S3 - New Purchase

Georgenberg

Reaction score
Hi all,

So I'm potentially in the market for a S3 (8P) and as I don't know anything about them I was wondering what I should be looking out for in terms of things to avoid. I'm looking at spending around 10k max with a view of spending the next couple of years tuning it up to at least Stage 2+ minimum. How reliable are the engines? With higher mileages is there certain things that I'll need to have changed/replaced and what sort of costs would I be looking at?

Thanks!

Mark

Hi all,

So I'm potentially in the market for a S3 (8P) and as I don't know anything about them I was wondering what I should be looking out for in terms of things to avoid. I'm looking at spending around 10k max with a view of spending the next couple of years tuning it up to at least Stage 2+ minimum. How reliable are the engines? With higher mileages is there certain things that I'll need to have changed/replaced and what sort of costs would I be looking at?

Thanks!

Mark

Hi Mark,welcome to ASN.

There are a few threads that may help,but in general look for:

Full service history,either dealer or good independent.
Regular oil changes
Cam follower and Haldex service at the appropriate intervals.

Generally speaking,the engines are very reliable,if serviced,and will run to silly levels of power and torque if built properly.
STg2+ as a minimum implies you'd look at either hybrids or big turbos as a later option.....have a look at my thread here.
It's a very long read,but it goes from Stg1,all the way through to the biggest turbo I could physically fit into the car,and an aftermarket ECU.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/time-for-a-build-thread-big-turbo.106134/page-61#post-2981493

Avoid smoky,ill treated cars with poor history.
Most modified ones will have been well looked after,but be sure to find out who did the work,and see the bills.

Anything else,please ask.

Reactions: samuelh_888
Awesome - thanks. Will have a read :)

Good luck.....set an afternoon at least aside for that!

The engine is very solid,and the block will cope with a lot of power.
The stock internals will get you to around 450lbs reliably,and anything after that gets expensive.

Do bear that in mind for anything beyond Stg2+....you'd need brakes,suspension,clutch etc,and then all of the other bits.

yeah it looks like it's going to take a while to get through that thread! TBH I doubt I'll go past Stage 2+ but it's nice to have the options. What sort of costs/upgrades are you looking at to get to that point?

yeah it looks like it's going to take a while to get through that thread! TBH I doubt I'll go past Stage 2+ but it's nice to have the options. What sort of costs/upgrades are you looking at to get to that point?

Stg2+ with new parts would be around £2.5-3k in parts and labour.
Add in £1200 for a manual clutch....DSG can be remapped to over 400lbs.
£1200+for a full exhaust
£300+for intake system
Brakes....from around £1200 up
Suspension.....from several hundred up

Hybrids will cost around £2.5k plus all of the above.

Big turbo kits.....all of the Stg2+mods,plus engine build,plus parts.

Mine's just been totally rebuilt,plus the head done,and the bill is fairly scary...

Let us know how you get on in your search! Where are you based?

You'd be looking at a new clutch if the car you buy has a lot of miles. Stage one should be ok but stage 2 will definitely need a new one. £300 should be enough for Stage 1 and stage 2 about £1k. Start saving.

Reactions: S3Alex