Balance shafts - how much of an issue?

m1tch

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wondering how many people have had issues with their balance shafts, I know the best route to fix it is to remove the TFSi system and fit the 1.8T oil system instead which requires a fair bit of work as the gear needs to be swapped over on the crankshaft etc. I have also seen that some people have simply disabled the balance shafts by removing the drive gear to them to stop the issues - am I correct to say that both methods would mean that the engine could have additional vibrations?

I believe that the later TFSi engines in the B8 have their balance shafts gear driven rather than chain driven, are these interchangeable at all?

The TFSI might sound like a tractor, but it's buttery smooth compared to a lot of 4 bangers. I'd hate to lose that, so I'd be inclined to fix rather than remove them.

With the petrols is this purely a chain tensioner issue unlike derv ?

I'm not actually sure, I don't yet have the project car, I know the limit on them is 14k rpm (spin twice as fast as the engine) but I know some have simply disabled them by removing a drive gear or swapped over to a 1.8t oil pump setup - both options mean no balance shafts so I am not sure what that would do with the balance of the engine.

I am guessing that the engine's rotating assembly is balanced the same way as normal engines but the balance shafts are just there to counteract the firing order of the 4 cylinder engine?