Should I get it?

Novw

Reaction score
Hi, my first post here though I've been lurking in the forum for quite some time. :)

I currently own a 15 plate TTS but want that 5-cyl + usable rear seats. So, I'm about buying a used RS3 but have some buyers remorse since the new facelift is coming and it's hard to predict pricing on both the FL and used ones.

Theres not many RS3s on the market where I live and prices are quite high. Looking at one nicely specced 16 plate with 20k kilometers on the clock. Mrrp was 69 200€, now selling for 54 300€.

I'm already pushing the limit in what I want to pay for an RS3 so a FL won't be within budget I guess, + the wait.

What do you think about the price. Does it sound reasonable considering mileage and FL on its way?

So, should I get it or wait for more used pre FL to hit the market as the FL arrives?

If you can't afford the FL then absolutely get the pre FL. I was in a similar predicament and took the plunge to go for a 16 plate nearly new RS3 with all the toys. Like for like on a FL I've probably saved the best part of £10-£15k. The engine is utterly, crazily, fantastically bonkers. The interior is exactly the same as the FL except for the virtual dash and a slightly different steering wheel. You will not regret the purchase.

Reactions: RGBARGEE, Beebee-one and Terminator x
If you can't afford the FL then absolutely get the pre FL. I was in a similar predicament and took the plunge to go for a 16 plate nearly new RS3 with all the toys. Like for like on a FL I've probably saved the best part of £10-£15k. The engine is utterly, crazily, fantastically bonkers. The interior is exactly the same as the FL except for the virtual dash and a slightly different steering wheel. You will not regret the purchase.

Thanks D0C! I have virtual cockpit today and I love it, not essential though and since it's not included in the base spec according to my Audi dealer a FL RS3 with VC, Sports Exhaust, Magnetic Ride, Sunroof, B&O etc would surely crush my budget.

So you think it's a reasonable deal then, considering mrrp and current FL on the way?

Where are you? It looks from the prices that you are in a EU country that thinks that anyone wanting a spirited car is fair game, such as Portugal or France.

If this is the case, then you accept the high start off price, but do consider if you buy a FL car new you will also be stung for several thousand euros gas emission tax (or does your 69k€ include this?) in other words a pre FL might be more attractive.

If it were me, I'd wait for the FL if only for the virtual dash..!

Where are you? It looks from the prices that you are in a EU country that thinks that anyone wanting a spirited car is fair game, such as Portugal or France.

If this is the case, then you accept the high start off price, but do consider if you buy a FL car new you will also be stung for several thousand euros gas emission tax (or does your 69k€ include this?) in other words a pre FL might be more attractive.

If it were me, I'd wait for the FL if only for the virtual dash..!

I'm in Sweden, and yeah prices are quite high here. I will pay a yearly tax in addition but that's just about 200€. Just debating weather to wait for more pre FL models to hit the market or take the plunge now and enjoy it over spring/summer. As long as FL prices don't start lower than the previous model the current model won't be taking that big of a hit right? Anyone got experience from previous pre FL RS purchases and can give some advice?

I live in France and that price is pretty good imo.
Having looked (pictures only) at the FL version it is hard to justify the difference, just buy the one you have found and regard it as a run in much cheaper version, it is hardly slow is it (35hp won't make that much different day to day I reckon). My local dealer reckons knocking on the door of 70k euro for a half decent spec'd one here which makes the one you have found pretty good value.

It's only 10hp different as PFL RS3 runs at about 400hp anyway. FL has more torque though.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: T-800
It could be that the new engine also puts out more power than claimed...

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
I live in France ........ My local dealer reckons knocking on the door of 70k euro for a half decent spec'd one here which makes the one you have found pretty good value.

Then you have the 4.8k€ gas and transfer tax on top...

Whilst I welcome the new power increase ... come on Guys, is it gonna be THAT noticeable from the current cars ?
It does give Audi a reason to 'sell it up' over the current car, but I think its more about giving the car more BHP than the Merc A45 Amg.
These cars goes like hell as it is, any faster & we run the risk of hitting over 70 mph in insane times lol :)

I am quite happy with the power as is & even the handling is fine for my needs day to day and mag ride in dynamic enables me to go round corners as fast as I am comfortable with or need to on public roads, without shredding my tyres.

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3, Novw and Radman
400ps / 394bhp.

It will definitely be more powerful than the pre FL. And let's not kid ourselves, more power is always nice!

Reactions: Jassyo06
TTRS has been on rollers at 410hp. Same engine in FL RS3 of course.

TX.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and D0C
Thanks for your answers! Of course the FL will be more powerful, that's nothing I really care about though since pre FL will be fast enough by a large margin for our roads. Still has the epic soundtrack.

Gonna miss the VC a little, but at the same time I won't have to live with the new headlight design and save some £. Anyways, seems like you guys think it's an ok deal then, and I'm leaning towards buying it. :racer:

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3, Radman, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person
Thanks for your answers! Of course the FL will be more powerful, that's nothing I really care about though since pre FL will be fast enough by a large margin for our roads. Still has the epic soundtrack.

Gonna miss the VC a little, but at the same time I won't have to live with the new headlight design and save some £. Anyways, seems like you guys think it's an ok deal then, and I'm leaning towards buying it. :racer:
Put it this way. I have been away and came home today after a week. First thing I did was take the car out.
What a machine. End of

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3, Terminator x, Snake Pliskin and 1 other person
If I was in a position to pull the trigger on that price of car, I'd have already bought it. :friends:

Reactions: Jassyo06, Spaceman_RS3 and Snake Pliskin
I would buy one and it would have to be in Nardo grey.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Scottyg
It's only 10hp different as PFL RS3 runs at about 400hp anyway. FL has more torque though.

TX.

This.....l don't get if the current RS3 (362) bhp runs at nearly 400 bhp then a facelift car (392)bhp with this logic applied should run well over 400 bhp also extra torque makes more of a difference than extra bhp, to sum up the new car will be a good bit quicker

This.....l don't get if the current RS3 (362) bhp runs at nearly 400 bhp then a facelift car (392)bhp with this logic applied should run well over 400 bhp also extra torque makes more of a difference than extra bhp, to sum up the new car will be a good bit quicker

It depends what the 30 bhp is made off? If its just software for instance boost pressure and so on the upgrade isn't worth very much but if hardware is better for instance turbo and so on than it is a better/stronger ground to go from.

Look in your inbox, PM sent to you :).

Like you say jassy it's the much increased torque that will provide the. Hugest change in performance. I think the new car will be a great drive and slightly faster than the current one and corner a touch more precisely.

That's how it should be with a improvement though.

In real world driving there will be no real difference when on a blast up your local backroad just like how most the other hot hatches will stick with the current one. Well if it's dry lol.

Reactions: Terminator x
Like you say jassy it's the much increased torque that will provide the. Hugest change in performance. I think the new car will be a great drive and slightly faster than the current one and corner a touch more precisely.

That's how it should be with a improvement though.

In real world driving there will be no real difference when on a blast up your local backroad just like how most the other hot hatches will stick with the current one. Well if it's dry lol.

Yeah the 400 ps is purely for getting one over the AMG 45 and bragging rights,it's not that l will ever have the chance to use all that power anyway, l just want one for the sound, looks and the badge lol

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Spaceman_RS3
Typically I've seen the pre FL putting out on average between 380-390bhp, with someone getting over 400bhp! If the TTRS has already been on the rollers at 410bhp, then that sounds about right to me.

Spaceman - do you reckon the RS3 sounds better than the TTRS with the new engine then? I've listened to them back to back...there's a definite difference in sound. Both sound great...possibly the RS3 with the 367ps engine edges it, but it's close!

Reactions: Terminator x and Spaceman_RS3
Not heard in person but load the guys on the chat had a meet and had a new ttrs there and the current rs3 with sports sounds better and pops and bangs alot more. That's not to say the ttrs didn't sound good it still sounded fantastic

Plus on the move the ttrs times are seriously fast on the old vbox a proper difference that engine makes plus I guess it's lower weight.

Get current one then jassy if it's for sound

Tried that last November my son couldn't find the right specced car in the Lookers group for me,l wouldn't want a used car anyway too fussy and as this is my last car l rent, it's got to be a bit special

Plus on the move the ttrs times are seriously fast on the old vbox a proper difference that engine makes plus I guess it's lower weight.

Going for a test drive next week need to hear how good it is?

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3
Yeah the 400 ps is purely for getting one over the AMG 45 and bragging rights,it's not that l will ever have the chance to use all that power anyway, l just want one for the sound, looks and the badge lol

The 400ps hot hatch club will shortly be joined by the new A45 AMG which is rumoured to have 'more than 400ps' from an all new engine. The hot hatch stakes get raised again!

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mercedes/a-class/92094/next-gen-mercedes-amg-a-45-will-get-400bhp-plus

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
The 400ps hot hatch club will shortly be joined by the new A45 AMG which is rumoured to have 'more than 400ps' from an all new engine. The hot hatch stakes get raised again!

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/mercedes/a-class/92094/next-gen-mercedes-amg-a-45-will-get-400bhp-plus

Jeeeeesus those tyres are HUGE !!!!!

I've never got as far as driving an A45 AMG.
Each time I sat in the car, I decided it was too plasticky & a bit claustrophobic feeling.

Got an S5 the first time and RS3 the second time :)

I think the Merc owners complain of a lot of 'issues' too ... although the RS3 is plagued with plenty of 'issues' too !!!!!

The current AMG45 is a very rare on the roads around my area, l have only seen 3 and none where the new facelift car,probably a good reason for this

The current AMG45 is a very rare on the roads around my area, l have only seen 3 and none where the new facelift car,probably a good reason for this

Can't see me jumping ship from Audi for a Merc tbh.
I saw an S5 the other day on the road and thought then how Audi's just have such a nice look to them - across the whole range.
I'm not drawn to Mercs or BMW's in this way at all - inside or out.

Can't see me jumping ship from Audi for a Merc tbh.
I saw an S5 the other day on the road and thought then how Audi's just have such a nice look to them - across the whole range.
I'm not drawn to Mercs or BMW's in this way at all - inside or out.
Ditto mate have you seen the new RS5 acceleration/exterior /interior video is frickin awesome if not have a butchers

Ditto mate have you seen the new RS5 acceleration/exterior /interior video is frickin awesome if not have a butchers

I haven't mate so will go check it out & no doubt drool :)

I wonder what the new Audi and Merc power units would be producing if the canned VW Golf 400R had ever made it to production? The Focus RS is going to have to come up with something a bit special to stay in touch as well (more than the current 375ps Mountune package is offering).
Over 400PS standard factory power output from a hatchback - YeeeHa! :rock:

Plenty of ex A45 owners moving over to the RS3.

Tx.

Reactions: Radman and Snake Pliskin
Plenty of ex A45 owners moving over to the RS3.

Tx.

What is the biggest issue to switch from the A45? They are both hatches and both in the three fastest and so on? If I had choosed A45 I probably had keeped it aswell, I don't get it?

Better sound and easier to tune afaik. If I can find a post or two from them I'll copy it over.

TX.