Centre brake light bulb replacement

JohnC

Reaction score
Hi folks

I've done a search on here (as well as on one or two other forums) before posting, but without luck so far so I thought I'd ask for help here first as this seems to be the best UK resource for B5s.

I have a '98 1.9TDi quattro Sport saloon, and one of the bulbs in its middle brake light has failed. Obviously to get at them I have to remove the plastic shroud, but I can't for the life of me seem to shift it. It feels like there are a couple of clips holding it in place - which I can hear 'clicking' as I wrestle with the it - but it won't budge. Does anyone know of a knack to getting this off without resorting to brute force? A post on Audiworld suggested pressing the sides in and pulling, but this isn't working and I'm not exactly being gentle with it.

Any help would be gratefully received!

hi john, don't know how it comes off but thought id say hello as i believe you bought a set of alloys for that car from me in bewdley earlier this year! il have a mess with mine in the morning and if i get it apart i'l let you know.

Hi Steve!

Well what a small world - I had no idea you were on here! Good to hear from you. I hope you and Kate (and the dog!) are well.

The wheels are excellent thanks - tyres still going strong nearly 10k miles on.

I managed to figure out how to remove the plastic cover in the end - it just required a bit more brute force which I was only able to apply after folding the back seat down and climbing halfway into the boot. When you see the size of the clips holding it in, it's quite surprising how tightly this thing fits!

Anyway, bulb replaced and brake light fully working now! Cheers anyway!

yeah we're ok, and the audi has been good too. hoping to buy an s4 in the new year possibly a b5 rs4 if funds allow so no doubt il see you at one of the clubaudi days next year! have a good xmas glad the wheels have been ok!