Reversing Camera

fakker

Reaction score
Hi,

I've had a search on this part of the forum, but haven't found anything that is still 'live'..

I've purchased one of these Android HU (Xtron's unit), all is working well. However, now I'm looking into the reversing camera as an addition.

I see that there are a few boot handles which include a built in camera, and those that have it via the number plate light, just wondering if any of you out there have either or fitted, and if possible to show a photo (if you can be *****) of the output.

Only reason I'm really asking, is I'm having trouble finding out if the number plate light camera or if the boothandle camera even fit on the 8P... I'd rather not spend £60 without knowing.

Also, if any of you have done it via other methods, I'm interested to hear, and interested to hear how you powered the camera.

I'm also interested in knowing more about this as well.

PB76AA3AP - I'll add that I'm having an issue regarding it not actually powering down... I'm waiting for Xtrons to come back to me with a fix

Following - Thinking about getting an Xtrons unit, which did you go for?

I went for the Xtrons Android 5.1 HU, it's currently going for £250 and I can't recommend it enough there's so much functionality, more so over the RNSE and I've barely scratched the surface compared to others like leshkin (more info here http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/android-rns-e.248150/, ignore the first couple of negative comments as they were regarding the older dual core units).

Here's a link for the one I got which is specifically for the A/S3 and the seller I used who was also great: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XTRONS-2-...272211?hash=item2cba024613:g:5IoAAOSwA3dYiVkD

Last edited:
Reactions: goodbuzzman1
I went for the Xtrons Android 5.1 HU, it's currently going for £250 and I can't recommend it enough there's so much functionality, more so over the RNSE and I've barely scratched the surface compared to others like leshkin (more info here http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/android-rns-e.248150/, ignore the first couple of pages of bad press as they were regarding the older dual core units.

Here's a link for one specifically for the A/S3 and the seller I used who was also great: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XTRONS-2-...272211?hash=item2cba024613:g:5IoAAOSwA3dYiVkD

That's the one I've been looking at!

Only thing is, the one he mentioned above is a later version with android 6.0 and octa-core.

Do you have any pics of yours? Also a night time pic?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the one I've been looking at!

Only thing is, the one he mentioned above is a later version with android 6.0 and octa-core.

Do you have any pics of yours? Also a night time pic?

Thanks.

Ah yes I forgot that the 6.0 octa-cores are now out, I can't comment as haven't looked into them but the only difference I can see off the bat is that they're a different design compared to mine so don't look like an RNSE and have a smaller screen.

I don't have any online but here's a pic from that thread:

View attachment 68239

Ah yes I forgot that the 6.0 octa-cores are now out, I can't comment as haven't looked into them but the only difference I can see off the bat is that they're a different design compared to mine so don't look like an RNSE and have a smaller screen.

View attachment 68239
Thanks, did you go for any extras?

View attachment 68239

If you look on fleebay there are some octa core units that look like the rnse and are sold by erisin and then there are the others that look more like a chorus/symphony unit.
Compared to the android 5.1 units these android 6 octa cores have more memory and a quicker boot up time from cold.

Reactions: Dannymoto
Thanks, did you go for any extras?

I've got Bose so needed the RCA Noise Filters/Suppressors to help with slight interference/quite rear speakers (wasn't chronic for me tbf), the specific one's I got are no longer available from ebay but there are similar one's on Amazon.

I also got these which were recommended to help with the radio: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/ct27aa87-aerial-antenna-dual-fakra-din-adaptor

The Xtrons ELM327 OBD2 bluetooth scan tool is well worth a purchase as you can link it up to the Torque Pro app and get live readings from your ECU: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XTRONS-EL...275736?hash=item2ee6b76ad8:g:JyMAAOSwoydWj0Qh

All I need to do is fit a reverse camera which I'll use what Rideen recommended above.

I haven't even explored all the possibilities you can done once you root it.

I've got Bose so needed the RCA Noise Filters/Suppressors to help with slight interference/quite rear speakers (wasn't chronic for me tbf), the specific one's I got are no longer available from ebay but there are similar one's on Amazon.

I also got these which were recommended to help with the radio: http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/ct27aa87-aerial-antenna-dual-fakra-din-adaptor

The Xtrons ELM327 OBD2 bluetooth scan tool is well worth a purchase as you can link it up to the Torque Pro app and get live readings from your ECU: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XTRONS-EL...275736?hash=item2ee6b76ad8:g:JyMAAOSwoydWj0Qh

All I need to do is fit a reverse camera which I'll use what Rideen recommended above.

Spot on! If I do get one I'll order those too! I have Bose also. Did you get DAB at all?

Spot on! If I do get one I'll order those too! I have Bose also. Did you get DAB at all?

No worries mate, you may be lucky and not need the Bose suppressors but if you do get interference/whine then they will sort the issue.

I didn't opt for the DAB+ purely because I never listen to the radio and very rarely/never have it on with passengers but I I know docurley on the other thread went for the DAB+ dongle.

I'd definately recommend them I've had an android 4.4 unit before in my previous a3 and they're way better than the oem rnse, way more features on them.
I've ordered DAB with this one I'm picking up later.
If you do like the one that is in Hong Kong don't be put off with the fact it's coming from over there as if it were in the U.K It would still be coming from the same supplier but just from their U.K stock, they probably just don't have any U.K stock left.

IMG 2693
If anyone needs the suppressors I found a website that sells the one that used to be on eBay

Reactions: S., Dannymoto and HHS3
Good find ab1702, that's the one.

I've just found this on Xtrons website: http://xtrons.co.uk/cama4a003-160-h...-specially-designed-for-audi-a3-a4-q7-s5.html

It mentions that no holes need to be drilled due to it being attached to a number plate light holder which is neat, how easy would it be to hook up to the HU?

I'm interested in a reverse camera aswell but can't be bothered routing a cable from the headunit and into the boot and I wouldn't be interested in the option further up the post about drilling a hole in the boot either.

I'm interested in a reverse camera aswell but can't be bothered routing a cable from the headunit and into the boot and I wouldn't be interested in the option further up the post about drilling a hole in the boot either.

Precisely why I haven't fitted mine yet, do you know if it's possible to deactivate the reverse camera function so the screen doesn't go black?

Precisely why I haven't fitted mine yet, do you know if it's possible to deactivate the reverse camera function so the screen doesn't go black?

I've no idea mate, the android 4.4 I had before didn't do it and this new one I've just collected I haven't installed yet. Might be better off asking on that xda forum, I'm not a member on but I've read things on there and there's seems to be a lot of info and knowledgable people on it

Good find ab1702, that's the one.

I've just found this on Xtrons website: http://xtrons.co.uk/cama4a003-160-h...-specially-designed-for-audi-a3-a4-q7-s5.html

It mentions that no holes need to be drilled due to it being attached to a number plate light holder which is neat, how easy would it be to hook up to the HU?

The plastic holder doesn't seem too sturdy though.

Drilling into the boot between number plate light and the handle is extremely easy as it's plastic, not metal by the way and you get a much more secure fit than with the camera linked above.

You probably have the included box (with PCB inside) which goes behind the HU and it connects to it. Just remove the box and plug the cables from the car into the HU, that way you disable can bus and therefore the reverse option. That's how I did it when my camera was giving me headaches. You'll lose DIS information from the HU though.

The plastic holder doesn't seem too sturdy though.

Drilling into the boot between number plate light and the handle is extremely easy as it's plastic, not metal by the way and you get a much more secure fit than with the camera linked above.

You probably have the included box (with PCB inside) which goes behind the HU and it connects to it. Just remove the box and plug the cables from the car into the HU, that way you disable can bus and therefore the reverse option. That's how I did it when my camera was giving me headaches. You'll lose DIS information from the HU though.

Cool thanks for the info mate, I will most likely end up going for what you did, although I'm useless with wiring so will see if my bro can help. When you've got the time if you could take that pic of yours please, it's always handy to have something extra to go by.

I've found a fix for the reverse camera function but I'm on android 6. You go into factory settings and put in the code 126 to get into the settings then you have some options across the top. Across the top go to 'other' and there is a reverse option in there which days enable or disable, I changed it to the opposite that it was already on and then saved it and the unit rebooted and now the screen doesn't go off when you put it in reverse

Reactions: HHS3
Reactions: fakker and HHS3
I've found a fix for the reverse camera function but I'm on android 6. You go into factory settings and put in the code 126 to get into the settings then you have some options across the top. Across the top go to 'other' and there is a reverse option in there which days enable or disable, I changed it to the opposite that it was already on and then saved it and the unit rebooted and now the screen doesn't go off when you put it in reverse

Sorry for the huge delay with those pictures mate, I was on a business trip and couldn't take them any sooner.

Here they are though: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/31sd9bshtuco3nx/AAA8SBXllSsrZM2QR9BeraOWa?dl=0

Nice one, thanks for your help fellas.

Finally got it installed

rhOXPA6.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: HHS3
Hi, is the the £8.99 camera linked above? Is the angle of the camera good with regards to the video footage

Hi, it is the camera above (I got it from Amazon via CarRover as I got Prime and wanted it next day)
Camera angle is fine, here's a picture whilst I was getting the angle and everything lined up nicely, which is why it looks a bit wonky in this pic :)

WQCVDPK.jpg

As you can see, it's not lined up in the picture - but it's a clear image. Only gripe about this camera, the lines can't be turned off - it's not a software limitation, also the image is mirrored (but I'm sure this can be modified).

Have a £12 camera in the boot handle. Works fine on my Dynavin nav unit and works in conjunction with the steering angle sensor. Took a day to route the cable correctly but worth the end result.
Why would need to turn off the guidelines? come in handy for judging distance to the inch when reversing.

Thanks guys, Just bought a pioneer Da-120 and want a reverse camera so will go for this camera

Will definitely be looking at getting that camera when I get the Xtrons Unit.
Any pics of installing?

I'll take some tomorrow...
I finished off the wiring after work today, all hidden and tidy.

UxgXpBS.jpg

anyone with an 8P non facelift that knows how to run the wire from reversing lamp into tailgate? or if its even necessary to do so?

anyone with an 8P non facelift that knows how to run the wire from reversing lamp into tailgate? or if its even necessary to do so?

Should not do it, CAN-BUS will deactivate the reversing bulb and camera won't work. You should connect the camera to constant 12V or ignition.

Is this the case even with an XTRONS 8 core unit with CAN-BUS decoder?