No electrical power

Shaybo

Reaction score
Hi, I've just replaced the clutch in my A4, when it was all connected back up the dashboard lights are on with no key in the ignition, when I try to start the car every thing is dead! Any solutions?

Try disconnecting the battery for 15 mins and see what happens.

Hi Darren92,
I've had battery disconnected all night, when I check the voltage on the battery it's only showing 3 volts when connected, when it's not connected it's showing 12.6, so I'm getting even more confused with it.

Out of curiosity, connect it up and jump it from the jumping points under the bonnet.

Tried that, it seems like I'm loosing power from the battery to the starter! When you push the key in there is nothing, take the key out and all the dash warning lights are on!

Get it back on the lift and re-trace your steps when you done the job and double checking everything

Have you checked all the fuses on top of the battery ?

You can see them in the below vid,it also shows you how to check if the overload fuse has gone.
Although his battery procedure isn't the best in regards to putting on the terminal

Checked all fuse's and gone over everything several times!

Hi Darren92,
I've had battery disconnected all night, when I check the voltage on the battery it's only showing 3 volts when connected, when it's not connected it's showing 12.6, so I'm getting even more confused with it.

3v when connected? Measured with a volt meter on the battery terminals?

Yep! I have no use of the keys, won't unlock or lock the car! Like I say when the battery is connected all the ease warning lights are flickering on without a key inserted, when the key is inserted it makes no difference!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have you tried charging the battery as it sounds like it's very low or has failed.

If the battery is 3v when connected to a small load I recon it's goosed. Might not recover it's full capacity when charged, might let you down in future.

If I found that I was measuring 3 volts across a nominally 12 volts battery, the first thing I would be doing would be removing a lead from that battery, then seeing what happens as the last thing you want is a burned out wiring loom section of worse!

missing earth?

In a situation were the owner can confirm that a battery open circuit voltage is 12.6V and that its connected voltage is 3V - both measured across the actual battery terminals, there is no chance that a missing earth would influence these readings.