Caliper spacing inboard & outboard positions.

Charlie Farley

Chilling out.
Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
As in the title really chaps, I need to free up a space approx. 3mm or 4mm max between my brembo's and new alloys, I have some 3mm spacers on the way but don't really like using them even if is thin ones and I don't wish to use them on the rears anyway.

I have 3 possible solutions.

1, mill 3mm of the edge of the caliper, doable but not a 5 min job as i'd need to remove the calipers etc etc again , repaint ....so not ideal.
2, fit 3mm spacer on the front, again doable but don't really like spacers and especially just on the fronts , not sure if that's a good idea either.
or
3, re-align the caliper by 3mm inboard, still not ideal but easy to remove the bolts and insert a 3mm washer to move the caliper inboard enough to gain the space required for rim clearance.

If I go with plan (3) will the pads wear unevenly , or carry on pretty well as per norm, my thinking is that once the 3mm gap has been filled by the action of the pistons pushing the pad back to the disc face , other than the caliper being 3mm of centre the pads should in effect still work the same ...

any thought chaps on these ideas.

cheers
rob

Spacers Rob, all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dd5-jpg.118474
Are you planning on placing a washer in between the caliper and knuckle mounting point?? It may change the brake pedal travel a little bit because the piston has to travel further,the other brake pad(outer) may not fit due to 3mm mil movement inboard. Someone may correct me if i'm wrong

space the wheel Rob you won't know they are there trust me mate, save you a lot of hassel, i think ajax spaced his calipers before you could give him a shout see how he did it, but ideally you would need a deeper top hat on the discs to take them inbound as well so they still sit even, i couldn't do that to mine as the discs are already almost touching the bottom arm joint, mine are 19's et35 with a 3mm spacer and they still under the arch
20170513 110056

Just use a spacer Rob.....it will be a lot easier and cheaper to do it this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You won't notice a 3mm spacer. If you move the caliper in board with a 3mm washer you may find the caliper fouling on the disc as on some calipers there isn't a lot of room between the disc and the caliper where the disc sweeps through the caliper.