Custom remaps southeast England

Pazzer

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Can anybody recommend somebody in this area that has had stage 1 done on their s3? As a custom remap in my opinion appears to be the best way to go. Also, anyone used storm developments near Reading?

Many thanks

Reactions: Mark A Greenwood
Wouldn't bother with a custom map at stage 1, a custom map is all about fine tuning when you have all the bolt on hardware at stage 2 and above. Don't waste your money just get a standard remap probably worth 40 horsepower or so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wouldn't bother with a custom map at stage 1, a custom map is all about fine tuning when you have all the bolt on hardware at stage 2 and above. Don't waste your money just get a standard remap probably worth 40 horsepower or so.

Oh ok I'm surprised by that. As I'm still on my stock clutch I thought custom would be a good way to go as it wouldn't be too harsh!

The Phirm at Hook are a good outfit

I used The Phirm at Hook to remap a Golg GT. Excellent service. Also had a few problems with the engine a while after, and they were more than happy to check the software afterwards.

I have an S3 now, and i am also interested in Storm in Aldermaston. I live in Basingstoke, so both companies are near me.

I used The Phirm at Hook to remap a Golg GT. Excellent service. Also had a few problems with the engine a while after, and they were more than happy to check the software afterwards.

I have an S3 now, and i am also interested in Storm in Aldermaston. I live in Basingstoke, so both companies are near me.
A golf?! Well let me know where you end up!

I was warned of storm as the just go for max bhp rather than big torque, no idea if it's true or not. Go Phirm for stage 1

It is but I'm willing to travel to get the best service and deal!

I think a member on here, S3Alex, has used Storm before. He has a big thread on the forum,

Reactions: S3Alex
I was warned of storm as the just go for max bhp rather than big torque, no idea if it's true or not. Go Phirm for stage 1

I think that's very unlikely

The two companies I can recommend are AMDTuning at Lakeside and Storm.

Both have worked on my car and both work to very high standards.
Storm in particular are very careful with their customers cars and mine is about to have it's programming and upgrades completed by them.

Reactions: mechanic69

Storm in particular are very careful with their customers cars and mine is about to have it's programming and upgrades completed by them.

You'll be at Aldermaston?

Even a stage 1 id go custom. Rtech or unicorn

Yeah they're too far away from me really!

I've got to say Storm are looking pretty good at the moment, and for S3 Alex to recommend them they must be good. Do they have a rolling road/dyno there?

Reactions: S3Alex and Mark A Greenwood

Nuff said if Alex is happy with them, I have no experience with them

I'm not.

But the car is...

It's still having a lot of work done.

Gearbox and engine programming and then seeing what the engine can do.
If you get there, tell me please. Would love to come no see the car, and check out Storm.

Another vote for Storm Devs here, wish I took my S3 there from day 1 but better late then never! I have no experience of their mapping capabilities but after the work they've done on S3Alex, leshkin and mine as well as many other S3's on here then I can't recommend them enough.

AMD Tuning in Essex is also highly thought of and quite a few have used them for their custom mapping services as well of whom are happy with the results.

Another vote for Storm Devs here, wish I took my S3 there from day 1 but better late then never! I have no experience of their mapping capabilities but after the work they've done on S3Alex, leshkin and mine as well as many other S3's on here then I can't recommend them enough.

AMD Tuning in Essex is also highly thought of and quite a few have used them for their custom mapping services as well of whom are happy with the results.
I thought AMD only did revo? A local garage to me in Crawley has been recommended called Camspec. May check them out.

Another vote for AMD , never had an issue with any work they have carried out .

I thought AMD only did revo? A local garage to me in Crawley has been recommended called Camspec. May check them out.

AMD have always offered their own maps as well as other companies.

They were offering Revo maps when I was there but moved to APR....

Reactions: HHS3
AMD have always offered their own maps as well as other companies.

They were offering Revo maps when I was there but moved to APR....
Alex what remap did you go with?

Alex what remap did you go with?

When I was going to AMDTUNING they were doing Revo maps.

I ran that until Stg3 before swapping to a Syvecs ECU with its own software.

Reactions: Pazzer

Camspec are brilliant for servicing and repairs, they know there stuff about these engines but I do think they bring someone in to remap!

Anyone here used volks in Sutton for a remap?

I got a quote from volks for stage 1, £538.60 all in. Again this seems quite steep! This is a pain as APR seem to be quite up to date with their remaps so I've read. There is a revo dealer near me but their maps seem out of date now. I didn't think it would be this difficult/expensive to get it done! Argh!

Revo isnt custom mapping.

All these places mentioned are generic maps.

Try Duncan Race Dynamix, on the road live mapping from scratch and comes to your house. Very well respected in the Subaru community and now does VAG.

Revo isnt custom mapping.

All these places mentioned are generic maps.

Try Duncan Race Dynamix, on the road live mapping from scratch and comes to your house. Very well respected in the Subaru community and now does VAG.
Ok thanks for that. Why was it the worst decision to get an Audi?!

The benefits of custom mapping are getting the last bit out of the car at each level of tuning,plus features that the generic mappers may not do.

To be fair,some of those functions such as flat shift or anti lag are not really appropriate to manual gearboxes or stock turbos,IMHO,and a lot of people are very happy with a generic map,and some tweaking of the settings by the installer.

I certainly was until I got into the bigger turbos,but having had the benefits of bespoke mapping now,I know which I'd choose.

For custom mapping,make sure to pick someone with a good reputation and experience in mapping this engine....some of the forum recommended ones are very good,and will map safely.

The benefits of custom mapping are getting the last bit out of the car at each level of tuning,plus features that the generic mappers may not do.

To be fair,some of those functions such as flat shift or anti lag are not really appropriate to manual gearboxes or stock turbos,IMHO,and a lot of people are very happy with a generic map,and some tweaking of the settings by the installer.

I certainly was until I got into the bigger turbos,but having had the benefits of bespoke mapping now,I know which I'd choose.

For custom mapping,make sure to pick someone with a good reputation and experience in mapping this engine....some of the forum recommended ones are very good,and will map safely.
Fair enough Alex, my issue is that near me there doesn't seem to be great options, and I'm not paying nearly £600 for stage 1

Fair enough Alex, my issue is that near me there doesn't seem to be great options, and I'm not paying nearly £600 for stage 1

Also fair enough....has to be something that works in every sense.

I've kind of tied myself a bit with an ECU that needs someone familiar with it but I'm very happy with Storm.

Reactions: Sandra and Pazzer
Also fair enough....has to be something that works in every sense.

I've kind of tied myself a bit with an ECU that needs someone familiar with it but I'm very happy with Storm.
Yeah they do sound good. Thing is I don't mind travelling to get the remap but if something goes wrong with the car I guess I'd have to take it back there? Or not?!

I personally feel to do it right, is to map from the ground up. The extra features are just 'fun' bits, but definitely not at the core of the map. Every engine/turbo/boltons/setup is different, so building a map from scratch for your exact perimeters is the best way to get the most performance and harmony out of your engine,.

True, off the shelf generic stuff can and do work, and most are happy with that, but if you want to do it properly, custom mapping is the way forward.

Duncan would map my previous Subaru's and would charge around £400. He may be more expensive now though, as it can take hours. Mine took three hours the first time round.

I once let another mapper 'tweak' it, and that was a massive mistake. Had to get Duncan to drive all the way over to fix it :)

Yeah they do sound good. Thing is I don't mind travelling to get the remap but if something goes wrong with the car I guess I'd have to take it back there? Or not?!

The thing with custom work is you do tie yourself into that provider.

In my case I have no problem with that but it can be an issue for many.
The ECU on mine is not an OEM model so it has to go back to Storm but as Dubjam has also said,letting someone else play with your custom map is often a big mistake.