise just how bad it is when I step into the wifes automatic beamer, it's a shame coz the cars pretty good all round aside from that!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

A few short trips today without further incident... here's hoping for the best!

I can't help but break the car in gently given my 70 mile daily drive is 90% 50mph average speed checks at the moment!

I find no issue with lag in manual and dynamic mode.. for me that seems to be the only safe/predictable way to approach a giveway/roundabout and be ready to go again.. no to drive it hard, the opposite for the moment at least... Roll up to your turn conservatively, watch car downshift automatically so your in 2nd gear as you turn out and ready to go again and know it's going to hold the gear for as long as you want it. In drive it seems to want to hang on to 3rd or even 4th on the same kind of junctions so no wonder the lag is real as you roll out below turbo rpm and nothing happens. You react, apply more throttle and it tries to give you another gear in response resulting in a further delay. Sport is OK in these situations but keeps hold of gears too long for general pottering/breaking the engine in and is still so far at least still a little unpredicatble.

I dont have a problem driving in manual and its how i drove my previous DSG 90% of the time... Just a good job I didn't by the auto on the premise of not having to worry about what gear I'm in

Sorry, probably too many general opinions in a thread created about a specific issue...

Cheers