Quick airbag/vag-com question.

Reedler18

Reaction score
I realise there's a section for vag-com but This is B5 specific (I think!)
I finally got my cable to connect after renaming com ports etc and then tried to clear my airbag light. A warning popped up about possibly damaging the control module so I cancelled it for another day. Any thoughts on how I should proceed? Is this a generic message or should I worry?

Cheers in advance. Si.

Vag com? Have you scanned it for a code?

That was the scan. It asked if I wanted to include the airbags in the scan so I ticked the box and it then warned me of possible damage to the control module on certain models. This is a third party lead I should add, not the expensive one. Version 409-1.

Id be very wary of 3rd party generic leads.

There is a reason its £5.99 and not the £250 Vagcom costs...

Ahh sorry. I have the vagcom that allows an auto scan and also full access to individual bits and bobs.
Never the less my money is on the yellow? Connector under the drivers seat.
Loop it out was what i was told.

Its a generic message and doesnt apply to the B5 so dont worry.

You cant loop the connector out to clear the fault. What you can do though, is cut the connector off and directly solder the wires together to make a better connection. However regardless what you do, you still need VCDS or similar to clear the fault code and airbag light, it wont go away by itself.

Reactions: Reedler18
I bought the lead purely for the airbag light so as long as it clears that I'm happy. I'm assuming I disconnect the battery for a while before removing the yellow connector? I read somewhere that it wipes the throttle body parameters in the ecu and won't idle afterwards so decided to put the job on hold for a bit.
Cheers for the replies.

resetting the airbag wont reset any throttle parameters its fine, just get on with it :p

Reactions: Reedler18
I had this under the drivers seat of an s4 pfl. Someone had connected this (looped) to do away with the airbag dash light fault. As said you will still need to reset the code via your vcds.
If it is any use to you it's yours for postage and a pint

20170607 174723 1209x1612