Facelift Question about Dynamic Mode?

Mark_86

Reaction score
Hi all,

Quick question. I read somewhere on the forum, that the S3 has two Dynamic modes and when you flick to Dynamic, it's not full Dynamic and you need to do something else? Am I imagining this? I generally have it in Dynamic with the box in sport...

Thanks - Mark

There is dynamic mode and there is an extra selection for the S-Tronic which is sport. They are often confused because when you first put the car into dynamic it actually selects sport for the gearbox. If, however, you flick the gear lever down you will go into dynamic gearbox mode. Is this what you meant?

Reactions: Rob2k68, SeoTFSI and Audi Bairn
There is dynamic mode and there is an extra selection for the S-Tronic which is sport. They are often confused because when you first put the car into dynamic it actually selects sport for the gearbox. If, however, you flick the gear lever down you will go into dynamic gearbox mode. Is this what you meant?

Probably lol. When I pop mine in Dynamic, it still stays in D, I have to pull the box back to go into S for the s-tronic. I'll have a play with some settings later I thinks...

If you change to dynamic in Drive Select from another profile, it will put the gearbox in S. If the car STARTS with Drive Select in dynamic, the gearbox will be in D.

You can select Sport on the box in any Drive Select profile, which will affect RPM gear change limits and change speeds, but not throttle response (that's handled by Drive Select profile choice).

Reactions: Rob2k68, Mark_86 and Audi Bairn
As the others say, Sport is automatically selected when you put it into Dynamic.
As this doesn't suit normal day to day driving on my commute I use Dynamic and just toggle in and out of Sport as required on the S Tronic box.
If i park the car out of Sport it starts off next time the same and doesn't default back to Sport being engaged, which is good.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Thanks guys, I thought there was some other sub menu that you could go into. Must say, Dynamic is ****** hard on the Mag dampers, every little bump... my poor spine! I tend to use Individual or Comfort when on the motorway to work most of the time...

Thanks guys, I thought there was some other sub menu that you could go into. Must say, Dynamic is ****** hard on the Mag dampers, every little bump... my poor spine! I tend to use Individual or Comfort when on the motorway to work most of the time...

I must be the only person in the world who can't feel a difference between the various modes on the mag ride.

I can feel the difference in throttle response.
I can hear the difference in the soundaktor settings.
I CAN'T feel a difference in the steering feel.
I CAN'T feel a difference in the suspension firmness or rebound (can it affect rebound?).

I'm almost convinced they are nothing more than a placebo :D

I must be the only person in the world who can't feel a difference between the various modes on the mag ride.

I CAN'T feel a difference in the suspension firmness or rebound (can it affect rebound?).

Really, it sort of the other way around for me. I feel a small difference in throttle response, the sound doesn't really change much bar the up-shift farts. But there's a massive weight added to the steering in Dynamic, really a bit too heavy vs comfort mode and the suspension gets Rock hard, every bump is felt through the chassis, in comfort it's much more supple, but still very firm. Must say, in any mode, the body control is really impressive!

If you park up in dynamic mode and turn the car off, when you next get back in it will say dynamic but not be in "proper" dynamic. Always cycle through the driving modes to resolve. I tend to switch to auto when almost stopped so that it is just one button press to get back to the full beans dynamic next time I get in ;)

TX.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Mark_86
When we were away at Christmas the difference in the Drive Select modes became more obvious.
The windy roads around Loch Tay especially showed the need for Dynamic steering. The sharper response was required to navigate many of these bends with confidence. In Comfort the car tended to wander a bit, not good with inches to spare between me and on coming traffic.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Mark_86
If you park up in dynamic mode and turn the car off, when you next get back in it will say dynamic but not be in "proper" dynamic. Always cycle through the driving modes to resolve. I tend to switch to auto when almost stopped so that it is just one button press to get back to the full beans dynamic next time I get in ;)

TX.

Surely you can just pop the gear changer down to pop it into S mode. AFAIK that is the same as cycling through ADS to get to dynamic and what you call "proper" dynamic mode (Which I call sport mode ;) )

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Audi Bairn
Really, it sort of the other way around for me. I feel a small difference in throttle response, the sound doesn't really change much bar the up-shift farts. But there's a massive weight added to the steering in Dynamic, really a bit too heavy vs comfort mode and the suspension gets Rock hard, every bump is felt through the chassis, in comfort it's much more supple, but still very firm. Must say, in any mode, the body control is really impressive!

Difference between 18s and 19s perhaps? I don't have mag ride so can't comment on that but I must admit I haven't heard any noise changes (I'm not convinced I have the SoundAktor), and I don't really notice a difference in steering either but I never use comfort so that might be the reason?

Difference between 18s and 19s perhaps? I don't have mag ride so can't comment on that but I must admit I haven't heard any noise changes (I'm not convinced I have the SoundAktor), and I don't really notice a difference in steering either but I never use comfort so that might be the reason?

Yeah perhaps. You should try it, go from comfort to dynamic and the steering change is huge. Also, had a nice little blast on the way to work this morning and managed to get some lovely sounds from the S3, lots of pops and a nice meaty growl. Best sounding 4 pot i've ever heard imo.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and allanmb
I generally drive the car in dynamic with the box set to 'D' shown in the trip. for example if you were driving in comfort mode in the ADS then cycle through and select 'dynamic' the box with automatically change into 'S' which is just the transmission settings, these give better throttle response and holds the gears to around 2500-3000rpm whereas putting the car into 'Dynamic' and flicking the box into 'D' will only change the transmission settings for a more economical sensible drive whilst maintaining the stiffer chassis, steering and Quattro. when the roads are sticky and dry try driving the car in Dynamic and leaving the box in sport and put the traction into sport and then it really comes alive!

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Mark_86
I generally drive the car in dynamic with the box set to 'D' shown in the trip. for example if you were driving in comfort mode in the ADS then cycle through and select 'dynamic' the box with automatically change into 'S' which is just the transmission settings, these give better throttle response and holds the gears to around 2500-3000rpm whereas putting the car into 'Dynamic' and flicking the box into 'D' will only change the transmission settings for a more economical sensible drive whilst maintaining the stiffer chassis, steering and Quattro. when the roads are sticky and dry try driving the car in Dynamic and leaving the box in sport and put the traction into sport and then it really comes alive!
I'll give this a go when the weather improves. Might have some snow later today... Yipee :)

I'll give this a go when the weather improves. Might have some snow later today... Yipee :)
there's no chance of me going out in the snow! I avoid it like the plague if I can help it!

I have mine set to the individual profile with everything set to dynamic but suspension on auto beachside of the hard ride in dynamic but lets the computers and sensors activate it when needed.

Reactions: Audi Bairn

Well I'm the second mate as I agree with you, I struggle to feel the difference of some attributes in each mode other than noise and throttle response.

Last edited: