potential new buyer............

owieb

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm hoping to enter the s3 world in the next few months ( was weeks but I'm going to take my time as a lot to learn by the looks)

I have a history of performance cars ( 1996 impresa wrx, 2001 m3, 2004 cupra r,2006 gti and a 2008 focus st )

my main question is reliability and costs .... I currently own a diesel 2015 Volvo xc60 and am keen to get into the performance world as my circumstances have recently changed and I don't need such a large vehicle now :)

I love the s3 I really do is it a case of buying a good used one with plenty of history to ensure no massive bills??

I'm going to be using it alongside my other car which may also be changed, so will just be evenings and weekends and under 5k a year I would imagine so the fuel is fine its just I don't want to get lumbered with a massive bill for a car that I wont use a lot lol

thanks in advance

Hi guys I'm hoping to enter the s3 world in the next few months ( was weeks but I'm going to take my time as a lot to learn by the looks)

I have a history of performance cars ( 1996 impresa wrx, 2001 m3, 2004 cupra r,2006 gti and a 2008 focus st )

my main question is reliability and costs .... I currently own a diesel 2015 Volvo xc60 and am keen to get into the performance world as my circumstances have recently changed and I don't need such a large vehicle now :)

I love the s3 I really do is it a case of buying a good used one with plenty of history to ensure no massive bills??

I'm going to be using it alongside my other car which may also be changed, so will just be evenings and weekends and under 5k a year I would imagine so the fuel is fine its just I don't want to get lumbered with a massive bill for a car that I wont use a lot lol

thanks in advance

We'll all like to know the answer to that question. I'm afraid it's like buying any other car, sometimes you buy a good 'un and sometimes you don't.

Reactions: enc and owieb
When you say S3, do you mean the 8P or later 8V and what is your budget?
As with any purchase though, research it properly first, decide what options are important to you and get an idea of what prices the different models fetch.
If piece of mind is important, then go main dealer as the warranty is the best you'll get.

Reactions: owieb
When you say S3, do you mean the 8P or later 8V and what is your budget?
As with any purchase though, research it properly first, decide what options are important to you and get an idea of what prices the different models fetch.
If piece of mind is important, then go main dealer as the warranty is the best you'll get.

Second that - the warranty has saved me 2k in 8 months . New clutch and flywheel & new haldex unit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: -Ju-
Second that - the warranty has saved me 2k in 8 months . New clutch and flywheel & new haldex unit

Saved me over £6k on a new S-tronic box!

Reactions: Muggles190
Apologises meant 8p budget of up to £13k............

wow some big bills !!!!!!!!!

Like a few have said it's really a lottery with used cars. All you can do is make sure it's fsh and check the common problems . Clutchs are weak on the manuals , make sure the haldex works properly and has had its servicing when needed. Then all you can do is pray you got a good one.

Reactions: owieb
Like a few have said it's really a lottery with used cars. All you can do is make sure it's fsh and check the common problems . Clutchs are weak on the manuals , make sure the haldex works properly and has had its servicing when needed. Then all you can do is pray you got a good one.

Cheers its an expensive mistake if I choose the wrong one by the sounds :-( I have time on my side and I am meticulous when it comes to research so ill get on it :)