Rear number plate light out!

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
Anyone had any issues with rear number plate lights been out?

I have LED's fitted in both sides and notice the other day the passenger side one not working. Now my holders can be a right pain to get the connectors to line up to make contact. The lights have been fine for months.

Went out early to look at changing it and could I get it to work, could I hell as.

I think the connector plates in the plinth are the issue and not the bulb holder. I tried a standard bulb and it flicked on for a second then out again.

Any ideas?

I did Carl, did think is it that but the drivers side works fine! So that to me eliminates the resistor?

I would unplug it just to make sure as if both work but throws an error and maybe flickers you'll know if it's the loom. I would say swap them over but are yours the full units or just the bulbs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll try it for nothing.

The drivers side is fine, no flickering etc. The passenger side is just totally dead, very strange.

check to make sure all the metal points are well cleaned and free of dirt and corrosion. maybe a squirt of some wd40 on the looms. this time of year condensation can be rife.

Reactions: DrStrange
As Ian has said and also have you a multi meter to check the wiring to ensure that voltage is there and then you should be able to see where it's dead.

Just about to say, could I use a multi meter in the contact plates to see if I'm actually getting 12v?

I'll check that first. Then I think it may a strip down depending on what the multi meter says.

Sorted.

The plates were getting 12v, cleaned them up a little and removed the drivers side to check, same 12v, went to go refit the drivers side and guess what. Nothing.

Fitted a new set of complete LED units I have and they worked, I realised the old holders are just shot. The prongs just are knackered.

New Ines fitted but they arnt perfect in how they fit but they'll do for now.

Reactions: carlcall
Bang on with what Ian said.

Glad its sorted but to remedy the situation if it pops up again is to attach some wet and dry sandpaper to the end of a chop stick and swipe the 2 metal connectors that line up with number plate light led housing. Swipe in one direction only carefully and blow away the excess off.

Then spray electrical cleaner on it and re connect.

:)

Also didn't that Dan . Just need to sort the new led light holders out now and be get them properly fitted.

Reactions: DrStrange