Monza Silver 3.0TDi Avant

barkclark

Reaction score
Hey everyone, long time lurker on the Audi Sport forum, I had a 1.9TDi B6 for two years, loved it! Recently had a year out with some other cars etc, but now i'm back in an Audi and I could not be happier!

Here's the only picture I have at the moment as i've been away so long I forget how to upload photos and whats the best way to resize them haha. Well here it is, hopefully many mods to come!

IMG 20170427 195745 4131

Reactions: Bristle Hound, THQuattro, EXSpartan36 and 1 other person
Good choice :) . A remap really makes these drive so much better.

Horrible car - who would want a silver 3.0TDI Avant.. :tongueclosed::laughing::laughing:

Reactions: GjrBartlett and barkclark
Nice car mate ! Love the rims too - I just question myself if I'd have the patience to keep them regularly looking as good as they deserve....... ( entirly my failing !!!! )

Last edited:
Reactions: barkclark
Nice car mate ! Love the rims too - I just question myself if I'd have the patience to keep them regularly looking as good as they deserve....... ( entirly my failing !!!! )
Its been washed twice and admittedly they are a bit annoying to wash. Although dont take as long as id expected!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Removed the airbox butterfly tonight!
Can hear and feel the difference!
9c0bdc44169d12267b7738afa09c2df5.jpg
0a93a58a23434826c0305874eae12c1f.jpg

What difference does taking that butterfly out do?
It increases airflow. When it was in it only opened later in the rev range, but by removing its always open meaning it increases lowdown grunt. Increases airflow by about 10%. Check out Karls 3.0TDi build thread!

Removed the airbox butterfly tonight!
Can hear and feel the difference!
9c0bdc44169d12267b7738afa09c2df5.jpg
0a93a58a23434826c0305874eae12c1f.jpg

I have almost exactly the same car as you. I am intersted in what you hear / feel now that you have removed the butterfly flap

regards

I have almost exactly the same car as you. I am intersted in what you hear / feel now that you have removed the butterfly flap

regards
Ive noticed extra induction noise which sounds good . There is also a little extra throttle response underfoot. Next is a more free flowing airbox to turbo inlet pipe which once again should help throttle response

Some nice photos of the car I took last night and some mods. Led interior lights, number plate lights and debadged.
11adf24a39e1afa96784fadc2ad0445a.jpg
86881d63ab65a6fee6662157a2dba5d7.jpg
1174da1903d223ff5e8ab5f51127c03c.jpg
fc3e291b802693123b75b06a70205035.jpg
897f450c499299b58a8ea5da348d361d.jpg
76bfa688b2e9f53809b81d973f9bf73c.jpg
94ad7bf65e746cfa62dc5aae96bff9dd.jpg
45e7451f2617c3a9a18167ef320bf98e.jpg
9860f6f727ea48d454bf3f6f39e267a8.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Bristle Hound
Looking good! I removed the airbox butterfly yesterday and I was really disappointed as there was very little difference by my reckoning. Certainly couldn't hear any difference in sound, possibly a little bit of improvement in pick up but could equally be placebo :-(

Agree with debadging - looks way better and apart from window tints, wheels and radar sensor our cars are basically identical now!

Sorry to jump in on this thread but does anyone know if the 2.0TDi version has a butterfly flap in the airbox???

Thanks in advance

Looking good! I removed the airbox butterfly yesterday and I was really disappointed as there was very little difference by my reckoning. Certainly couldn't hear any difference in sound, possibly a little bit of improvement in pick up but could equally be placebo :-(

Agree with debadging - looks way better and apart from window tints, wheels and radar sensor our cars are basically identical now!

Thats unfortunate. I definitely noticed a noise difference. It wasnt something that crossed my mind with the mod so I wasnt trying to look out for it.
As for better pick up that may be a placebo as it was something I was looking out for.

On that subject though, i've just been quoted £200 for backbox removal and replaced with straight pipes and 4" similar style tips!

Yeah I debadged it in stages to see how I felt about it. But it all ended off after half an hour haha.

Sorry to jump in on this thread but does anyone know if the 2.0TDi version has a butterfly flap in the airbox???

Thanks in advance
Sorry man I don't know if its the same style airbox.

Not too worry, I will try and do some investigation.

Thanks
After a quick google it seems the airbox on the 2.0TDi has the lower air intake, although if it has a vacuum activated butterfly I can't comment on. Im sure someone else will come along with the right info needed!

Can't seem to dig out anything on the Internet and I don't have ETKA anymore.

Guess I will have to take it off and have a look see :)

Thanks for looking though.

Gave the wagon a wash last night!
4dde7de9527b6c999165ac406f93061b.jpg
Hi.
I have a Monza Avant too and im looking to change the wheels. What are the wheels your running. They really suit the Avant.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hi.
I have a Monza Avant too and im looking to change the wheels. What are the wheels your running. They really suit the Avant.

OEM Audi 19" BBS Speedlines

Nice. Didn't realise these were an option on the A4. must be pretty rare

Nice. Didn't realise these were an option on the A4. must be pretty rare

Unsure of the rarity but i know they can fetch quite a price on the 2nd hand market!

@barkclark great to see you back. Lovely looking car. So what's the next mod? :)

On that subject though, i've just been quoted £200 for backbox removal and replaced with straight pipes and 4" similar style tips!

That sounds interesting.. tell me more! Is it something similar to what DesertStorm did to his?

That sounds interesting.. tell me more! Is it something similar to what DesertStorm did to his?
Desertstorm opened up his back boxes, removed all the baffles and inserted a straight through perforated pipe, filled with padding, then welded the boxes back up.

Im going to get the back boxes removed completely and replaced with straight through pipes

Quick thought - what are you doing about requirement to have DPF fitted for MoT - trying hard not to be a killjoy. :rulez: or is it not a legal requirement yet.

The DPF isn't in the backboxes, AFAIK its alot closer to the engine, probably under the bonnet.

I'm not sure what the MOT rules are on modified (ie removed) backboxes. I think that as long as you retain the CATS (petrol) or DPF (Diesel) then you're fine.

Happy to be corrected though!

Quick thought - what are you doing about requirement to have DPF fitted for MoT - trying hard not to be a killjoy. :rulez: or is it not a legal requirement yet.
Sorry but I think you have misread. Im only replacing the back boxes with straight pipes. The rest of the exhaust will be left untouched

The DPF isn't in the backboxes, AFAIK its alot closer to the engine, probably under the bonnet.

I'm not sure what the MOT rules are on modified (ie removed) backboxes. I think that as long as you retain the CATS (petrol) or DPF (Diesel) then you're fine.

Happy to be corrected though!

Yes the DPF is under the bonnet at the back of the engine.

I am unaware of any MOT requirements for back boxes.

Happy for someone to come along with cold hard facts lol

Nope you're right - it's just the DPF that's an issue for MOT - back boxes are fine. I'll re-read the whole thread and try not to knee jerk next time.

:blow:

Anyone know the offset and width of my OEM 19" Speedlines? All I can assume is they are 19x8.5?

Sunset the other night
12307f73c5b2e07f8440892f08666273.jpg
a8d9d8e56c17ebc1286b78bf50bfe895.jpg

Reactions: JRock247 and gary_a4_quattro
Ordered parts to upgrade my airbox to turbo intake pipe to a smoother 76mm to 57mm silicone reducer, that removes the plastic convoluted pipe which narrows done quite severely and the pre turbo damper. Ill also include a T piece pipe for the crankcase breather.
7ca246ae7fbc7b2eedb3ec07400e782c.jpg

Reactions: THQuattro
Changed the turbo intake pipe. I dont really see the point / difference so I may change it back in the future.
910bbe5720f92189de079b8b2f8177ff.jpg
04a461e595ca0209cbba85d0f38771fd.jpg