Garage repair cost....any advice appreciated

Djayswitch

Reaction score
Hi this is my first post on here i just signed up as really want some advice/info here to put my mind at rest. So a couple days ago my S5 went in for its MOT at a trusted local garage. its an 09 and had no problems or advisories thus far, ive had it 2 years now. It failed needing a replacement front passenger side ball joint that was excessively worn. As they were replacing the part, the front wheel bearer arm? (Think ive got that right) has cracked all the way through, theyre telling me it must have been a weak spot as it should be able to take a lot of abuse before cracking like that, they said i had 2 options, one was to weld it which they did not recommend for safety reasons the other , much more expensive but safe option was to replace the entire suspension arm wheel bearer and housing and obviously the ball joint too. Ended up costed me 750 quid which im pretty ****** off about considering its a strange thing to happen which im questioning wether it could have been avoided. Do i have any leg to stand on here trying to get them to pay for the replacement parts as its cracked due to their efforts or is this a known problem that does occur? Ive never really known of this sort of thing to happen. I dont want to start a dispute with them as they are a reliable garage who i have used for years. Any advice is appreciated.

Hi this is my first post on here i just signed up as really want some advice/info here to put my mind at rest. So a couple days ago my S5 went in for its MOT at a trusted local garage. its an 09 and had no problems or advisories thus far, ive had it 2 years now. It failed needing a replacement front passenger side ball joint that was excessively worn. As they were replacing the part, the front wheel bearer arm? (Think ive got that right) has cracked all the way through, theyre telling me it must have been a weak spot as it should be able to take a lot of abuse before cracking like that, they said i had 2 options, one was to weld it which they did not recommend for safety reasons the other , much more expensive but safe option was to replace the entire suspension arm wheel bearer and housing and obviously the ball joint too. Ended up costed me 750 quid which im pretty ****** off about considering its a strange thing to happen which im questioning wether it could have been avoided. Do i have any leg to stand on here trying to get them to pay for the replacement parts as its cracked due to their efforts or is this a known problem that does occur? Ive never really known of this sort of thing to happen. I dont want to start a dispute with them as they are a reliable garage who i have used for years. Any advice is appreciated.
Hi mate. My a4 had the exact same thing a few weeks ago mate I did a post about it. See the photos attached of what mine looked like. My mechanic thinks whoever put the ball joint on over tightened the bolt that holds it in place and thus cracking the housing. Does look like a weak point. I paid 800 but that was with an oil change and mot price and rear pads. I think the housing alone is 380 quid from Audi so that price sounds about right matey.

IMG 0775
IMG 0777
IMG 0776

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Djayswitch and Ghost
Yeah mate this is exactly the same thing as what happened to mine. Yeah mine was included as part of the mot and included vat and labour so total cost 750. Guess its about right then. Such a sickening thing to have to fork out for i could buy a ****** milltek system for that. Still sick about it lol.

One of the many reasons torque wrenches should be used on critical components.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk