Ashtray delete illumination help

The LED bar for lighting the ashtray?

It doesn't connect to your CC. With the CC out, the light bar slips into the plastic section above the pocket/below the CC.

Look at #37 here: https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/ashtray-delete-non-smoker-tray-retrofit-pic-heavy.151732/

The light bar fits down the back. Can't be more specific than that sorry.

Surprised there's no CLEAR guide on actually putting on the LED bar light!
#37 post doesn't actually show exactly where it slots into but I appreciate you looking it up and I've get the gist... I'm just concerned that my CC unit is different to the rest as you have witnessed for yourself!

P.S. mjr901 didnt reply to my message on Messenger. Audi charges for both LED light parts for £26.24.

Surprised there's no CLEAR guide on actually putting on the LED bar light!
#37 post doesn't actually show exactly where it slots into but I appreciate you looking it up and I've get the gist... I'm just concerned that my CC unit is different to the rest as you have witnessed for yourself!

P.S. mjr901 didnt reply to my message on Messenger. Audi charges for both LED light parts for £26.24.

Not everything is documented - I just gave it a go and managed to work it out. It wasn't until I had completed it and reassembled that I considered photos. I wasn't going to take it apart just for this (some photos).

Use the photos as a guide - see how you get on. As I mentioned, the LED light bar has nothing to do with the CC. However, you need to remove the CC to fit the light bar.

MJR901 may be on leave - we've had a Bank Holiday so give him some time. He works 9-5 like many of us too.

Regarding your process - I've actually found Audi to be competitively priced, if not a better price for parts than eBay.

Wire seems a bit short. Don't see how it will reach the back once the ashtray delete cover goes in... Can you confirm this is normal please?
Yet to pick up the parts so can't test fitting yet.

Attachments

• IMG_8661.JPG
    IMG_8661.JPG
    637.1 KB · Views: 395
Hard to tell from that photo but it’s just long enough. Could you add a pic a little further back?

You may be able to take the loom apart, that these wires are a part of, to get some extra length - sorry, it been 15mths since I did mine.

Some get a repair wire and extent the existing wires:https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/183121106374
Really appreciate your time and effort Sam!
I've managed to stretch the wire further n now in a position to fix the LED bar light
Basically the wire was stuck down to the base with a white plastic clip type thing - see pic. Having lifted that it now just about reaches the bottom!
You're right, it's a stretch but just about reaches the bottom

Attachments

• IMG_8670.JPG
    IMG_8670.JPG
    621.1 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_8676.JPG
    IMG_8676.JPG
    384.1 KB · Views: 388
I actuallly think I fed the wire under that black plastic piece, otherwise the new pocket wouldn’t sit flat. I suspect it will be fine, just whilst the tray was out it was easy enough to run under.

When all your parts arrive fit the light bar first. I should have taken some pics but unfortunately not - I did it at 10pm at night with a mobile phone torch for light. And now I’ve fitted the new CC I wouldnt be able to easily take it out.

I actuallly think I fed the wire under that black plastic piece, otherwise the new pocket wouldn’t sit flat. I suspect it will be fine, just whilst the tray was out it was easy enough to run under.

When all your parts arrive fit the light bar first. I should have taken some pics but unfortunately not - I did it at 10pm at night with a mobile phone torch for light. And now I’ve fitted the new CC I wouldnt be able to easily take it out.

Thanks

Some posts mention single and others double DIN setup. Depending on that the light cover is different. I'm guessing mine is double and the part number is correct;

- Diffuser/light cover: 8P0 864 138 A4 PK
- LED Light Bar: 8P0 857 355

P.S. Why can't I use the light bar from the ashtray? I'll post a picture of it tonight. Does the same job right?

Thanks

Some posts mention single and others double DIN setup. Depending on that the light cover is different. I'm guessing mine is double and the part number is correct;

- Diffuser/light cover: 8P0 864 138 A4 PK
- LED Light Bar: 8P0 857 355

P.S. Why can't I use the light bar from the ashtray? I'll post a picture of it tonight. Does the same job right?

Please forgive my ignorance as there's no clear guide out there with pics on putting on the ambient lighting!

So I need to buy;
1 - Diffuser/light cover: 8P0 864 138 A4 PK

That's the firstborn pic I've attached right?

2 - - LED Light Bar: 8P0 857 355

Then; that's the 3rd n 4th pic right?

And I put this together like pic 5???
Following the instructions obviously!

Attachments

• IMG_8677.PNG
    IMG_8677.PNG
    714.9 KB · Views: 545
  • IMG_8678.PNG
    IMG_8678.PNG
    638.4 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_8683.PNG
    IMG_8683.PNG
    763.5 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_8682.PNG
    IMG_8682.PNG
    575.2 KB · Views: 358
  • IMG_8681.PNG
    IMG_8681.PNG
    976.3 KB · Views: 534
Hi @Raul_Breganzo - you’re nearly there. Again, sorry for not taking any pic and posting a guide when I did this.

Photo 3&4, the led-bar is the same as I used so I assume it’s correct. You can see how that fits in pic 2, but it's fitted from the top (under the cc).

Photo 1 & 5 looks a different cover to what I used however for your model it could be correct. Note - this cover isn’t really needed - it’s more cosmetic and you won’t notice it.

Take a look at the first couple of posts here but there is more pics throughout. Open it in Chrome and it will translate.
http://audi-a3club.ru/showthread.php?t=316

Hi @Raul_Breganzo - you’re nearly there. Again, sorry for not taking any pic and posting a guide when I did this.

Photo 3&4, the led-bar is the same as I used so I assume it’s correct. You can see how that fits in pic 2, but it's fitted from the top (under the cc).

Photo 1 & 5 looks a different cover to what I used however for your model it could be correct. Note - this cover isn’t really needed - it’s more cosmetic and you won’t notice it.

Take a look at the first couple of posts here but there is more pics throughout. Open it in Chrome and it will translate.
http://audi-a3club.ru/showthread.php?t=316

Thanks @samuelh_888, that link has a good few pics in it.

Ok, if thats case I just need to buy the tray and LED Light Bar: 8P0 857 355?

I was thinking why I need the cover because the light bar has the required 'glass/reflection' to spread the light!

MJR901 just got back to me - my messages went into some spam folder lol. He's quoted me the same as main dealers with free delivery so I might as well support and just order the 2 parts from him.

P.S. how did you take the wire under the black piece? Did you attach it to something and then used it to feed to the top? There's not much room to mono-eve the wire with your hands and there's not many places for the wire to come out from! lol

Reactions: samuelh_888
P.S. how did you take the wire under the black piece? Did you attach it to something and then used it to feed to the top? There's not much room to mono-eve the wire with your hands and there's not many places for the wire to come out from! lol

Exactly that - fed it through the best I could then used a hook to grab it and pull up. It's super tight but just enough to clip into the light bar.

All sorted now, I think lol! Thanks for all your help, esp Sam!

P.S. I don't think I needed to take off the CC to put in my lightbar?
SO GLAD I did put the lightbar in, makes all the difference! Thanks for convincing me Sam!

Attachments

• IMG_8788.JPG
    IMG_8788.JPG
    430.4 KB · Views: 373
  • IMG_8791.JPG
    IMG_8791.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 393
  • IMG_8792.JPG
    IMG_8792.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 373
  • IMG_8797.JPG
    IMG_8797.JPG
    1,006.6 KB · Views: 483
  • IMG_8799.JPG
    IMG_8799.JPG
    518.6 KB · Views: 386
Reactions: samuelh_888
All sorted now, I think lol! Thanks for all your help, esp Sam!

P.S. I don't think I needed to take off the CC to put in my lightbar?
SO GLAD I did put the lightbar in, makes all the difference! Thanks for convincing me Sam!
Perhaps a bit late, but I just installed it and see that you have the lightbar installed incorrectly. As you might've felt, it doesn't click in somewhere nor does it sit well like that. You have to put it in between the plastic tray which is accessible from behind the climate control unit. You'll hear a click once it's in place. See here.