Facelift A3 Insurance

The Kendragon

Reaction score
Hi guys!

My car will be arriving in the near-future and I'm wondering if you have any recommendations for insurance. I've looked on comparison websites and the cheapest seems to be Co-Op at £2100 with a black box but I'm wondering if there are any companies that aren't on comparison websites that may be cheaper?

I'm 20, passed my test in early February and have a 1.0 A3 on order/arriving soon.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Steven :)

Direct Line are usually pretty reasonable.

I think you'll be stung either way, but give Aviva a try, they also offer an Aviva Drive app that can reduce your premium

Go to moneysavingexpert and follow their process. Can you put your parents on? That usually helps, even if they are not going to drive.

Direct Line are usually pretty reasonable.
They won't offer me a quote :(

I think you'll be stung either way, but give Aviva a try, they also offer an Aviva Drive app that can reduce your premium
They are more expensive than Co-Op but not too bad

Go to moneysavingexpert and follow their process. Can you put your parents on? That usually helps, even if they are not going to drive.
Thanks for that website, there is some good information on there :)

Try comparethemarket.com. GoCompare.com have always been dearer for me even though it's mostly the same insurers quoting on comparethemarket. AXA have been giving me top notch quotes for the S3 that I have done so far, so give them a shout too.

If you've got access to another car, download the app, drive 200 miles like a saint, and you can get up to 40% off the quote I believe
I did have access to another car but now I've just got to wait for mine :(
Try comparethemarket.com. GoCompare.com have always been dearer for me even though it's mostly the same insurers quoting on comparethemarket. AXA have been giving me top notch quotes for the S3 that I have done so far, so give them a shout too.
Looked on comparethemarket.com and found the same Co-Op quote for £400 less so that was ace! :D

Hi Steven,

I've had good experience with Aviva on my first Policy, then they went expensive so I went with General Accident (good, new, online company) and then back to Aviva.

I can also vouch for the 200 mile monitored drive with Aviva. I did it all in 2 days to get it done, I think I got something like 8.9 and if you get above 7.. you get maximum discount, 28%! I had a good few hundred discount, took the policy down to £600 on my 1.4TFSi A3 (2 years no claims at 19).
Your policy will never go up, it can only get cheaper or if you are simply a dangerous driver and score 0 then your policy stays the same price. You can only save money by doing it. I believe, you can use it after taking out a policy and apply the discount later, give them a call!

I'm now with Elephant, part of admiral.

It would be good if you could avoid a black box if at all possible.

I'm 20 like yourself. Currently have a a4 s line quattro. I'm with a viva and pay 1400.. my mum bought it down by 400.

Never knew they had an app to save you money...

I'm 20 like yourself. Currently have a a4 s line quattro. I'm with a viva and pay 1400.. my mum bought it down by 400.

You should download it and drive sensibly for 200 miles, you will potentially save up to £392 off of your premium.

Remember it fluctuates too, I've done 3 quotes online with Direct Line now and they've been £526, £521 and £696! Exact same details each time.

Hi guys!

My car will be arriving in the near-future and I'm wondering if you have any recommendations for insurance. I've looked on comparison websites and the cheapest seems to be Co-Op at £2100 with a black box but I'm wondering if there are any companies that aren't on comparison websites that may be cheaper?

I'm 20, passed my test in early February and have a 1.0 A3 on order/arriving soon.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Steven :)

Insurance companies really take the ****. Over £2k is just unbelievable.

I remember my first years insurance (14years ago though ) I was annoyed having to pay £600 on a Renault 19 1.4 (proper banger).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: The Kendragon
Insurance companies really take the ****. Over £2k is just unbelievable.

I remember my first years insurance (14years ago though ) I was annoyed having to pay £600 on a Renault 19 1.4 (proper banger).

£600! Thats cheap - i paid £1700 for a 1.4 clio when i was 17 & that was with my dad on the policy to keep cost down!

I'm with OneCallInsurance they are very good (broker type of company) Always price match my cheapest quote each year from comparison websites etc

Hi Steven,

I've had good experience with Aviva on my first Policy, then they went expensive so I went with General Accident (good, new, online company) and then back to Aviva.

I can also vouch for the 200 mile monitored drive with Aviva. I did it all in 2 days to get it done, I think I got something like 8.9 and if you get above 7.. you get maximum discount, 28%! I had a good few hundred discount, took the policy down to £600 on my 1.4TFSi A3 (2 years no claims at 19).
Your policy will never go up, it can only get cheaper or if you are simply a dangerous driver and score 0 then your policy stays the same price. You can only save money by doing it. I believe, you can use it after taking out a policy and apply the discount later, give them a call!

I'm now with Elephant, part of admiral.

It would be good if you could avoid a black box if at all possible.
The app sounds like a good idea especially if you can sort the policy and then get the app and discount. I haven't driven too much but I don't drive like an idiot and a black box does sound like a pain :( I'm trying to find options where I don't need one and the cost is less than £4000

I will definitely look into adding my mum then if this is the case :)
Remember it fluctuates too, I've done 3 quotes online with Direct Line now and they've been £526, £521 and £696! Exact same details each time.
I'll keep that in mind. I did find three different quotes for Co-Op depending on the website I used :/
£600! Thats cheap - i paid £1700 for a 1.4 clio when i was 17 & that was with my dad on the policy to keep cost down!

I'm with OneCallInsurance they are very good (broker type of company) Always price match my cheapest quote each year from comparison websites etc
I'll look them up and give them a call. They sound good from what you've said!

The app sounds like a good idea especially if you can sort the policy and then get the app and discount. I haven't driven too much but I don't drive like an idiot and a black box does sound like a pain :(

My girlfriend has a box and it's not as bad as I thought (Tesco Insurance), but it all depends on if you have a good box company with no curfews etc! Try and avoid one, otherwise look at Tesco.

The app is definitely the way to go, get the best quote you can off of Aviva. Trust me with the score, if you keep within the speed limit and don't brake / accelerate like a racing driver, you will get a high score! I just spent the two days trying to see if I could make every gear change seamless so you couldn't feel it through the car (like an auto), it worked obviously. Watch your speed, plenty of time to brake and you will be fine! What's best, if you let it "auto record", you can get to the end of the journey and if you think you did something significantly wrong, you can discard the drive and say it wasn't you driving :D If you start the drive manually yourself, you can't.

I totally sympathise with you, this insurance game is an absolute nightmare. Definitely play around with adding your parents! Mine took my insurance down £2000 on the S3, £1700 now. Sometimes Mum and Dad saves less, you might save more with Mum alone. It's all about spreading the risk sensibly. Like say if you put 5000 annual miles in and just yourself, you will be driving that car for 5000 miles. Otherwise, your Mum for example with 20+ years experience driving could be driving some of that 5000 miles, it's all about 'spreading the risk'.

Reactions: AudiNutta
My girlfriend has a box and it's not as bad as I thought (Tesco Insurance), but it all depends on if you have a good box company with no curfews etc! Try and avoid one, otherwise look at Tesco.

The app is definitely the way to go, get the best quote you can off of Aviva. Trust me with the score, if you keep within the speed limit and don't brake / accelerate like a racing driver, you will get a high score! I just spent the two days trying to see if I could make every gear change seamless so you couldn't feel it through the car (like an auto), it worked obviously. Watch your speed, plenty of time to brake and you will be fine! What's best, if you let it "auto record", you can get to the end of the journey and if you think you did something significantly wrong, you can discard the drive and say it wasn't you driving :D If you start the drive manually yourself, you can't.

I totally sympathise with you, this insurance game is an absolute nightmare. Definitely play around with adding your parents! Mine took my insurance down £2000 on the S3, £1700 now. Sometimes Mum and Dad saves less, you might save more with Mum alone. It's all about spreading the risk sensibly. Like say if you put 5000 annual miles in and just yourself, you will be driving that car for 5000 miles. Otherwise, your Mum for example with 20+ years experience driving could be driving some of that 5000 miles, it's all about 'spreading the risk'.
Thanks for the reply! I will definitely look into Aviva and get the app when I start driving properly. I'll also make sure not to be the next Lewis Hamilton ;) Insurance is a nightmare but it is quite amazing what adding a parent can do to the provided quotes. Spread the risk and all the other statistics they put us with :(

Thanks for the reply! I will definitely look into Aviva and get the app when I start driving properly. I'll also make sure not to be the next Lewis Hamilton ;) Insurance is a nightmare but it is quite amazing what adding a parent can do to the provided quotes. Spread the risk and all the other statistics they put us with :(

I paid £2800 for a 51 plate 1.6 Fiesta Zetec S from the off, a month later I paid £2300 for a 63 plate Fiesta EcoBoost Zetec S, then I paid £1100 for a 1.4TFSi 122ps A3 Sportback S-Line on a 63 plate. In order of those, 17 no experience, 17 1 month experience, 18 and 1 years NCB. After 2 years NCB and the Aviva discount the A3 dropped to £600.

My S3 was £2700, then I had £900 discount for a multi car policy. That is with Elephant.

Insurance is a nightmare and there is no way around it, you have to pay big the first year and just watch it fall from there. You have a very nice place to start off with in a brand new A3, you should be very happy and the insurance should be kind to you on a brand new car with a sensible engine. I hope to see you at AITP in August, did I see a post saying you planned on going?

If you are a younger driver (for whom these black boxes make a big difference in lowering the premium) I would suggest Admiral or Aviva. Elephant was mentioned above which is also Admiral behind the scenes. You can definitely barter and negotiate with Admiral when the premium is high and to a certain extent with Aviva also.

I paid £2800 for a 51 plate 1.6 Fiesta Zetec S from the off, a month later I paid £2300 for a 63 plate Fiesta EcoBoost Zetec S, then I paid £1100 for a 1.4TFSi 122ps A3 Sportback S-Line on a 63 plate. In order of those, 17 no experience, 17 1 month experience, 18 and 1 years NCB. After 2 years NCB and the Aviva discount the A3 dropped to £600.

My S3 was £2700, then I had £900 discount for a multi car policy. That is with Elephant.

Insurance is a nightmare and there is no way around it, you have to pay big the first year and just watch it fall from there. You have a very nice place to start off with in a brand new A3, you should be very happy and the insurance should be kind to you on a brand new car with a sensible engine. I hope to see you at AITP in August, did I see a post saying you planned on going?
Wow that's quite a history of cars and insurance you have paid :O Thanks for the figures as it helps me know what I can expect to happen in the early years of my driving life :)

Best quote for my 1.0 so far is £1700 so it is good! I'm looking at cancelling my order though and getting a pre-owned 2.0 S-Line for the same amount. I think I'll be able to strike a nice deal with Oxford Audi as my car has been so delayed :( Whatever Audi I have though, I'll be at AITP :D You coming?
If you are a younger driver (for whom these black boxes make a big difference in lowering the premium) I would suggest Admiral or Aviva. Elephant was mentioned above which is also Admiral behind the scenes. You can definitely barter and negotiate with Admiral when the premium is high and to a certain extent with Aviva also.
Thank you for the information, I'll look into Admiral :)

But won't a 2.0 put the insurance up even more?
It will, but at the same time if it's going to drop after the first year I'd rather have something that'll last longer than that. The 1.0 would just be an option for cheap insurance but in the long run, it might not be enough :neutral:

Reactions: AudiNutta and Tom.H
Best quote for my 1.0 so far is £1700 so it is good! I'm looking at cancelling my order though and getting a pre-owned 2.0 S-Line for the same amount. I think I'll be able to strike a nice deal with Oxford Audi as my car has been so delayed :( Whatever Audi I have though, I'll be at AITP :D You coming?

Yes that's a decent quote. Take my advice, don't look at a 2.0TDi purely because of insurance costs, the diesel just purely down to engine capacity is much more expensive. The 1.4TFSi is the way to go, don't be put off by the size of the engine.. they are awesome engines and they have a 180+hp version. Like I said, the 122ps for me was £1100 with 1 years NCB.
The 150ps cylinder on demand (best engine, pulls well) was £1700, I couldn't justify the extra insurance as my salary was only £12,000 then.

The insurance is much cheaper on the 1.4, the fuel economy on a run is close on 55mpg and around town was 40mpg for me and I didn't hang around much.
Even the 122ps was a quick car, quicker than my 123hp EcoBoost because the 1.4 gives maximum power so much sooner. I had mine on the dyno, 135hp standard and 156hp with a £195 map. I believe the later ones are 125ps.

I totally agree an approved used S Line is a great route to go, they are absolutely gorgeous and you can't compare the styling between the two. Try and get a facelift still if you can, there are cheaper ones appearing now.

I am currently supposed to be working on the day of AITP, I have put a request in to book a holiday but I don't think they will accept it (one engineer a shift, only one cover man and one guy has already booked that day off). Failing that, I will beg for a shift swap with somebody haha. If I can get out of work, I will definitely be there.. not missing out on it this year.

It will, but at the same time if it's going to drop after the first year I'd rather have something that'll last longer than that. The 1.0 would just be an option for cheap insurance but in the long run, it might not be enough :neutral:

I agree you will get bored of the 1.0 pretty quickly. But, you don't need a 2.0 diesel when the cheaper to insure and purchase petrol is just as fast if not faster. Petrol and diesel are different drives, the petrol is more exciting and very revvy.

I know you young guys are desparate to get a fancy car if you can afford it. But it would be much more prudent to get a really boring and low powered car for 12 to 18 months to get the insurance going down and then go new or nearly new car.

But then I'm a boring old f**t and telling you what you don't want to hear. :whistle2:

Reactions: h5djr and SamR92
I know you young guys are desparate to get a fancy car if you can afford it. But it would be much more prudent to get a really boring and low powered car for 12 to 18 months to get the insurance going down and then go new or nearly new car.

But then I'm a boring old f**t and telling you what you don't want to hear. :whistle2:

That's the sensible option, the one never to be taken where possible ;)

I have had 4 cars in two and a half years and it costs money to do it that way, I've probably spent in excess of £2000 getting out of cars to change (I know I'm asking for a big telling off disclosing that).

Reactions: h1r4
Yes that's a decent quote. Take my advice, don't look at a 2.0TDi purely because of insurance costs, the diesel just purely down to engine capacity is much more expensive. The 1.4TFSi is the way to go, don't be put off by the size of the engine.. they are awesome engines and they have a 180+hp version. Like I said, the 122ps for me was £1100 with 1 years NCB.
The 150ps cylinder on demand (best engine, pulls well) was £1700, I couldn't justify the extra insurance as my salary was only £12,000 then.

The insurance is much cheaper on the 1.4, the fuel economy on a run is close on 55mpg and around town was 40mpg for me and I didn't hang around much.
Even the 122ps was a quick car, quicker than my 123hp EcoBoost because the 1.4 gives maximum power so much sooner. I had mine on the dyno, 135hp standard and 156hp with a £195 map. I believe the later ones are 125ps.

I totally agree an approved used S Line is a great route to go, they are absolutely gorgeous and you can't compare the styling between the two. Try and get a facelift still if you can, there are cheaper ones appearing now.

I am currently supposed to be working on the day of AITP, I have put a request in to book a holiday but I don't think they will accept it (one engineer a shift, only one cover man and one guy has already booked that day off). Failing that, I will beg for a shift swap with somebody haha. If I can get out of work, I will definitely be there.. not missing out on it this year.
2.0 diesels are the only used cars my dealer seems to have unfortunately. The insurance quote for the diesel is more expensive but I would keep hold of it for a while because as you've said, the S-Lines are great cars :) I would use my car a lot for travelling to work (100 miles a day) so the extra comfort would be nice ;)

The S-Line I've seen is a facelift model (66) so I'd get the dynamic indicators I forgot to spec on my A3 :D

Hopefully you make it to AITP, it will be nice to meet you and say hello in person! I do think petrol is more revvy but after learning in a diesel, I don't mind them much

I appreciate what you're saying Richard but like you say, we like the flashy cars haha!
That's the sensible option, the one never to be taken where possible ;)

I have had 4 cars in two and a half years and it costs money to do it that way, I've probably spent in excess of £2000 getting out of cars to change (I know I'm asking for a big telling off disclosing that).
Wow that's a lot of money! My S-Line would be here to stay for a few years :)

2.0 diesels are the only used cars my dealer seems to have unfortunately. The insurance quote for the diesel is more expensive but I would keep hold of it for a while because as you've said, the S-Lines are great cars :) I would use my car a lot for travelling to work (100 miles a day) so the extra comfort would be nice ;)

The S-Line I've seen is a facelift model (66) so I'd get the dynamic indicators I forgot to spec on my A3 :D

Hopefully you make it to AITP, it will be nice to meet you and say hello in person! I do think petrol is more revvy but after learning in a diesel, I don't mind them much

Wow that's a lot of money! My S-Line would be here to stay for a few years :)

Why are you so determined to stick with your dealer? They obviously haven't exactly given you the best treatment now have they if you have been ignored?
Get on the approved site and do a nationwide search. Do an insurance quote for the 1.4. You need to drive both, the petrol is a much quieter, much smoother engine.. I am a diesel fan also by the way, not hating on them at all but I'm just pointing out why a petrol is better suited to yourself.

Why are you so determined to stick with your dealer? They obviously haven't exactly given you the best treatment now have they if you have been ignored?
Get on the approved site and do a nationwide search. Do an insurance quote for the 1.4. You need to drive both, the petrol is a much quieter, much smoother engine.. I am a diesel fan also by the way, not hating on them at all but I'm just pointing out why a petrol is better suited to yourself.
I'm not sure why I'm limiting myself. I think it's because I kinda feel bad for them and want to be able to have a nice transition where I keep my deposit :) I'm going to call them tomorrow and discuss my options because I'm fed up with them and the empty promises

It was - I was 18 at the time but it 'was my mums car' and I was a named driver. This happened a lot at the time.

I'm not sure why I'm limiting myself. I think it's because I kinda feel bad for them and want to be able to have a nice transition where I keep my deposit :) I'm going to call them tomorrow and discuss my options because I'm fed up with them and the empty promises
Wouldn't expect you to loose your deposit anyway, but a good idea to cancel now before they actually have it.
If you cancel, you may find them much keener to get you the used car you really want.

Admiral were best this year for me (my history is quite bad) - just be prepared to pimp yourself out every year and go for the cheapest/well known company compromise...

Mike

You should download it and drive sensibly for 200 miles, you will potentially save up to £392 off of your premium.
Seen as though my policy for this car started in September. I'm guessing I couldnt do this now? But instead before my policy runs out?

As audi Nutta says... the 1.4 cod engine is ****** lovely . Driven it on a test drive ( a3 face-lift Stronic) and as said was lovely!.

My sister also has a A1 with the same engine and I Wass lucky enough to be insured for 3 days, took it down the bicester and it got better mpg than my a4 quattro! 55mpg for a car that had less than 100 miles on it and and a petrol is pretty amazing. And I'm sure insurance is cheaper as I did a quote and got it for less than 1k ( dependant on area aswell).

All in all it's a great engine! Sounds pretty nice too. I only went for the diesel becuase of the miles I do, and I wanted something powerful and economic! Which is it but not as good as the Cod in my experience.

I'd also ask your other local dealers what stock they got. One of them are bound to have a 1.4 COD in stock somewhere!

Seen as though my policy for this car started in September. I'm guessing I couldnt do this now? But instead before my policy runs out?

I'm sure you can, but you would only save a the percentage of what is left to pay I think?

Well worth a try.. watch how good your economy would be :D

As audi Nutta says... the 1.4 cod engine is ****** lovely . Driven it on a test drive ( a3 face-lift Stronic) and as said was lovely!.

My sister also has a A1 with the same engine and I Wass lucky enough to be insured for 3 days, took it down the bicester and it got better mpg than my a4 quattro! 55mpg for a car that had less than 100 miles on it and and a petrol is pretty amazing. And I'm sure insurance is cheaper as I did a quote and got it for less than 1k ( dependant on area aswell).

All in all it's a great engine! Sounds pretty nice too. I only went for the diesel becuase of the miles I do, and I wanted something powerful and economic! Which is it but not as good as the Cod in my experience.

I'd also ask your other local dealers what stock they got. One of them are bound to have a 1.4 COD in stock somewhere!

The COD engine is great. When I drove my grandparents the other day, I couldn't get the front wheels to stop spinning with TC fully on pulling off the line. (S Tronic). It's a very quick engine and everybody gets put off by its size.

My Mum has a 2.0TDi A4 now, she will be getting a petrol next because of issues with DPF's we have had (not current cars but previous). She was adamant the other day that my old A3 was a 1.8TFSi, she refused to believe it was a 1.4TFSi having driven it and that was only the 122ps.
They really have to be driven, they are very torquey and when in dynamic pull very well. The salesman when I drove the car at first said to be careful because it is a torquey engine.

The 1.4 COD 150ps engine sounds different to the 122ps, it is a deeper sound most definitely.. I can only assume it is a different turbo.

By the way, I am very flattered by that photo of your A4 on your profile picture.. it looks great! Absolutely love an A4.

Reactions: h1r4