Audi A1: Worn Clutch in only 1 year & 1,200 miles!

Oli Wal

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First time poster here, but I'm in need of some worn clutch advice and would appreciate anyone taking the time to read and reply.

As a bit of background, I had a leased Ford Fiesta from new for 3 years and had no clutch problems throughout that time; no mechanical problems as all in fact.

I currently have an Audi A1 1.4 TFSI leased from new for the last 2 years. According to the Audi Health Check at the end of the first year, in January 2016, there were no issues recorded about any part of the car. At that time the car had done a paltry 900 miles in total.

Now, after its most recent Health Check in January 2017 and after an overall total of just 2,100 miles, they are saying that it has a worn clutch due to "driver error" and requires a new clutch plate, pressure plate, release bearing and parts/bolts, at a cost of nearly £1500!

As far as I am aware my style of driving has not changed. I do a mixture of town and country road driving, but only recreationally as shown in the low mileage. I am not what some may call a 'boy racer' - I drive considerately (in fact for most of the last year I have been driving my pregnant wife around so have been even more cautious). I use the hand-break at traffic lights and when otherwise stopped and always thought I changed gear appropriately as well as smoothly and regularly. I'd like to think the lack of any previous issues would support my self-driving-assessment, but alas, something is wrong somewhere else I wouldn't be sat here writing this.

So somehow, after 4 uneventful years of driving, I have now managed to burn through a clutch in just 1 year and in only 1,200 miles. As you can probably tell, I'm not an experienced car owner or mechanic, but that to me that sounds like some going.

Before I do combat with the garage and lease company over who should be paying for the new clutch, I wanted to do a bit of research into what my 'driver error' might have been.

Any ideas how I might have worn the clutch that badly in such a small space of time and over so few miles?

Maybe I've not noticed a bad habit I've picked up in the last year or so. I'm willing to listen to any suggestions else I can't see how it won't happen again once the clutch is replaced.

Has anyone else had problems specifically with the clutch on the Audi A1 that might imply a mechanical fault? (A Google search finds some people reporting problems similar to this, but up at 12,000+ miles)

Tbh.
Im not great at mechanical issues but I don't think it's anything your doing at all.
There is a known issue with cluches and gearboxes being weak points on the a1s
I brought a brand new s1 and received delivery end of November
With a 3week battle have successfully rejected my car and having a new one built at there expense
Im in a loan a1 and i had a brand new one delivered to my wok
Any its done 100 miles and noticed that the clutch is slipping
Sure its a known fault. Call audi customer service start a case up and dont pay up

Reactions: Oli Wal
I bought a 2017 A1 1.4 S line, one year old with 7200 miles on the clock from an approved Audi dealer. It now has 30k on the clock. My clutch failed last week, mid drive. It's been fixed today. £1320 for a new clutch and DM flywheel. I'm a middle aged woman who does 10 miles a day,and with clean driving habits. I'm shocked that I had a clutch failure at 30k miles.