Audi S4 vs A1 ... A Story Of Two Cars

TipToe

Reaction score
Before I start this review, allow me to take 10 minutes of your time to explain the journey and how I have come to this point of owning both a new 17 Audi S4 and A1.

I have been fortunate to own some reasonably quick cars and have a history of never keeping them very long, usually 12 – 18 months then it is time to try something new.

My history is mixed and includes cars like the MK4 Golf R32, EVO X SST, M135i, Audi S4 B8.5 Avant and my last car which was an Audi A6 BiTDI (64 Plate). The list does exclude all the ‘normal’ cars I have owned over the years including, 1.4 tdi Polo (One Word, crap!), Golf GTI, Nissan X-Trail and many more.

Last year September we decided to replace the Audi A6 and so when narrowed our two cars to an Audi A3 sport back and Audi S6. The thought of a V8 Audi S6 with COD was something that excited me, I like the Audi A6 platform even if it was a bit dated now.

We proceeded to purchase the Audi A3 from Worthing Audi, which turned out to be plagued with issues. We ordered a 2.0 TFSI Quattro and what arrived was a 2.0 TDI in the wrong colour and with the wrong specification! More on that later, so during this time as we waited for the A3 to arrive we took a test drive in the Audi S6 and travelled almost 100 miles for this.

The Audi S6 was a very capable car but I felt something was missing, it simply did not excite me and the dated technology weighed heavily on my mind. Fast forward a couple of weeks we then decided to place an order for the Audi S6 with Worthing Audi due to the incredible discounts they offer on this model, it amount to 21%.

Then comes the day when we visited them to sign the papers for the new order and once again Worthing Audi had made errors and accounted twice for the finance contribution, which made the discount about 25%. Unfortunately, they had to rescind on their offer but offered to keep the window open for 1 week to enable us to order again as the interest rate set my Audi went from 2.9% to 4.95%.

During the week, the A3 was delivered and incorrect to the specification, to make matters worse we had informed then about 2 weeks after the ordering of the A3 that the tracker had changed from an Audi 2.0 TFSI to a Diesel! To which they replied, “This happens and it is a system error”. They were very apologetic and was surprised at my level of complete calmness, this was merely a result of factoring in the wrong car being delivered so it was not a surprise and if you have had the opportunity to drive a BiTDI A6 then holding on to that car for a little longer would not hurt.

So, after much thought and with the catalogue of errors by Worthing Audi we decided to part company.

We continued to search for the right combination of car and proceeded to take a C43 AMG Estate out for a test drive, we walked away with huge disappointment and simple could not gel with the car. The salesman also offered us a test drive in the A45 AMG and once again the ride was simply too hard and too ‘Boy racer’ for us. Well that closed that chapter.

When we sold the S4 B8.5 after six months of ownership it always saddens me, the reason was primarily because our house was broken into as thieves were looking to steal the car. Both Sharon (Wife) and I decided that it was best to sell up and yes, take a huge loss. This resulted us getting the Audi A6 from Five Oaks Audi and a sales person called Jenny.

So, we arrive at this point in the timeline when we have an Audi A1 and S4, the choice was not a natural one and developed into what we now have. We decided to proceed with using Jenny and Five Oaks Audi because she is not your typical sales person and we like that, I will allow you to read into that statement so to avoid make a stereotypical statement.

It was browsing this forum that I noticed @Brasso thread and the pictures of his new car, it was this that kindled my desire to explore the Audi S4 once again. The Audi A1 was suggested as a passing comment by Jenny when we discussed our options for two new cars. We had our hearts set on an A3 and S4 after much reviewing but then the Audi A1 made more financial sense considering its function.

On the Friday, they 17th we collected both cars, we don’t have a ‘His’ and ‘Her’ car as both cars our ours, albeit each car is registered in a different name with the S4 being in my name.

The drive home in the Audi S4 was simply amazing on every level, the technology has advanced in so many ways from the 64 plate B8.5 version we had. For me it is the simply things that I notice that delight me, for example if I wanted to switch the MMI screen off in the B8.5 S4 then it was multiple clicks through the menu system and then it was off.

Fast forward to the B9 and we have a button that simply switches in on and off, with the virtual cockpit in our S4 then other screen does become semi redundant and only really needed if you are looking deeper into the settings.

Power delivery 10/10

Technology 9/10

Build Quality 9/10

Sound 10/10

Overall 9/10

There is so much more I can say but words are just words for anyone considering buying the S4 then test driving is the only way! However, we did not test drive before we ordered!

The only part of the S4 that I am struggling with is the virtual cockpit and I am probably going to show my ignorance now. But I like the good old fashion ‘Classic’ view of two large dials for speed and rev’s but on the virtual cockpit you don’t get this on the S4, it is either the extended view (Too Small) or the sport view with one large dial in the middle. Having the speed as a digital format in a numeric format just is proving too hard for my limited brain cell to cope with at the moment.

The Audi A1, was the sport back 1.4 TFSI Black Edition with only a few options and we did not spec the £1500 technology pack with has the HDD sat nav, simply ridiculous when my Iphone with Waze does the job with a £20 Belkin car mount holder from amazon.

The car is great and will be used as our daily driver for work, with the S4 used for all other occasions.

So, to conclude, the S4 Avant is simply an incredible car in every aspect with the Audi A1 equally so but for a different reason, we both have no regrets on the choice and in hindsight it makes more sense than the Audi S6 (Out dated technology) and Audi A3.

Spec of our S4

2D2D Navarra blue, metallic

9S8 Audi Virtual Cockpit

9VS Bang & Olufsen 3D Sound System

2Z0 Deletion of model and technology badges at rear

6XL Door mirrors - with memory and auto dimming function. Electrically folding, adjustable and heated

PCN Driver Assistance Pack - Tour

PV3 Electrically adjustable front seats with memory function for the driver's side

2PF Flat bottomed 3-spoke leather trimmed high multi-function steering wheel with chrome clip (and paddles for automatic transmissions)

UH2 Hill hold assist

WB7 Light & Vision Pack

VW6 Privacy glass (side and rear windows) and Acoustic glass (front side windows)

PQI 19" x 8.5J '5- V spoke' design alloy wheels in matt titanium look, diamond cut finish with 245/35 R19 tyres

3GN Rails system with load-securing kit

KA2 Rear-view camera

QE1 Storage Pack

Pictures ( I will Try And Get them Loaded)

[photo=medium]8058[/photo]

[photo=medium]8057[/photo]

[photo=medium]8059[/photo]

Reactions: scotty76, V6_Man, Bungle17 and 6 others
We shall look forward to reading about your next car in - say - 6 months time!

Reactions: Dippy and V6_Man
The large centre dial is not programable on non s cars as far as I understand, if that's what you mean...

The large centre dial is not programable on non s cars as far as I understand, if that's what you mean...
so for his S4 it should work then??

This is covered on page 17 of my manual I believe, sport or classic layout. Or though it does say depending upon the car's equipment..

Not sure whether this is fully covered above, but in the S4 you can choose either the Sport Layout or the Classic Layout for the "big dials" view. When in the sport layout, there is an option using the right hand (options) button to change from Sport layout to classic layout. It takes a few seconds, and you have to be stationary. Once this is changed, the View button will toggle between classic layout and the "small dial" layouts, rather than Sport layout and the small dial layout

Whilst the sport layout is probably good on the track, I think that the classic layout works best for me. The layout also includes sat nav info on the speedo dial when the sat nav is in use.

Reactions: duckduck
IMG 0931
Looks familiar

Reactions: TipToe, Dunders and SMCM69
Went out on our first trip today to Bluewater shopping center. The total journey was circa 70 miles and a mixture of roads, because car has only done a few miles on the clock we took it easy but squeezed the peddle occasionally and maintained the speed limit 70 miles per hour on the M25. I also have ACC on with Predictive Assist enabled, the end result was

[photo=large]8077[/photo]

The ACC with the predictive assist is amazing how on the M25 they had enforced temporary speed reduction from 70 to 60 the 50 and it read the signs and slowed down accordingly.

the above figure was the car in auto settings in drive select with no efficiency mode.

Last edited:
Also cleaned the car :yahoo: and used some 'Fireball Ultimate Nano Coat' hard work but worth it. Taken with Iphone with no editing apart from then number plate.

[photo=medium]8079[/photo]

[photo=medium]8081[/photo]

Reactions: Spaceman_RS3 and scotty76