Driver-assist re-calibration

Kraken27

Reaction score
Well I've had the new A3 for 11 days & love it. Dunno what Audi did in the facelift of the A3, but the new car is basically the same spec as the old one (with a few more toys added on) but 4 years newer. The engine is far more responsive and it seems to handle better too.

Anyway, I digress. Some nice Chav in their Imprezza was speeding past me in the other direction (doing at least 70 in a 40) and flicked a stone at my windscreen. A lovely 20cm crack appeared instantly, so £50 excess for a new windscreen that is being fitted tomorrow.

Autoglass say the driver assist system will need re-calibration after the new windscreen. They can do this for £212.50+VAT (so £255) if I take the car to one of their calibration centres. Any idea what Audi charge for this? (can't get hold of the service dept today as it's a bank hol). Also, if anyone knows of an independent garage in the East Midlands - ideally Notts / Derbys - who could do this, please let me know.

The only final & very naughty thought is "will Audi know it's not the original windscreen" if I phone up and say the driver assist package is not working correctly and try to get the recalibration done as warranty work?!

if you only had it for 11 days, don't mention the crack, and just say that the calibration is off, and they should do it for free. They will know it's not the original screen if they look hard, but knowing repair shops, they wouldn't bother looking at it that hard.

But can't you get the recalibration covered by the insurance? It's part of the cost of replacing the screen after all. Maybe a long shot though.

But can't you get the recalibration covered by the insurance? It's part of the cost of replacing the screen after all. Maybe a long shot though.
This is a good shout. I'd push for this before paying for it.