Tyres - A3 2.0 TDI 150 SPORTBACK

Martha

Reaction score
I have done some 14,000 miles and the front tyres look like needing a replacement by 15,000.

I have only very rarely driven aggressively and therefore am disappointed in their life. I had hoped they would last to some 18,000 miles at least.

Most mileage is on windy A roads with some tight corners - maybe this doesn't help?

When sourcing replacements should I switch the rear tyres to the front or put new ones on the front?

What would you recommend - currently have the factory fitted continentals.

Any recommendations in terms of tyre suppliers?

Thanks,

Marth

Common sense would say to fit new ones to front on a FWD car but experts say to fit new ones to rear - if the front slides out you can control it but if rear slides then you can't hence their reasoning

I've just recieved a pair of Hankook evo K117s in the post today to be fitted at the weekend, i ordered a pair of Kumhos which are still on route and can't cancel them so will be putting them up for sale as soon as they arrive

Put your best tyres on your driven wheels. The 'put them on the rear' thing makes sense if you are driving the car at its limits, but noone does that on the road. Noone sensible anyway...

Swap your front and back tyres over. They won't wear on the back, and you can wear down the front ones and change all 4 at once. You can usually get a bigger discount on 4 tyres than 2.

Best tyres on rear , always .

+1

Mentioned just recently on another thread that my local, well-respected ATS chap is talking up Michelin Crossclimates. I'm in the same boat as you, in that my factory Contis will need replacing soon. 21,000 miles to date, but noisy. Seriously considering these Crossclimates.

Reactions: richinsoton
Same car as you and i highly recommend Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3. I don't drive lightly and i got 15k out of the front set.

asda tyres, sounds odd but beats most places i found round my parts

I would advise checking the date stamp on the sidewall of your 'new' tyres as Asda buy a lot of old stock so your 'new' tyres might actually be a couple of years older than you think they are. Obviously that advice stands for wherever you purchase them from.

Last edited: