A3 8P Sportback Central Locking Probs- Clicking sound?

Adomas G

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi everyone :)

I'm sure this topic has been covered a thousand times but I still can't find the answer to the specific problem.
So just recently bought myself a nice 2006 A3 Sportback, 2.0TDi. Pulls like a train after my old 1.5 Megane :D
Anyways, bought it with knowing that central locking is not working and I have been using the key to lock/unlock the car for a couple of weeks.

What I have noticed though, each time I press the button on a key fob, there is a click sound coming from the central locking module (if that's what it is, located near rear left wheel well behind the panel), it sounds similar to the sound indicators make, there is a click once I press the button and another click 1-2 seconds later. When I took the panel off to expose the module, the click was rather loud, as though there is an actual little hammer of some sorts inside of the module.

Other than that, it does nothing, no lights flash, no doors unlock. Someone suggested switching off the engine, closing all the doors and waiting until the hazard lights button goes out, pressing the button and seeing if it lights up again- no luck. I have tried reprogramming the fob with the holding the unlock button for 2 seconds in ignition procedure- no change. I know the fob works because it makes the module click as the buttons are pressed but other than that- nothing. Where do I begin?
Thanks

Edit:
I should perhaps add that central locking stopped working when the driver's electric window cable snapped and it jammed. It has since been fixed.

Hi, I know it is an old thread, but did you solve the problem please? I have the same issue, just purchased Audi Sportback 2005/2006 2.0TDI 16V.
In my car, the clicking sound comes from the boot in right rear side, under the lining.
Both keys not opening doors, only red LED blinks. Batteries replaced too.

Many thanks,
Cheers

The weird click from the rear is the fuel cap locking pin. It really is quite loud (and stabby)!

I doubt that helps anyone however but apparently the 8P is prone to central locking issues so best to replace the faulty units with new ones (as opposed to breaker/scrap yard/pre owned units).

Hi, I know it is an old thread, but did you solve the problem please? I have the same issue, just purchased Audi Sportback 2005/2006 2.0TDI 16V.
In my car, the clicking sound comes from the boot in right rear side, under the lining.
Both keys not opening doors, only red LED blinks. Batteries replaced too.

Many thanks,
Cheers
Do all doors unlock using key in the drivers door lock? Or by the remote button, or both?

Hi, all doors and boot will unlock/lock normaly, only the Fob/remotes not working.
Thanks mate!

Do all doors unlock using key in the drivers door lock? Or by the remote button, or both?

The weird click from the rear is the fuel cap locking pin. It really is quite loud (and stabby)!

I doubt that helps anyone however but apparently the 8P is prone to central locking issues so best to replace the faulty units with new ones (as opposed to breaker/scrap yard/pre owned units).
Thank you!
If VCDS doesn't show any error, what is to be replaced please?