Insight from SMF users please

Max Read

Reaction score
Can anyone give me a good insight into using a SMF over the DMF?

In the not so distant future I'm going to need to replace the clutch, I like the idea of a lightweight SMF over a DMF but I wouldn't mind knowing what it's like to live with? Plus what clutch people are running with them?

Can anyone give me a good insight into using a SMF over the DMF?

In the not so distant future I'm going to need to replace the clutch, I like the idea of a lightweight SMF over a DMF but I wouldn't mind knowing what it's like to live with? Plus what clutch people are running with them?

If you plan on running a big turbo,or lots of drag runs,then an SMF makes sense.

The downsides are:

Noise and vibration at idle.
If you choose a paddle clutch,a degree of feeling like a switch.
Occasional high rpm engagement/disengagement issues.

The best Ive come across was the Spec Stg3+

Organic DMF clutches have a near stock feel,and decent torque limits,and will do most people most of the time.
A good example would be the Sachs organic.

I have the Sachs organic clutch combined with a lightweight SMF, in overall really satisfied with it! My clutch was still ok but the DMF was rattling like crazy so had everything replaced including release bearing. The main reason I decided to go with a SMF setup was reliability as I drive the car pretty hard and will be occasional trackdays in the future. My tuner also recommended this setup over a DMF.

The main benefits of having the SMF are the mentioned reliability (should be bulletproof no matter how you drive it), and a slightly improved throttle response, easier to rev match and heel-toe too thanks to that.

You will notice some flywheel chatter mainly when engine braking or at idle, other than that I can't really think of any downsides. The Sachs kit I have is balanced together so vibrations are kept to a minimum, even when running upgraded engine/gearbox mounts like I am. The clutch is really easy around town too, biting point is somewhat different but nothing you won't get used to. From what I've read the engagement issues mentioned above has to do with a worn input shaft bearing on the gearbox, luckily I haven't experienced that issue so far.

Reactions: S3Alex
I have the Sachs organic clutch combined with a lightweight SMF, in overall really satisfied with it! My clutch was still ok but the DMF was rattling like crazy so had everything replaced including release bearing. The main reason I decided to go with a SMF setup was reliability as I drive the car pretty hard and will be occasional trackdays in the future. My tuner also recommended this setup over a DMF.

The main benefits of having the SMF are the mentioned reliability (should be bulletproof no matter how you drive it), and a slightly improved throttle response, easier to rev match and heel-toe too thanks to that.

You will notice some flywheel chatter mainly when engine braking or at idle, other than that I can't really think of any downsides. The Sachs kit I have is balanced together so vibrations are kept to a minimum, even when running upgraded engine/gearbox mounts like I am. The clutch is really easy around town too, biting point is somewhat different but nothing you won't get used to. From what I've read the engagement issues mentioned above has to do with a worn input shaft bearing on the gearbox, luckily I haven't experienced that issue so far.

That's spot on! Exactly what I was after!
I have AKS 5 mins up the road and they usually deal with helix kits I think. Part of my thinking is also, getting the car ready to potentially go stage 3.

That's spot on! Exactly what I was after!
I have AKS 5 mins up the road and they usually deal with helix kits I think. Part of my thinking is also, getting the car ready to potentially go stage 3.

Just remember that paddle clutches have a tendency to be a bit grabby in traffic or hill starts.
The Spec is full face carbon/metallic clutch that feels like stock around town but will still cope with over 500lbs of torque.

Most are fine but there has been several Sachs/Helix clutch & DMF owners that have had slipping issues on their stage 2+ remaps, so if you're thinking of stage 3, then I would personally go with S3Alex' advice regarding the Spec 3+ Clutch & Steel SMF. Spec produce the most solid and bulletproof clutch & SMF's on the market for under £1,500, I think you've already seen my thread regarding Ultrarev being the cheapest supplier.

As mentioned, then the only downside to a SMF setup is the increased vibrations, but more so the chatter at idle. One thing you can get to help reduce this is a Fluidampr Engine Damper: http://www.uspmotorsports.com/Engine/Pulleys/Fluidampr-Engine-Damper-2.0T-FSI.html. You can see a couple of reviews on there stating that it made a noticeable difference, plus it reduces RPM drops between shifts, I'll be going for one for when my Spec 2+ Clutch & Steel SMF gets fitted once my stock one goes.

Reactions: S3Alex and Max Read
Cheers guys, decent amount of info on them. I'm not feeling a paddle clutch, still want it to be fairly user friendly. I think having the benefits of the lightweight SMF will overweight the chatter that comes with it for me I think. I'll check out ultrarev, wherever you look I haven't seen a bad comment on the spec clutches. It's just something you want to get right instead of having to replace it again soon after.

Reactions: HHS3