rattle debate

Stephp38

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I hope this hasn't been discussed elsewhere and I've missed it, apologies if so I don't use the forums much.

I have an A4 Avant 08 Reg, BRE engine code. 2.0ltr TDI, Auto transmission 70,000 ish miles. when I start the engine from hot I get an engine rattle, it hasn't done it from cold first thing in the day yet. Two conflicting views from mechanics I respect, one of whom is an Audi fan
One suggests it is the dpf in the exhaust that has come loose in the exhaust hence we only hear it when the system has expanded with heat..............or the other view is transmission damper mount.

Your wealth of experience would be appreciated in ruling either one out for definite.

Thanks
Stephen

I doubt it's either of those to be honest. A failed / broken DPF would rattle all the time, not just when on startup. Or am I reading it wrong and it does it all the time, but only when hot?

Transmission damper wouldn't cause a rattle either. I'm placing bets on a heat shield in all honesty.

No sorry, it doesn't rattle all the time, only when starter engaged (but only once engine is hot) was under it this week and definitely no loose shields that we could see.

Is it definitely engine rattle..... Or just a rattle from within the engine bay?

If just from within the bay I would look for exhaust/downpipe hitting the heat shield.

I don't think it's a heat shield, my mechanic chap is convinced it's the transmission damper failing, no one else had the issue?