Advice needed on garage repair...audi s5

Djayswitch

Reaction score
Hi there this is my first post on here i just signed up as really want some advice/info here to put my mind at rest. So a couple days ago my S5 went in for its MOT at a trusted local garage. its an 09 and had no problems or advisories thus far, ive had it 2 years now. It failed needing a replacement front passenger side ball joint that was excessively worn. As they were replacing the part, the front wheel bearer arm? (Think ive got that right) has cracked all the way through, theyre telling me it must have been a weak spot as it should be able to take a lot of abuse before cracking like that, they said i had 2 options, one was to weld it which they did not recommend for safety reasons the other , much more expensive but safe option was to replace the entire suspension arm wheel bearer and housing and obviously the ball joint too. Ended up costed me 750 quid which im pretty ****** off about considering its a strange thing to happen which im questioning wether it could have been avoided. Do i have any leg to stand on here trying to get them to pay for the replacement parts as its cracked due to their efforts or is this a known problem that does occur? Ive never really known of this sort of thing to happen. I dont want to start a dispute with them as they are a reliable garage who i have used for years. Any advice is appreciated.

Surprised you haven't had a reply this week so far.

I'm not knowledgable in the mechanics side to say whether it should have failed like it did but, it may be that the excessive wear on the ball joint had put additional stress onto the bearer arm causing premature failure?

Acid test is "do you trust the garage"? You say you have used them for years and they are reliable. Having an unfortunate unplanned additional cost doesn't change this does it?

FWIW I had a steering rack failure on my old Audi and they then advised me that the steering pump needed replacing as well - an extra £450 IIRC but I didn't think that is was any fault of the garage or they were being economical with the truth.