If you are thinking of buying a VCDS cable...

Hal Adams

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Do not fall into the trap that I did - go onto the Ross-Tech website and look at the information regarding the HEX-CAN and HEX-V2.

The HEX-CAN has been replaced with the HEX-V2. The HEX-CAN will not work on some models (see their website) and Ross-Tech advise that the HEX-CAN should not be used on any models later than 2016. Yes, it will work on many, but certain elements might not register due to Audi changing the controller type. Ross-Tech will not give any support to anyone using a HEX-CAN on a >2016 model of any type.

In short, if you plan to work on a >2016 car, do not buy a HEX-CAN. Reputable suppliers will sell only a HEX-V2, unless asked but one or two resellers might slip out a HEX-CAN using the excuse that they were unaware of the change...

I am presuming that the Hex+CAN USB is amune to that issue?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

No - anything with CAN in it applies. Going forward it is necessary to use the V2 unless you will never use it on a 2016+ car. I omitted to say that the HEX-CAN will still get full support if regeistered and used on a <2016 car.

No - anything with CAN in it applies. Going forward it is necessary to use the V2 unless you will never use it on a 2016+ car. I omitted to say that the HEX-CAN will still get full support if regeistered and used on a <2016 car.

That's really annoying as I only purchased my cable last year from Marshalls and this is what they said at the time "The best cable is the HEX + CAN USB VCDS @ £270 inc. delivery and VAT."

Which is what I purchased, now my RS3 is a 2015 model so I guess it is OK but I would have expected this cable to work fine on any new Audi for a good few year to come.

Ah, now, this is the trap I fell into - being told the same.

When did Marshalls say this? It was known way way back in 2015 and maybe before that the HEX-CAN was coming to an end. Ross-tech communicated this several times to their agents. The question maybe is: Did their agents pass the info on to the resellers? I bought mine from a reseller in January - well after the V2 was being shipped to the agents, so did my reseller know, or did they think this a good opportunity to pass out a CAN cable? I caused a bit of a stir and as it was this late a purchase, Ross-Tech advised me to take it up strongly with their agent which I did and won a V2 replacement. In defence of the agent, Ilexa, their attitude was one of the customer is right and without any quibble set up a replacement. I have nothing but praise for their understanding, and indeed that of Ross-Tech in the States.

The reason for the cease of the CAN cable is that Audi have changed a lot of the various controllers to a new technology (I do not know the detail) which will appear on new cars BUT some older cars will be fitted with them as well - I know for a fact, from mine, that I cannot access some controllers with a CAN cable using the new v17 software.

This is where going through a recognised reseller/agent paid off. I looked at several on ebay and around where I could have saved some money, but of course have no recourse for an exchange. Hence my warning to those condsidering buying a cable.

Maybe you should ask a few pointed questions of your reseller, particularly around the subject of them 'knowingly sold a product that was not fit for purpose'..??

Good points, I will indeed approach them. I purchased in May last year.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Yep, I'd go for it. Maybe even call Ross-Tech in the States for their take. In my case, they went to pains to say that They, Ross-Tech, take pride in their product and would have thought that any agent/reseller would follow suit and advise customers - and in your case, advise them to wait a bit for the future proofed version.