What are wire for in my door handles

Fossil23

Reaction score
I was looking at the back of my door handles and when lifting them you can see a couple of wires routing into them, I have the recess for the finger print opening and also clear lenses underneath which must be for night lighting however I don't appear to have either of these options, do they just fit the wires as standard and just cap the ends?

The cars I've tested have handle lighting that comes on when unlocking in the dark, one was the SE and one was the S4 so both ends of the spectrum so I imagine that's what they're there for?

Mine don't light up when it's dark (my old BMW used to light up when unlocking the doors) do I need to switch this on somehow or have light switch selected on?

Hmmm, now that I don't know I'm afraid. Have a look through the settings as I thought this was standard thing on the A4, but may be trim specific? What trim level is yours?

Entry/exit lights

The entry/exit lights illuminate the area around the vehicle after dark when you unlock the vehicle or when the ignition has been switched off and the driver's door opened.

The entry/exit lights are operational after dark when the light switch is set to AUTO.

Entry/exit lights

The entry/exit lights illuminate the area around the vehicle after dark when you unlock the vehicle or when the ignition has been switched off and the driver's door opened.

The entry/exit lights are operational after dark when the light switch is set to AUTO.

Are they standard on all trim levels though? That's what I wasn't sure about...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like they are included as part of the LED interior lighting pack which is fitted to Sport and above trim levels

I'll try leaving lights in auto and see if that works

Tried with lights in auto in dark garage, handle lights come on, seems strange for them to work only in auto.

I imagine that's when it takes a reading from the light sensors and that's why it only works in that mode.

Set them up in the MMI i think it is the top option 'car settings' right click and you get further options look for exterior lights.