Performance issues

fm4826

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone have performance issues with their RS3 when giving the car alot of stick for a while? I have noticed that it can lag between gears especially from 3rd to 4th the revs do not flow and seems to lag. I have a stage 1 APR upgrade as well. My RS3 is only 2 months old. Not sure if the engine is running too hot & computer giving it slightly less power due to heat or outside heat... also changed the D cats. Anyone else feel this kind of lag and less power at times?

Keep a close eye on the traction control light, even at high speed I've had some TC interference ehich ******* power

Reactions: fm4826
Press the sport button as it slackens TC off a bit.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Hi, does anyone have performance issues with their RS3 when giving the car alot of stick for a while? I have noticed that it can lag between gears especially from 3rd to 4th the revs do not flow and seems to lag. I have a stage 1 APR upgrade as well. My RS3 is only 2 months old. Not sure if the engine is running too hot & computer giving it slightly less power due to heat or outside heat... also changed the D cats. Anyone else feel this kind of lag and less power at times?

The RS3 8V suffers from heatsoak, the standard intercooler really struggles to keep intake temps under control if you have been sitting in traffic for a while, or even giving it plenty of full throttle runs between roundabouts on the local ring road (if you know what I mean). If the ECU sees intake temps rise over a certain temperature it will reign in the power to protect the engine, which in turn will make the performance feel flat. When you add a re-map, the extra performance only adds to this problem which is why an uprated intercooler is an essential adition to a tuned engine on the RS3.

There is another little foible too. The boost control on the RS3 can be a bit flaky and tends to be a bit erratic sometimes, its possible that your re-map may be highlighting it due to the extra power and torque demand in mid range. Most good tuners can smooth this out when doing a live custom map on a dyno. If you have gone for a 'plug and play ' and drive away jobbie then you will not have had the benefit of this.

Reactions: bqik and fm4826
The RS3 8V suffers from heatsoak, the standard intercooler really struggles to keep intake temps under control if you have been sitting in traffic for a while, or even giving it plenty of full throttle runs between roundabouts on the local ring road (if you know what I mean). If the ECU sees intake temps rise over a certain temperature it will reign in the power to protect the engine, which in turn will make the performance feel flat. When you add a re-map, the extra performance only adds to this problem which is why an uprated intercooler is an essential adition to a tuned engine on the RS3.

There is another little foible too. The boost control on the RS3 can be a bit flaky and tends to be a bit erratic sometimes, its possible that your re-map may be highlighting it due to the extra power and torque demand in mid range. Most good tuners can smooth this out when doing a live custom map on a dyno. If you have gone for a 'plug and play ' and drive away jobbie then you will not have had the benefit of this.

Thank you for that. I am going to look into this

Keep a close eye on the traction control light, even at high speed I've had some TC interference ehich ******* power

Is it best to drive without traction control when giving it alot?

That up to you bud. I drive with it held down for more than 5seconds so you get the esc off warning not just the sports tc. Even then it's not fully off as when getting sideways it still cuts in rather annoyingly

I get this too but only since I fitted MPSS and got rid of the P-zeros. I usually drive with traction control off when having a bit of fun.

Waiting for new 2.5tfsi engine and looking if its IC is better.

great explanation.

regards

Talking of temperatures, after finally locating the oil temp gauge, was surprised to see it holds steady at 90 degrees, going up towards 100 degrees with some right toe. My Golf R always sat above 100, even taking it easy.

Waiting for new 2.5tfsi engine and looking if its IC is better.

great explanation.

regards

I saw an article which explained all the new components on the new engine (would post it here but can't seem to find it again :shrug:), it has variable valve timing, twin fuel injection, new turbo and inlet, and ............. a rivised intercooler! Hoooray! Lots of new alloy bits too of course.