Tyre Noise?

DOBBO41

A3 1.6 TDI Sport 8P 2010
Reaction score
IMG 0792
Ok, the car came with faily new maxis tyres all round 225/40/18 with a v type tread pattern, the car has had new front wheel bearings both sides and new discs and brembo pads all round, the problem I have is the noise . It sounds like bearings but I don't get it when turning just on strait roads and above 30 mph and it was awful on a trip up to Heathrow today,the rumbling noise is also very bad whilst slowing for a round about or lights etc, the noise is a rumbling /whine type noise , could it be those tyres? They are not very old and have no unusual wear and on factory Audi alloys.

Last edited:
Nice car, mine looks the exact same (colour and wheels)!

Don't rule out the wheel bearings at the rear. I had them replaced and it's made a noticeable improvement, although my front wheel bearings need doing (car is on 130k+ miles). Are maxxis on the premium or mid-range side of tyres? I would have though they were sort of mid-range. I know for sure that budget tyres make a lot of road noise in general!

I've noticed most tyres on A3's are noisy but now I have a facelift there is extra insulation on the bulkhead under the glovebox and to the floor. Also changed my tyres to Falken ze 914 which are low noise.

I had dunlop sportmaxx used almost to max and rear right was noisy as hell, i thought it was wheel bearings.
But at the end i bought pirelli and then i saw that tire was repaired, there was hole in it.
Anyway it was just tyre

Hi there, I recently changed the wheel bearings/hub kit on my A3 both front and rear driverside just jack the car up handbrake off and spin the wheels if there gone they make a terrible noise was getting bad vibration through the car, my tyres are Pirelli p zero very good Hope this helps, also make sure you put your car in gear

Thanks for the reply , I am going to get the car up on a ramp one night this week and see if I can pin it down, thing is I get the loud rumble when pulling up to a stop from the front , but the whine seems more from the rear, maybe a mix of tyre and w/bearing .. will post my findings once up on the ramp.

I changed my tyres recently to Barum Bravauris 3HM and the road noise difference is phenominal compared to the Michelin's I had on before. Barum are made by Continental and they grip in the wet and dry superbly.

Just shows, you DONT need to spend stupid money on tyres, I never have and after 27 years driving I am still in one piece.

I had a 4 wheel alignment done on my Mk 4 Golf at a VW garage after having a new front pair of tyres. Afterwards there was a strange noise coming from the rear. I took the car back and the mechanic told me that the adjustment had been a long way out and so the rear tyres I waa keeping had worn in a strange way. He proved it by putting on the unused spare and the noise went away.
As the rear tyres still had lots of life in them yet I decided to put up with the noise that was only really noticeable at slow speeds.
Fast forwards 15,000 miles and I went to my local tyre place for a full set of tyres and I asked them to check the alignment. It appeared that the VW chap had made a mistake as the adjustment was massively wrong. This had caused the noise on the part worn tyres.
4 new continentals and a fresh alignment resulted in no tyre noise since.
So it might be worth getting your alignment checked.

I changed three wheel bearings on my old A3 before finally accepting that the noise was coming from cheap and nasty tyres.
Once they were changed, the problem was solved.