2012 A6 Avant s-line cheap antenna replacement ?

maud75

Reaction score
Hi

I have a failed shark fin antenna - has this diagnosed. Sat nav says I am over 200 miles from my location and has been like this for a couple of months now.

Rather than pay the £500+ to have it fixed at a dealer I am looking for an alternative I could buy that will plug into the MMI unit in the boot side cavity

I have looked at buying a replacement fin from a dealership and doing a diy job (leaving it unpainted) but I don't fancy removing all the headlining to do it

I've searched various forums to find a recommendation for a cheap one from eBay that would sit in the boot and plug into the MMI unit but all I can find is links to items that have been recommended for C5 & C6 models

Has anyone purchased a substitute for the shark fin and got it to work ?

Also somewhat confused with the comments around needing a fakra connector....

Would appreciate any help or recommendations

Thanks in advance

It happened to my C7 as well but got it replaced under warranty. Seems like very common problem with these models. I reckon try to get it from TPS at discounted price and try fitting yourself.

It happened to my C7 as well but got it replaced under warranty. Seems like very common problem with these models. I reckon try to get it from TPS at discounted price and try fitting yourself.

I bought a replacement fin from Audi but I can't see how to get the roof lining off easily and don't want to try if I'm honest as I have a fear of it not going back together correctly and then having to take it to Audi to sort it out - so I took the replacement fin back for a refund. I don't have the best track record on DIY.....

Has anyone any suggestions on a cheap alternative that comes with a receiver that would just sit in the boot and plug directly into the unit ?

Thanks

I had to change mine at the weekend with a genuine Audi eBay special for 23 squid :) - was expecting a really big challenge but it was a complete doddle - all done in 25 minute's.

You have to lift the rubber seal at the top of the boot which will enable you to pull out the rear panel.

You'll then see the headliner edge and a black centering pin. At either 3 or 9 o'clock get a small flat headed screwdriver and pull the pin out as you push on with the screwdriver.

Bend the edge of headliner back and you'll see the antenna. Undo the torx screw and remove the spring and clamp (don't let these fall out in to the headliner).

Pull out the little white tab about 2mm to release the cable connector lock and then push on it and pull the connectors off.

From the outside lift out the antenna - needs a little force and then reverse above.

It would be a lot easier to remove the headiner as it is a bit tight on space but that's many minutes of trim removal unnecessarily.

Thanks for the replies - not feeling like risking a DIY JOB - any suggestions for a cheaper version that has been bought and works would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

The Fakra connector, is simply the style of plug on the end of the wire coming from the GPS antenna. All VAG cars use a Fakra connector. So if your sourcing a replacement from EBay, just search on "GPS Antenna Fakra" to find what you need.

Also, if this is the C7 model, I thought the Fakra connector was on the MMI head unit, not in the boot? Don't quote me though :racer:

Whichever way you do it, you'll have to remove something. Either replace the shark fin with the method above or you'll have to remove the AC Panel and take out the RMC/MMI unit to get to the back to replace with a hockey puck type - plus finding a home for the antenna which may involve the glovebox coming out (not 100% on this bit as I've gone down the route of replacing the shark fin).

The harness from the 5F unit to the roof is not one piece, so there could be 2-3 joins where the different harness meet. You could just stick a GPS antenna behind the dash, that would also work, however the current one is faulty due to water getting into it, the question is how long before it find it's way into the car from the faulty antenna leaving you with a bigger bill. Personally I would just find an aerial form a later model A6 being broken on ebay.

There is a joint in the headlining, others could be around the D pillar and base of the A pillar. Some of them could be hidden with harness tape

There is a joint in the headlining, others could be around the D pillar and base of the A pillar. Some of them could be hidden with harness tape

So none plugged into the gubbins in the boot itself then?? :(

Was hoping there would a connection in there so I could just unplug and plug a new hockey type antenna in rather than faffing about with the headlining etc......especially as a new one is £95!!!

Don't buy one new from Audi - there's hundreds on eBay and if you extend your search to the EU you should find one in the correct colour fairly easy - just need your paint code. I got mine for £22 Inc. delivery in spotless condition and absolutely no need to remove the headliner - just a fairly compact socket required and a small flathead screwdriver to release the headliner centering pin.

I found a silver one for £37.....that's the only one I can find at the moment :(

Is yours a saloon or an avant? On my avant I've got like a rectangle trim piece before the headlining starts. Also got a panroof so not sure if the clips etc are in the same place??

Reactions: D4n93rM0u53
Just put the hockey puck behind the dash and plug it straight into the MMI unit.

The climate control needs to be removed, but you don't need to unplug it, then you can get access to the bolt holding the MMI unit in place. looking a elaswin it looks straight forward enough.

A87 10990

Carefully pull the operating unit -1- with the hook -T40207- out of the guides on the left and right as far as the first detent.
– Tilt the operating unit downwards slightly and disengage the retaining hook -2- at the dash panel.

Reactions: Rhyso
If you go the genuine route you have to remove the rectangular piece first.

The rectangular piece is just clipped on. Nothing a flat head screwdriver can't sort.

Mine is an Avant :)

Reactions: Rhyso
I've ordered a hockey puck aerial off Ebay so will go down the behind the dash route

Funds are tight so I'd rather pay out a £5 and lose that if it turns out not to be the aerial!!

Thanks both :)

It's an easy test, Just remove the unit but leave all the wiring in connected, Plugin the new GPS antenna and rest it on the dash, power the MMI on and see if you start receiving satellites you should get around 8 or more.

I had to change mine at the weekend with a genuine Audi eBay special for 23 squid :) - was expecting a really big challenge but it was a complete doddle - all done in 25 minute's.

You have to lift the rubber seal at the top of the boot which will enable you to pull out the rear panel.

You'll then see the headliner edge and a black centering pin. At either 3 or 9 o'clock get a small flat headed screwdriver and pull the pin out as you push on with the screwdriver.

Bend the edge of headliner back and you'll see the antenna. Undo the torx screw and remove the spring and clamp (don't let these fall out in to the headliner).

Pull out the little white tab about 2mm to release the cable connector lock and then push on it and pull the connectors off.

From the outside lift out the antenna - needs a little force and then reverse above.

It would be a lot easier to remove the headiner as it is a bit tight on space but that's many minutes of trim removal unnecessarily.

Hi Mate, I'm hoping you could help, I have a Audi A6 2012 with the pop up sat nav on a salon model of car.

I'm receiving mostly 0 satellites, I was told it most probably is the gps Ariel on top of car, and new one costing £112.

The problem being it looks very tricky job to lower headlining to fit new shark fin etc, any tips in doing this on a salon model with out spending hundreds at Audi dealer, thanks

You don't have to lower the headlining at all if you've got some fairly compact tools and flexible hands.

Just undo the centering pin and then you can fold down enough of the headliner to get access without having to even undo any of those horrible trim clips Audi use.

Those instructions were spot on :)

Did a trial removal

View attachment 119942

Guess what....I've just developed the same issue with my 2012 c7 saloon. How did you pull the climate control panel out? did you need special tools? and the mmi above? think ill go down the same route and buy the gps off ebay. also where did you palce the new gps antenna? thanks in advance.

Hi Mate, I'm hoping you could help, I have a Audi A6 2012 with the pop up sat nav on a salon model of car.

I'm receiving mostly 0 satellites, I was told it most probably is the gps Ariel on top of car, and new one costing £112.

The problem being it looks very tricky job to lower headlining to fit new shark fin etc, any tips in doing this on a salon model with out spending hundreds at Audi dealer, thanks

any luck how did you get on?

Guess what....I've just developed the same issue with my 2012 c7 saloon. How did you pull the climate control panel out? did you need special tools? and the mmi above? think ill go down the same route and buy the gps off ebay. also where did you place the new gps antenna? thanks in advance.

No special tools required. Follow the instructions above and you can't go wrong :)

I placed the antenna above the glove box. to do this you have to drop the glove box down. I think it's held up with about 6 bolts - 10mm in size??

All you need is a screwdriver and socket set; took me about 30 minutes in all to do it but then I've had practice of ripping out car interiors lol

No special tools required. Follow the instructions above and you can't go wrong :)

I placed the antenna above the glove box. to do this you have to drop the glove box down. I think it's held up with about 6 bolts - 10mm in size??

All you need is a screwdriver and socket set; took me about 30 minutes in all to do it but then I've had practice of ripping out car interiors lol

cheers mate....but the instructions above not very clear lol. Do you prise the climate control unit out? using a flat blade on either side? and once this is out then there's a bolt holding the mmi unit in place?

also the link to ebay no longer working....I presume its a standard fakra gps antenna?

Hard to remember but yes I believe it unclips and then allows access to the bolt holding the MMI in

Yup - standard Fakra GPS antenna. Think it was about £6??

finally got round to trying this with an ebay gps antenna and it made no difference!? I tried resetting mmi and even disconnecting power to the unit but its still showing me as miles away.

how do I check the number of satellites? my cars a 2011 c7 with 3g plus

any other suggestions? please

Have you driven the car yet? I had to drive a few yards for it to kick in and calibrate

Mine remembered where I last was. When I started driving it quickly found where I actually was

no I didn't...but I would have a thought resetting the mmi and disconnecting the power to the mmi would cause it to recalibrate anyway? ill go back out and try that now thanks.

no I didn't...but I would have a thought resetting the mmi and disconnecting the power to the mmi would cause it to recalibrate anyway? ill go back out and try that now thanks.

Nope! It didn’t on mine if I remember correctly. Only had to drive out of my estate before it started working properly:)

Reactions: amowolves
do you know which menu I can find the number of satellites in? read some where that's its under the route menu but I cant find that option.

Hi all,
I should replace the shark fin in my A6 MY2015, European model. I have a NAV, DAB and GSM as equipment in the car (if that does matter..). I found the following replacement shark fins (brand new) from Germany: https://www.ebay.de/itm/Antenne-Aut...094192?hash=item4afb43a4b0:g:wVMAAOSw9ZdXKGkb

However, I am not sure whether the connectors should be different.

Question: does anyone have a clear picture or other information on 1) how many wires there should be coming out from the fin and 2) what /connectors should there be to fit directly in the wires of the car?

Another option is of course to buy a genuine from the dealer, however they are charging EUR 250 for the part.

Thanks.