Remapping A3 on PCP?

Does a tuning box still flag up a TD1 thou on the ECU?
A tuning box can flag up, but its a different code:

Flag Information

It's all very well removing the sw from the car, but if the data has ever been transferred to Audi in the past then it's still recorded / archived somewhere within Audi's files for the car that it has had a TD1 marker against it at some point.
just make sure it doesn't get transferred to Audi

just make sure it doesn't get transferred to Audi
Audi standard procedure is to use guided fault finding and "diagnosis" within ODIS. Unless the tech in question uses "self-diagnosis" then all information is sent and recorded.

If you want to avoid "flagging" with a remap then you need to have the remap removed and the stock software refreshed, then drive the car "stock" for a few days before going in for service or warranty works. This will give the ECU etc time to re-adapt to stock values. Same goes for a tuning box, but in addition to removing you need to make sure that no obvious "marks" or indeed "clean spots" that can be seen from when removing the boxes harness.

Reactions: deanshaw24 and richinsoton
Audi standard procedure is to use guided fault finding and "diagnosis" within ODIS. Unless the tech in question uses "self-diagnosis" then all information is sent and recorded.

If you want to avoid "flagging" with a remap then you need to have the remap removed and the stock software refreshed, then drive the car "stock" for a few days before going in for service or warranty works. This will give the ECU etc time to re-adapt to stock values. Same goes for a tuning box, but in addition to removing you need to make sure that no obvious "marks" or indeed "clean spots" that can be seen from when removing the boxes harness.
That's what I meant, remove the map prior to any work

That's what I meant, remove the map prior to any work
Problem solved. Except....

1/ what about the checksums, flash counters etc that show that the car has been altered at some point.

2/Why is the car going for 'work'? If it's going in because it's broken, which I'm told is the usual cause and need for warranty work, then I for one am curious to know how an owner is supposed get the software refreshed and then drive around for a few days in order for the ecu's to magically forget that they've been sustaining and recording ignition timings, fuel flows, exhaust temperatures and countless other parameters way out of spec, if the car is sitting there dead as a dodo with its con-rods sticking through the radiator.

Reactions: richinsoton

1/ what about the checksums, flash counters etc that show that the car has been altered at some point.

A good re-mapper should be able to match the checksum with no issues, however this would be when mapping the vehicle. When returning to stock, unless the mapper can alter the stock checksum, I am guessing that the previous / original firmware would need to go back on and not an updated official version... if this makes sense. Mapper would need to keep a database of legacy software and keep a record of what was on each car.

As for the flash counter, since owning the official dealership tool I am yet to actually find one myself but that does not mean that one does not exist.

2/Why is the car going for 'work'? If it's going in because it's broken, which I'm told is the usual cause and need for warranty work, then I for one am curious to know how an owner is supposed get the software refreshed and then drive around for a few days in order for the ecu's to magically forget that they've been sustaining and recording ignition timings, fuel flows, exhaust temperatures and countless other parameters way out of spec, if the car is sitting there dead as a dodo with its con-rods sticking through the radiator.

In this situation you would prolly be found out lol. Same happens if you have a box and were in an accident or suffered a failure... you would need to remove the box and harness before the AA turned up, so if you have a DTUK box make sure you have a tool box and trolly jack in the boot at all times :)

A good deal of warranty works are away from the mechanics these days tho. Take my FL as an example... it needs to go back to have the boot lid aligned (known issue from collection / issue missed in PDI) but Audi is still going to plug-in and scan my car as its procedure, even though all they need to actually do is pop the boot, remove some trim, loosen some bolts and move the panel until it fits and then reinstall everything. I will be removing my box a few days before and putting a few miles on the clock before dropping the car in.

But if the car has been put back to standard and not modified then why would a technician spend time searching through Odis to find historic data, truth is if the computer brings up a test plan all the technician will do is follow the test plan, he couldn't give a monkeys if there's data somewhere out of spec, he just wants to spend as little time on the job as possible to hit his bonus.

And I suppose you could always detour to the tuners to get the map taken off first lol. Unless of course you've been injured. But then the car wouldn't be going straight to the dealers anyway

A good re-mapper should be able to match the checksum with no issues, however this would be when mapping the vehicle. When returning to stock, unless the mapper can alter the stock checksum, I am guessing that the previous / original firmware would need to go back on and not an updated official version... if this makes sense. Mapper would need to keep a database of legacy software and keep a record of what was on each car.

As for the flash counter, since owning the official dealership tool I am yet to actually find one myself but that does not mean that one does not exist.

In this situation you would prolly be found out lol. Same happens if you have a box and were in an accident or suffered a failure... you would need to remove the box and harness before the AA turned up, so if you have a DTUK box make sure you have a tool box and trolly jack in the boot at all times :)

A good deal of warranty works are away from the mechanics these days tho. Take my FL as an example... it needs to go back to have the boot lid aligned (known issue from collection / issue missed in PDI) but Audi is still going to plug-in and scan my car as its procedure, even though all they need to actually do is pop the boot, remove some trim, loosen some bolts and move the panel until it fits and then reinstall everything. I will be removing my box a few days before and putting a few miles on the clock before dropping the car in.
Yes anything that's electrical you need to run GFF

Only get around is to use a piggy back system like MTM or DTUK. Then you can take it off without many implications.

Reading this really p#sses me off, all talk of sneaking around to remove traces. Just don't ****** do it, you don't own the vehicle, it's not yours to f about with. If you want to then buy it and do as you please.

Reactions: OST, GSB, richinsoton and 3 others
Reading this really p#sses me off, all talk of sneaking around to remove traces. Just don't ****** do it, you don't own the vehicle, it's not yours to f about with. If you want to then buy it and do as you please.

This.

Instead of worrying about Audi finding out, just don't do it.

Reactions: OST and Wibbly
I think the conversation has expanded a bit from the original topic of PCP and tuning to Warranty and tuning. Before this gets out of control...
  • Is it possible to do? Yes, within limits but can be hassle to maintain.
  • Should you do it? No, its not your car until the final ballon payment is made.
Done.

Reactions: Tom.H
I think the conversation has expanded a bit from the original topic of PCP and tuning to Warranty and tuning. Before this gets out of control...
  • Is it possible to do? Yes, within limits but can be hassle to maintain.
  • Should you do it? No, its not your car until the final ballon payment is made.
Done.
Fair comment

Although people are still looking to fiddle the systems to retain a warranty even though they are adjusting the vehicle outside of the original spec/set up.

I don't understand how people find it acceptable to fiddle with a car and still expect the manufacturer to treat it as stock.

I do understand that owners like to tune to unlock what's underneath but then they have to forgoe certain rights and securities that the warranty provides.

Last edited:
This.

Instead of worrying about Audi finding out, just don't do it.
+1
I would guess that many have already done it though and are now having an "oh ****" moment about warranties/GFV now that Audi are getting better at detecting it and cracking down.

Reactions: TYb
But if the car has been put back to standard and not modified then why would a technician spend time searching through Odis to find historic data, truth is if the computer brings up a test plan all the technician will do is follow the test plan, he couldn't give a monkeys if there's data somewhere out of spec, he just wants to spend as little time on the job as possible to hit his bonus.
It's not the techie working on the car you need to worry about, but when it comes to the warranty claim assessment & it's rejected & potentially the Audi retailer is then looking for payment for an engine (for example).

It's not the techie working on the car you need to worry about, but when it comes to the warranty claim assessment & it's rejected & potentially the Audi retailer is then looking for payment for an engine (for example).
Yeah but by the time that's happened you've already got your car back and happy as Larry, if it gets rejected by Audi it's the centers bad luck

+1
I would guess that many have already done it though and are now having an "oh ****" moment about warranties/GFV now that Audi are getting better at detecting it and cracking down.
mines on a 17 plate and remapped by MRC and I couldn't give a monkeys

Reactions: Glasgoe Joe
Yeah but by the time that's happened you've already got your car back and happy as Larry, if it gets rejected by Audi it's the centers bad luck

Surely you could still be liable though if it's been rejected due to the remap?

Surely you could still be liable though if it's been rejected due to the remap?
What are Audi going to do, you've signed a piece of paper to say the work was completed under warranty.

When I was a tech we had numerous jobs that got rejected under warranty and we just had to suck it up

I was T-boned by anorher car, her fault, car was undriveable, steering rack/front axle plus a lot body damage, car fitted with a Tunit box.....lucky l carried some tools in the hatch, had to remove the box before the emergency pick up truck came or otherwise it would have been seen by all and sundry ie the insurance assessor.... A close call that was

Reactions: DJAlix, Tom.H and deanshaw24
I was T-boned by anorher car, her fault, car was undriveable, steering rack/front axle plus a lot body damage, car fitted with a Tunit box.....lucky l carried some tools in the hatch, had to remove the box before the emergency pick up truck came or otherwise it would have been seen by all and sundry ie the insurance assessor.... A close call that was
Have got a nice little tool box and a Linx 1010b tablet with an old VCDS cable that I leave in the car lol :)

Reactions: johnerz and Jassyo06
What are Audi going to do, you've signed a piece of paper to say the work was completed under warranty.
If they (Audi or the retailer) put two & two together & realise you've got a PCP (as that was the original question) with them potentially you could be in the same situation as the chap in that Seat forum thread that gets repeated on here occasionally.

As I've said previously on this thread they (any manufacturers) are looking harder at mods & mileages as there has been an increase in clocking vehicles to keep below agreed mileages on PCP's & hence a rise in warranty claims relating directly to cars not being serviced at the correct intervals & of course clocking also has an influence on agreed future values etc...