Leaving S3 at Airport?

AudiNutta

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just curious how many of you leave your S3's/RS' at the airport? I am extremely nervous about leaving the S3 in the airport. I wouldn't use P&R like I normally do but park it and take the keys, but I'm still worried about vandals.

The other option I have is pay £150 or so to add me to the insurance on the girlfriends Corsa and take that on the trek to the airport. That way the S3 could stay in the garage. Unfortunately getting dropped off isn't an option, going to Birmingham airport so it's 100+ miles for us. We are looking for a second break flying from Gatwick, which is 180 miles away. I'd be leaving in plenty of time in the Corsa put it that way...

Silly question I know, but I thought one worth asking. I know it's silly to get so worried about using it, but it's difficult not to and seems pointless knowingly parking it in a target zone. I'd much rather be in the S3 than the 10 year old Corsa with the tractor 1.3 Diesel engine :lmfao:

Cheers,

Matt :)

have left my S3 in various airport (and train station ) car parks for weeks at a time and its safer there than in most other places as they have CCTV and number plate recognition so easier to trace thieves and vandals so ultimately safer than Tescos car park

Only advise would be to not use the off site airport car parks where you have to leave your keys as you may not be covered by insurance as you willingly left your keys with someone else. Friend had his GTD stolen a couple of years back and was traced to keys being left in a car park office draw, his insurance refused to pay up

As above I have no issue leaving my car at a long stay car park in an airport but I wouldn't be leaving my keys with anybody.
The multi storey car park 3 is my preferred parking place at Birmingham. The bays are quite wide and it's 2 minutes walk from the terminal.

What about using taxi or public transport? That would cost, but you would save on the car park charges. And you could offset against the extra £150 to insure the Corsa.
Btw - that sounds a lot to add a name for a couple of weeks.
Or you could take your girlfriend with you and she could drive and save the £150. But then you would have to pay for another holiday for her of course !!

Reactions: richinsoton
I'd just pay for the onsite parking at Birmingham, it's modern and probably more safe than a town car park, just don't use the valet service.

Cars are precious to us all but they are a means on transport at the end of the day.

I don't do car parks with my car travelling to and from airports, we use the Mrs car with either the meet and greet or stay overnight at a hotel which allows free car parking in its grounds..

But if l where you l would just insure the Corsa and to hell with your vanity lol peace of mind on holiday is a must

Reactions: PanamaS3
Does your own insurance cover you to drive the corsa on a 3rd party basis, a lot of policies do. If not Is it any cheaper to temporarily cover the corsa on your own insurance?

Here's my best suggestion, the girlfriend drives you in her corsa, the S3 stays safe and you have a beer and enjoy the scenery.

Wouldn't hesitate to leave mine at the airport but would have employ some extreme parking methods simply to avoid door dings.
Last time I parked at Edinburgh, I got a good deal for booking in advance online for the "VIP" area. Limited spaces / not too busy etc. Was combined with an express check-in pass too so all good!

Reactions: davc, Reggieboy71 and Carl_S3
It's fine. Long stay airport carparks are among the most secure locations you can leave a car, and since most people are leaving a car there for a long time, theres little in the way of regular traffic around individual cars. Plus, owners tend to park properly, and load/and unload cases and people 'before' actually parking. My S3 is in an airport car park right now, where my wife tells me she has left it "between a really tragic yellow Lamborghini, and an equally tasteless four wheeled phallus from Porsche". Im sure it'll be just fine.

Just like any car park, you'll get the crowds of sheep/idle ********/morons who think they'll get there faster and burn less calories if they can park closest to the door/bus-stop/burger palace, and you'll find corners that are pretty much deserted where enthusiastic 'car people' park to avoid the careless oafs who care more for their next fast food hit than they do for other people's property.

Reactions: davc, PanamaS3 and Audi Bairn
Hi Guys,

Just curious how many of you leave your S3's/RS' at the airport? I am extremely nervous about leaving the S3 in the airport. I wouldn't use P&R like I normally do but park it and take the keys, but I'm still worried about vandals.

The other option I have is pay £150 or so to add me to the insurance on the girlfriends Corsa and take that on the trek to the airport. That way the S3 could stay in the garage. Unfortunately getting dropped off isn't an option, going to Birmingham airport so it's 100+ miles for us. We are looking for a second break flying from Gatwick, which is 180 miles away. I'd be leaving in plenty of time in the Corsa put it that way...

Silly question I know, but I thought one worth asking. I know it's silly to get so worried about using it, but it's difficult not to and seems pointless knowingly parking it in a target zone. I'd much rather be in the S3 than the 10 year old Corsa with the tractor 1.3 Diesel engine :lmfao:

Cheers,

Matt :)

Have you thought about a hire car? There will be large chain hire companies based at airport - just need to have a google which ones have offices around you for collection- would only need hire 1 day to drive there and 1 day to drive back?.... Be cheaper than £150 insurance on the Corsa? Just an idea!

Don't do it !
I couldn't possibly leave my S3 in a car park where someone could easily park next to your, dint the doors, have kids running round the cars, suitcases and bags been dragged around!!
Before i had the S3 i had a golf GTD & left with meet and greet.... Never again!! They curbed my wheel and refused to fix/pay
Had bad experiences at airports, if i was you use the corsa or get a train or taxi save the hassle mate!
Hope this helps :whistle2::footy:

I leave my S7 at London airports all the time.

Usually use Purple Parking and never had any issues.

Reactions: davc
My S3 is in an airport car park right now, where my wife tells me she has left it "between a really tragic yellow Lamborghini, and an equally tasteless four wheeled phallus from Porsche".

Can certainly empathise with that, mine more often than not looks like the poor relation of the car world when I leave it in Heathrow T5 short stay

Seriously guys it's a car, you can't wrap it up all the time. Airport car parks are safer than most. Most people wouldn't even know what an S3 over a tdi is.

Generally people are respectful in these places, chose a nice space and you should be ok. Enjoy the drive there and forget about it when on holiday.

Reactions: AllanG, Timi8888, Zak0123 and 4 others
Didn't even think twice about leaving the R32 there, was more interested in going on holiday than worrying about the car being parked there tbh. Came back and it was exactly how I'd left it.

I used to care years ago, but seeing the calibre of cars you see in airports/train stations nowadays an S3 might as well be a Corsa.

Harpenden train station for instance is always frequented by 911's, Aston Martins and Maserati's to name a few.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Jassyo06 and TYb
So we have got every possible answer now.
From 'don't do it!!'
...to 'definitely do it'. And everything inbetween.

Take your pick.

The one about driving the Corsa 3rd party on your own insurance is worth pursuing imo.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Let's keep things in perspective, an S3 is a mass produced small german hatchback which you can buy another of tomorrow morning.
If it was a low volume Porsche GT3 RS I might empathise..............
Park it at the airport, lock it, come back after your trip and unlock it.

I travel 40+ weeks a year so you will see my S3 in an airport car park A LOT. So far always been there when I have got back.

Never lose perspective that all cars are ultimately cars, just metal and plastic designed to move people around. Use them, scratch/break them, fix or replace them............simples.

Reactions: Zak0123, OST, SILVAF0XX and 3 others
So we have got every possible answer now.
From 'don't do it!!'
...to 'definitely do it'. And everything inbetween.

Take your pick.

The one about driving the Corsa 3rd party on your own insurance is worth pursuing imo.
Whilst you'll be legally covered just be mindful that if the worst happens and you have a prang the corsa won't be covered. I know it's value may be minimal but your girlfriend might cut your balls off....

Reactions: richinsoton, GSB, Tom.H and 1 other person
Iv been leaving my cars at all sorts of car parks around the world and never had any issues. Only car that someone attempted to break in to was a 306 tdi near a beach in Portugal unsupervised, parked in a field! Your leaving a car in a secure car park operated by a business who cares about their reputation, i really dont think that they will let anything happen to it. At very worst a ding might happen but id say its rare. Mine has just been in Bologna airport for a week whilst i went to the middle east, got back and she's fine....I even left them the key!! I would say i might trust a secure private company off site more than a unsupervised car park at the airport. At least it has 24hr supervision and like i mentioned before, it is a company that will rely on customer ratings. Also, the parking bays at the onsite airport parking seem a little small sometimes whereas the private ones, in my experience, are more generous, Take a photo of the mileage to protect yourself though.

I know mine isn't an S3, but its still my pride and joy! Picture here of my recent off site parking experience. loads of room, 25euros for a weeks parking at Bologna Airport. Bristol airport onsite parking is the opposite, super tight, hence why someones its better to go off site.

WhatsApp Image 2017 06 05 at 152650

Last edited:
Reactions: RAF_S7, Djs3saloon and Audi Bairn
Whilst you'll be legally covered just be mindful that if the worst happens and you have a prang the corsa won't be covered. I know it's value may be minimal but your girlfriend might cut your balls off....
Or make sure it's the other guy's fault! But you would need the claim from their insurance company.

Mine spends a fair bit of time parked up either in Edinburgh or Glasgow airport offsite secure parking when I'm working away. I always use ones where you keep your keys.

Never had any problems touch wood and don't stress about something happening to it.

Life's too short to worry about such trivia.

Left my s4 at hotel near gatwick .no trees .so I thought great..........on my return they had moved it it looked like a hedgehog on my return even the 2.5 hr drive home didn't shift it ! Not a happy bunny add the rock paint damage and chipped windscreen.. ...wish I'd taken the misses A3 . Only clocked up 1800miles so far too

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

@audi Nutts
Get a taxi mate don't do it
AndyF Team Lava

Mine has returned from Gatwick. Unmarked, untouched and none the worse for wear.

Try to relax a bit people, just like any car park, you have to use common sense. Don't park next to people carriers, cars with child seats, cars with the drivers seat ridiculously close to the steering wheel, cars with shagged alloys, cars with dents, or cars that look knackered and worn out and you'll be fine.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and TYb
Mine has returned from Gatwick. Unmarked, untouched and none the worse for wear.

Try to relax a bit people, just like any car park, you have to use common sense. Don't park next to people carriers, cars with child seats, cars with the drivers seat ridiculously close to the steering wheel, cars with shagged alloys, cars with dents, or cars that look knackered and worn out and you'll be fine.

Hey, my car has a child seat in it lol

I get what you're saying though, I have the child lock on his door even though he is of an age where he knows not to touch it. I'll then get out, open and hold the door until he's out. I always look for 2 'nice' cars to park in between though in the hope they look after them like I look after mine.

NOT a long list then and you missed parking in two spaces lol.
AndyF Team Lava

Just about anywhere then :whistle2:

I used to park at the airport long stay, but got fed up waiting for the shuttle buses and lugging suitcases on and off and then on one occasion got a minor dent in the driver's door. Wife suggested using a local taxi driver she knows and we have used him ever since. As regular customers, we get a very good service from him and it's absolutely door to door. If the roads around Heathrow are congested he also knows alternative routes to miss the traffic. For Heathrow, he charges roughly twice the cost of long stay parking, so yes it is a bit pricey, but for the lack of hassle and reliability of the service it's money well spent. I tend to get a bit worked up when departing on holiday, so doing without the worry of parking the car and schlepping on the shuttle bus is welcome.

Could you not go down the night before and stay in a hotel where they have holiday parking and a big car park .
If we fly from Manchester we stay in the Marriot and I get to park in the field behind the hotel or get to pick my space although its not necessary in the hols parking bit .And I take the keys with me , wont leave them as stayed in Radisson years ago and they did 40 miles in it , was flaming mad went complained but its the distance to their parking so they said , think they used it as a taxi .

Get one of these

Reactions: GSB and Djs3saloon
Hey, my car has a child seat in it lol

I get what you're saying though, I have the child lock on his door even though he is of an age where he knows not to touch it. I'll then get out, open and hold the door until he's out. I always look for 2 'nice' cars to park in between though in the hope they look after them like I look after mine.
It wasn't actually the kids I was referring too, yes, they can and do fling doors open until adequately trained, but more often it's the parents who are more careless with doors than the kids. Some people genuinely think it's ok to open the door so it's just touching the next car, so they then have the maximum amount of space to repeatedly buttslam the door into the side of a neighbouring vehicle whilst they strap their precious mouth breathing, screaming, beligerant, flat flooted, semi literate, genetically deranged, chromosome deficient, oxygen thieving spawn into a mothercare restraint buried in a sea of half eaten smarties and McDonald's wrappers.

Admittedly, this is an extreme example, and not something a "car" person would do, but I found exactly this happening when I returned to a hotel car park to find some troglodyte doing exactly this to my car.

NOT a long list then and you missed parking in two spaces lol.
AndyF Team Lava
I often use my Clio for such trips, a car so visually benign that a few dents actually improve its aesthetics. If I find such an obvious "my car / journey / family is more precious than yours, so I'm going to hog two spaces and the rest of you can go elsewhere" double space abuser, its often the highlight of my day to see if I can get my passenger side within a micron or twos distance of the offenders drivers door. If I can close the distance to a point where the space between the cars sees direct sun for less than a minute a day I'll consider it a win. It's petty, but I find the sense of self importance and self entitlement that these people have extraordinarily offensive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Supa Koopa, Flying Scotsman and Djs3saloon
issue is purple parking for heathrow is ****** miles away and takes ages

I usually use their valet parking, so they take the car at the terminal, and it's waiting for you on return. Costs a bit more, but it's worth it as it's hassle free. If your self Parking and getting the shuttle bus, l agree it's a real pain. I usually end up with one of the onsite operators if I'm doing it that way. :racer:

If travelling as a group or family, split your tasks.
When my wife and I travel, I'll drop her at the departures door with the cases to save dragging them across a car park and hauling them into a bus. I park the car and get the bus sans bags, and she'll put the bags through the automated bag drop, or wait for me to arrive so we can check in the old fashioned way.

When returning, one of us will wait for the bags at baggage reclaim and then sort out the purchase of obligatory pint of milk and a paper from the shop in the arrivals hall, whilst the other takes the hand luggage on the bus to get the car. Travelling on the bus is much less of a chore when you're not dragging 60kg of bags with you.

Reactions: Tom.H, richinsoton, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
I just use the Valet parking, would rather leave the car at the airport than at home with an empty house

Leave my S3 at an airport? Just no way, I try to avoid leaving my car in any car park. It's never been in a supermarket car park.
You dont know who's parking next to it etc etc. Bird crap on it for several weeks, oh no just add yourself on the Corsa be a lot less worry.