Broken Piston on 2012 Black Edition A4 !!

dankeepinitreal

Reaction score
Anybody had an issue with a newish vehicle mine's a 2012 2.0 TFSI with 44,000 miles. Massive Piston fail scored the bore hole and knackered the engine, managed to get a used engine but it still cost me £2700.00!!

Funnily enough it happened after a re map. The company denied the re map was the issue but it was fine before the map.....?

Attachments

• 20170510_155007.jpg
    20170510_155007.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 701
Last edited by a moderator:
such low mileage for something so major!
I have heard someone else say that 6 months after they had their DIESEL mapped by a rookie in southampton, that the piston rings starting leaking, so he sold the car asap for fear of it breaking on him, he was certain the map was to blame but there is no evidence to support this other than it was mapped not long before.. so potentially?!
Full Service history with oil changes at correct intervals and OE oil?

Was yours one of the engines known for issues with oil burning ?
Had it been fixed ?
Could it have been an underlying issues that was made worse by tuning ?
Any signs of being lean or rich ?

Reactions: Meemo
Was yours one of the engines known for issues with oil burning ?
Had it been fixed ?
Could it have been an underlying issues that was made worse by tuning ?
Any signs of being lean or rich ?
To be fair it was running fine before the remap so we'll never know I guess. I know the 2.0 TFSI does run quite lean in standard mode so it could have contributed but it was a very expensive lesson and I'm driving like Miss Daisy at the mo !

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

such low mileage for something so major!
I have heard someone else say that 6 months after they had their DIESEL mapped by a rookie in southampton, that the piston rings starting leaking, so he sold the car asap for fear of it breaking on him, he was certain the map was to blame but there is no evidence to support this other than it was mapped not long before.. so potentially?!
Full Service history with oil changes at correct intervals and OE oil?
Yep full history and was serviced at the right intervals

So on a different note can the standard Harden Karmon stereo be played around with? I hate the basic screen you get and wondered if you can add to this or replace the screen with a modern unit ?

Ringland Failure. I'm calling bad tune, engine has probably probably been subject to a lot of Detonation / Knock. Sorry for your loss

Exactly as above. TFSI pistons are soo common for it. Even a slightly weak injector can cause it to go, so worth getting them checked incase one is/has started to fail.

Thats bad news mate are these engines bad for maps then.
If people are looking to get their cars mapped then don't go cheap go to the big boys.

They fine for maps, loads of TFSI's run maps. They just arent as forgiving as the normal injector in the manifold setup.