2.0 TFSI takes an age to warm up and vibration on full lock

Jack Kelly

265 BHP 2.0 TFSI Saloon
Reaction score
Hi All,

I bought an Audi A4 TFSI 2.0 S Line Quattro over the weekend. Coming from a Honda Accord it's a real step up in power and quality. I do have a couple of potential issues with it I just want to check though.

1. The temperate sensor takes around 30 minutes of driving to get up to just under the 90 mark. I've read the gauge can often fail, do you think that is the case here and I just need to replace the thermometer or something?

2. On full steering lock, if I put a tiny bit of power down the car vibrates, nothing that would shake you physically, but you can hear and feel it. Is this normal or does it point to a potential issue? The vibration only happens when i put my foot on the gas at full lock.

Looking forward to sorting these things out then getting stuck in with some tasteful modifications and smartening up of the car!

Thanks
Jack

Welcome! Stick some pics up. :D

I'd suspect the thermostat personally. Both my B7's came with a shot stat'.

Not sure about the PAS but most manufacturers say not to leave your steering on full lock for extended periods. So it's clearly a point at which there is some stress on the PAS system. Beyond check your fluid, check for leaks, check the belt, check functionality. I'm out of ideas.

Reactions: Jack Kelly
Thanks for the reply, first and foremost here are some pictures!

https://goo.gl/photos/oPrSbGzeVjdU8ASJ6

I will investigate a thermostat replacement.

I thought so too, it's not good to leave it on full lock but I thought it was odd it was vibrating when it was in that position. I will look the car over further but otherwise the steering feels fine.

Thanks for your help :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Reactions: Baka
If you mean a 'shuddering', like tyres skipping on full lock, there is a thread here http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/strange-shaking-vibration-juddering-from-front-wheel-s.86042/

I don't have a Quattro but noticed it more over winter and subsequently had new tyres all round plus work done to front suspension and it hasn't really featured on my radar since.

But to put you somewhat at ease that it may just be 'normal'

The thermostat should be dead on 90 and likely to be the cause, mine was faulty too as seem many others, seems a common fault.

Thanks, Frank. Looks like an insightful thread so I will have a read through and have another test of the car later on.

That's an odd one, I will replace the thermostat and hopefully that'll fix it then.

welcome onboard chap, very nice B7 aswell .
You'll find all the answers to you questions on here plus lots of other witty banter..lol , spend some time looking through the B7 sections and you will get a better overview of what to expect from your new car,and what you can do to it to enhance things and don't be afraid to ask questions as we're all here to help out each other.
and don't forget piicy's , we all love piccy's.

enjoy .

rob
PS, you better lock away your wallet and spare cash now , as soon as you mention the words "modifiactions" and "upgrades" and B7 its a never ending spending spree..lol

One more vote for the thermostat, That's what mine was on my current car and I'm expecting to pop one in my Quattro when I get it up and running and find the same fault!

Weird the thermostats seem to go so often! Oh well, a replacement was cheap so I can't complain too much :)

Thanks for the intro, Rob. I have had a good look through and will continue to go further back, I know forums always have tonnes of useful information!

My car temp is the same and has been for a while, i believe its the stat stuck open, i will at some point get round to chamging ut but it doesnt cause any problems.
As for the noise on full lock, mine does the exact same thing and has done for the 3 years ive owned it.
There isnt much online about it, but i had the centre diff oil changed to see if that made a difference and it didnt, i have noticed though that tyre wear does affect it.
From what ive read, the difference in tyre size (from wear) from front to rear on full lock loads up the diff more, therefore giving the shudder/noise.
also you will notice on wet and greasy roads on full lock thar the front wheels can slip slightly, almost like understeer but obviously whilst manoovering. This is called quattro push and is as it say on the tin, the rear wheels pushing the front wheels forward rather than where they are pointed.
I get a bit of both on full lock and it makes an intresting noise! But as i said above has been like this for 3years and 30k miles, and no problems yet touch wood!

My car temp is the same and has been for a while, i believe its the stat stuck open, i will at some point get round to chamging ut but it doesnt cause any problems.
As for the noise on full lock, mine does the exact same thing and has done for the 3 years ive owned it.
There isnt much online about it, but i had the centre diff oil changed to see if that made a difference and it didnt, i have noticed though that tyre wear does affect it.
From what ive read, the difference in tyre size (from wear) from front to rear on full lock loads up the diff more, therefore giving the shudder/noise.
also you will notice on wet and greasy roads on full lock thar the front wheels can slip slightly, almost like understeer but obviously whilst manoovering. This is called quattro push and is as it say on the tin, the rear wheels pushing the front wheels forward rather than where they are pointed.
I get a bit of both on full lock and it makes an intresting noise! But as i said above has been like this for 3years and 30k miles, and no problems yet touch wood!
Thanks for your reply, some very useful information here :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk