Test Drive: RS 3 Sedan

Exactly what I was thinking when I saw that post. If you just wanted the engine and exhaust note, wouldn't the TTRS be the car for you?

Reactions: Radman
Agreed. My RS3 is my daily drive and needs to do all sorts. The ACC on my previous car was brilliant and I'd highly recommend it.

If I was looking for a pure performance car, it wouldn't be a 4-door compact sedan. This car is a compromise car -- a good compromise, but a compromise nonetheless. That's how it's billed and that's why it's intriguing to many of us. When you consider that, features like ACC are as important as things like the lighter engine block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why have a lighter engine block for motorway cruising? Listen, everyone has their preferences but for me it spoils the aesthetics of the car. I bought the car so I could drive it, not the car itself. All that is required for motorways I'd cruise control. The Stronic makes it easier in traffic. Just my opinion.

Exactly what I was thinking when I saw that post. If you just wanted the engine and exhaust note, wouldn't the TTRS be the car for you?
If I was a hairdresser, yes.

Reactions: AudiNutta
Why have a lighter engine block for motorway cruising? Listen, everyone has their preferences but for me it spoils the aesthetics of the car. I bought the car so I could drive it, not the car itself. All that is required for motorways I'd cruise control. The Stronic makes it easier in traffic. Just my opinion.

Because I'm not going to do solely motorway cruising. You're certainly entitled to your opinion and entitled to your opinion that the wart on the grill is too much of a negative to outweigh the positive of ACC. As you say, we all have our preferences and purposes for buying this particular car. Was just a little odd that it was implied we were daft for thinking ACC was a nice feature to have on this car.

If I was a hairdresser, yes.
Now, now... it's not all hairdressers in the TTRS. Some nail technicians too...:tonguewink:

Joking aside... I'm with you Radman. Don't see the the point in ACC. Jeez I've not even got the standard cruise control. Don't miss it, I've never needed it, never think about it.

ACC is a bit like mouthwash. Leaves a nice taste in your mouth but all you need REALLY is a good toothbrush and some quality toothpaste.

Now, now... it's not all hairdressers in the TTRS. Some nail technicians too...:tonguewink:

Joking aside... I'm with you Radman. Don't see the the point in ACC. Jeez I've not even got the standard cruise control. Don't miss it, I've never needed it, never think about it.

ACC is a bit like mouthwash. Leaves a nice taste in your mouth but all you need REALLY is a good toothbrush and some quality toothpaste.
I've never really found standard cruise control useful, but ACC is pretty useful in very heavy traffic for long periods of time. It's not something you sue all the time, but it has it's uses -- kind of like windscreen wipers, air conditioning, auto headlights etc.

If I was looking for a pure performance car, it wouldn't be a 4-door compact sedan. This car is a compromise car -- a good compromise, but a compromise nonetheless. That's how it's billed and that's why it's intriguing to many of us. When you consider that, features like ACC are as important as things like the lighter engine block.

Great points on both side of this argument, I think. For me it came down to how I was going to use the car. I don't commute, so I spend very little of my time driving in traffic. The aesthetics of the car are just more important to me than the functionality of ACC.

Just couldn't stand the thought of that big ugly sensor in the middle of this grille...

6qzhhg.jpg

But, to each his own. Stopped at my dealership this afternoon and removed the driver assistance package from my order.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Radman
Great points on both side of this argument, I think. For me it came down to how I was going to use the car. I don't commute, so I spend very little of my time driving in traffic. The aesthetics of the car are just more important to me than the functionality of ACC.

Just couldn't stand the thought of that big ugly sensor in the middle of this grille...

6qzhhg.jpg

But, to each his own. Stopped at my dealership this afternoon and removed the driver assistance package from my order.
It would look terrible on the front of a car with no front plates on it (like the pic above), but in my view, once the plate is installed it's pretty discrete. Certainly better than some of the Volvo and Jaguar implementations I've seen.

As you say, it's great it's an option and that way everyone can choose which way they want to go with it.

Reactions: weaks4uce
If Audi could just use the VW implementation and fit it into the logo, no one would ever notice it.

isn't the sensor fitted to mock fog lights on the A4 / A5 ?

Even something like that would be better, so it blends in.

The stuck on sensor 'as is' looks exactly what it is ... an after though bodge !

Audi should have put more thought into intergrating into the cars design so it blends in more that is a fact.

Reactions: Bristle Hound and Radman
isn't the sensor fitted to mock fog lights on the A4 / A5 ?

Even something like that would be better, so it blends in.

The stuck on sensor 'as is' looks exactly what it is ... an after though bodge !

Audi should have put more thought into intergrating into the cars design so it blends in more that is a fact.
I'm sure it'll be sorted in the new A3.

What has a tuned one got to do with anything?

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

That A45 was standard BTW as the chap had put it back to stock.

TX.

What has a tuned one got to do with anything?

TX.

Apparently you missed the part about it putting out significantly more than the old engine... Keep dreaming it will be close, LOL

It is more, 10hp. A TTRS has been on the rollers. It has more torque granted. Only one dreaming is you if you think it has "significantly" more.

TX.

It is more, 10hp. A TTRS has been on the rollers. It has more torque granted. Only one dreaming is you if you think it has "significantly" more.

TX.

I dunno, most of the big tuners are pretty sure they can get a lot more out of it. 500hp Stage 1, for instance, is pretty attractive.

Maybe but why are we talking about a tuned one? Standard vs standard there is not a lot in it hp wise, fact.

TX.

Reactions: Djs3saloon
Maybe but why are we talking about a tuned one? Standard vs standard there is not a lot in it hp wise, fact.

TX.

Well, yes and no. The tested numbers on the new engine are 404 hp and 404 ft-lb., and supposedly 0-60 in 3.7. That's a pretty marked improvement. I'm not saying I'd upgrade from a 2016 RS3 if I had one (truthfully, I probably would not), but it's certainly more than a negligible improvement.

It isn't though as PFL gets to 60 in 3.6s and has been on rollers many times at close to 400hp standard. I really don't care tbh but when people comment that the FL is "significantly" faster (a) they don't know as it's not released yet (b) it seems unlikely vs the TTRS.

TX.

It isn't though as PFL gets to 60 in 3.6s and has been on rollers many times at close to 400hp standard.

People who want to argue this point keep saying this, and pretty much everyone else keep saying it's a 4 second car. I've never driven one, so I don't know. I do know that it seems unlikely given the notably lower stock power and torque ratings, but you know, I don't really care either. I didn't have a PFL, and I'm getting a FL, so it ultimately doesn't matter to me. Just find it odd that there's that much of a discrepancy.

Reactions: AudiNutta
I'm glad you're getting one fella they are awesome cars as is the 8P too. Imho the FL will be a bit quicker as it has more torque, posters saying "significantly" quicker are plain and simple wrong. FYI I've driven places with the 8Ps all around me and considering the power gap you'd be surprised to hear not much in it at all!

TX.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
There's a guy on this forum who has spent just over £2k and got his RS3 running 11.4s quarter miles and low 3's to 60mph. The pre-FL is also very tuneable. And that not to mention Aoon's, who admittedly has spent an insane amount more money.

There's a guy on this forum who has spent just over £2k and got his RS3 running 11.4s quarter miles and low 3's to 60mph. The pre-FL is also very tuneable. And that not to mention Aoon's, who admittedly has spent an insane amount more money.

It is fair to say Aoon is an outlier and that it cost him marginally more than the cost of a Stage 1 tune to get to 500hp.

I'm glad you're getting one fella they are awesome cars as is the 8P too. Imho the FL will be a bit quicker as it has more torque, posters saying "significantly" quicker are plain and simple wrong. FYI I've driven places with the 8Ps all around me and considering the power gap you'd be surprised to hear not much in it at all!

TX.

Why don't you educate the company doing the tune then? I mean...did you still not read the link, lol? Verbatim : "Our first dyno-tests and data logs are showing significant power increase from the previous versions and those results are surpassing even the stock (advertised power) figures."

Please send them an email letting them know that they are wrong.

Ha ha take a look at the revo site where they continue to measure hp increases against the as stated 370hp vs what it actually is standard at 390-400. Others doing that too.

I couldn't give a **** about the FL and will pop back in the new model version to **** on your chips :tearsofjoy:

TX.

Reactions: Radman and ComputerControlled
Ha ha take a look at the revo site where they continue to measure hp increases against the as stated 370hp vs what it actually is standard at 390-400. Others doing that too.

I couldn't give a **** about the FL and will pop back in the new model version to **** on your chips :tearsofjoy:

TX.

Probably not the best example... but doesn't seem like APR is getting anywhere close to 400hp on rollers stock: http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_25tfsi_mqb.html

This feels a bit like the mk6 R/GTI forums trying to downplay the improvements the mk7 engines were bringing :D

*And to be totally honest, outside of the BT Iroz builds, the RS cars have always seemed a bit slow. Barely quicker than a BT GTI/R. This time it seems it may be different.

You clearly don't want to understand what I'm saying so I'll leave you to brag about how "significantly" faster it is having not a clue.

TX.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Radman and ComputerControlled
Probably not the best example... but doesn't seem like APR is getting anywhere close to 400hp on rollers stock: http://www.goapr.com/products/ecu_upgrade_25tfsi_mqb.html

This feels a bit like the mk6 R/GTI forums trying to downplay the improvements the mk7 engines were bringing :D

*And to be totally honest, outside of the BT Iroz builds, the RS cars have always seemed a bit slow. Barely quicker than a BT GTI/R. This time it seems it may be different.
Mine came in at 425hp on the rollers...
... didn't really...:tongueclosed:
But...:openmouth:
It's silly, silly, silly fast as it is. I don't get all this obsession with this is faster, more powerful, more torque etc. 20hp, sub 4 seconds blah blah... really?! Does it REALLY matter?
Saying that, I'm like Jassy... I drive mine like it's a Volvo.

What RS do you drive then?

It seems clearly that Audi has stood up saying and wanting be in the top of this category/class. Those figueres proved what everyone has known already but it was nice to get it backed up in that vid. Numbers are of course important otherwise you can buy a 6 sec car much more cheaper so buyers of these cars are petrol heads, wanting the fastest car they can affore and yes RS cars are nowadays silly fast and other car owners realizing it after been beaten the hard way. I also wonder what car Halvie have :)?

That's the drag race. The M2 is nowhere, even once past 100mph. The Porsche is quite impressive.

What RS do you drive then?

I have a commission number for my 2018. No delivery ETA yet. I plan on paying cash. Is that alright?

Silly fast? What did it run for a 1/4? Do you have a dyno you can post? Cause isn't the supposedly impressive 11.4 about equal to a stage 2 MK7 R? That's what I currently have and it isn't anything close to silly fast.

You clearly don't want to understand what I'm saying so I'll leave you to brag about how "significantly" faster it is having not a clue.

TX.

ok

Last edited by a moderator:
It is fair to say Aoon is an outlier and that it cost him marginally more than the cost of a Stage 1 tune to get to 500hp.

My point exactly. For £2k you make these cars supercar fast. Aoon has spent significantly more, but his is approaching hypercar fast!

I have a commission number for my 2018. No delivery ETA yet. I plan on paying cash. Is that alright?

Silly fast? What did it run for a 1/4? Do you have a dyno you can post? Cause isn't the supposedly impressive 11.4 about equal to a stage 2 MK7 R? That's what I currently have and it isn't anything close to silly fast.

ok
I had a Golf R prior to the RS3 that ran an 11.9s 1/4 mile. It didn't feel that fast. But I think that's a symptom of the 4WD and DSG. It makes everything seem so easy. I remember back in the day being in cars running in the 12's, but it felt savage...wheelspin and trying to keep the car in a straight line etc. The RS3 might disappoint you if you're expecting it to feel any faster than the Golf. But it does feel a more special car, that I can say for sure.

I had a Golf R prior to the RS3 that ran an 11.9s 1/4 mile. It didn't feel that fast. But I think that's a symptom of the 4WD and DSG. It makes everything seem so easy. I remember back in the day being in cars running in the 12's, but it felt savage...wheelspin and trying to keep the car in a straight line etc. The RS3 might disappoint you if you're expecting it to feel any faster than the Golf. But it does feel a more special car, that I can say for sure.

I'm expecting it to feel similar to the Golf stock, but I don't plan on keeping it stock for long.

These cars should also have much better headroom for mods than the Golf. Although... we are starting to see a lot of 10 second MK7 R's now. Still, if they can do 10's stock turbo and 8's with an Iroz kit, that is a good improvement over what the 2.0t offers. Not even factoring in engine noise / the car feeling a lot more special / etc.