Facelift iPod shuffle

Tom.H

Reaction score
I've tried the search with no luck, the iPod shuffle doesn't seem to be picked up through either of the USB sockets in the car, would I be right in saying it doesn't work? :pensive:

I've not got an iPod Shuffle, but I've got a 2nd gen iPod Touch (around 6+ years old) that I've managed to hook up to my S3 using USB. I originally didn't think it was going to work as it took a good 10 minutes to connect up, don't know whether it was just syncing or what.

Only slight issue I've had is sometimes it just says connecting for ages but usually when I start the car when it usually starts playing instantly, fairly simple fix with just unplugging the USB and replugging.

Reactions: Peter1201 and Tom.H
I've not got an iPod Shuffle, but I've got a 2nd gen iPod Touch (around 6+ years old) that I've managed to hook up to my S3 using USB. I originally didn't think it was going to work as it took a good 10 minutes to connect up, don't know whether it was just syncing or what.

Only slight issue I've had is sometimes it just says connecting for ages but usually when I start the car when it usually starts playing instantly, fairly simple fix with just unplugging the USB and replugging.

I've spotted an AUX in as well so have to try that when I get a cable.

Should work using the aux port in the centre armrest. I've got my old iPod classic plugged in there (using the white Apple cable) and it works well.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Tom.H
+1 on the SD card I have 128Gb one for music and a 64Gb one for videos.

Or perfect Father's day present the latest gen shuffle/ipod.

Reactions: Jassyo06
+1 on the SD card I have 128Gb one for music and a 64Gb one for videos.

Or perfect Father's day present the latest gen shuffle/ipod.

lol I've only had it maybe a year if that, just thought as I've got it I might as well make use rather than getting an SD card, maybe wait until the iPod is full then go for the SD card. Just have to get an aux lead to try it now.

Reactions: Rob2k68
Another thought, you may struggle to get the Album artwork with the Ipod. Bit nerdy I know but I need to see the artwork!

I'll be surprised if an aux lead will allow you to change tracks, pause etc through the steering wheel controls. SD Card.... you know it makes sense :yes:

Another thought, you may struggle to get the Album artwork with the Ipod. Bit nerdy I know but I need to see the artwork!

I'll be surprised if an aux lead will allow you to change tracks, pause etc through the steering wheel controls. SD Card.... you know it makes sense :yes:

I'll give the aux lead a go first, failing that I'll go with the SD card :sunglasses: I tend to keep the phone fairly free of music, save the space for pics etc.

You're right about the wheel controls so I may have to return it, it's a pita keep changing it on the iPod! I take it with an SD card you can use the steering wheel controls?

You're right about the wheel controls so I may have to return it, it's a pita keep changing it on the iPod! I take it with an SD card you can use the steering wheel controls?

Yep S/W works perfect it scrolls through album art faster, has better search functionality and starts where you left off - compared to my iPod classic.

Reactions: Jassyo06, Audi Bairn and Tom.H
Yep S/W works perfect it scrolls through album art faster, has better search functionality and starts where you left off - compared to my iPod classic.

Cool, cheers Rob. Looks like I'll be returning the lead and getting a card then, thought I'd give it a go as I've got the iPod already just sitting there.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Rob2k68
Cool, cheers Rob. Looks like I'll be returning the lead and getting a card then, thought I'd give it a go as I've got the iPod already just sitting there.

Yeah nothing ventured nothing gained matey. Shuffle would probably be quicker than my old classic as it’s solid state rather than HDD.

Sandisc Ultra cards go for around £40 for 128Gb or £20 for 64Gb so pretty good value now.

Reactions: Jassyo06, glospete and Tom.H
^^ Good advice, don't go cheap on the SD card. Cheap cards may have equivalent capacity but the access rate is slower which in extreme cases could cause music drop outs. Go for a class 10 card.

I convert music into variable rate WMA files. Its a good compromise between music quality and file size.

Reactions: Jassyo06, Audi Bairn and Rob2k68
^^ Good advice, don't go cheap on the SD card. Cheap cards may have equivalent capacity but the access rate is slower which in extreme cases could cause music drop outs. Go for a class 10 card.

I convert music into variable rate WMA files. Its a good compromise between music quality and file size.

I only ever tend to get sandisk class 10 cards, think that's what I've got in the GoPro, DSLR and tom tom :grinning:

Reactions: Jassyo06, Audi Bairn, Chris43 and 1 other person
Should work using the aux port in the centre armrest. I've got my old iPod classic plugged in there (using the white Apple cable) and it works well.

+1
Same as mine.
It works, but bugs me that sometimes it picks up from the track it was at when the car was switched off and sometimes it starts all the way back at the first artist alphabetically. Also when it finishes an album when driving it also goes back to the first one rather than next on the list. Not saying that's because of the cable set up though.

Reactions: Jassyo06

With my iPod Classic via the aux lead, I get the artwork and can use the steering wheel control perfectly fine. Would the shuffle be different?

........and starts where you left off - compared to my iPod classic.

At last Rob, someone who's acknowledged the problem I referred to in my penultimate post above.
Is that issue exclusively related to the set up I'm running then?

PS sorry for hijacking your thread @Tom.H

At last Rob, someone who's acknowledged the problem I referred to in my penultimate post above.
Is that issue exclusively related to the set up I'm running then?

PS sorry for hijacking your thread @Tom.H

Yeah I think so mate need to test as it seems to do it randomly but I suspect that removing an SD card somehow resets all media - I find it really annoying especially when my first track is Ace of Base !!!!

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Ya know... the sound system in the S3 confuses the hell out of me. I usually run the phone via Apple Car play, which I find easy to use. However, it is a pain to keep plugging and unplugging it in every time and sometimes, the crappy lead that Audi have supplied, pops out and I have to try and get in back in again whilst driving one handed and not looking. That aside, you then have the Bluetooth option... wtf is that. It's so backwards it's unreal, I switch to a song with the wheel on the centre console and click it down to accept... it doesn't accept... so have to use the steering controls. grrr... stoopid Audi lol (note, it's probably me) Sorry for the thread Hi-jack @Tom.H

Reactions: Rob2k68, Audi Bairn and Tom.H
Haha no trouble fellas, feel free.

So to update, the AUX lead has been returned and there's now a 64gb SD card in the car which works with the steering wheel controls and shows artwork - even on the songs that may have been obtained via YouTube to MP3 :whistle2:

Reactions: Rob2k68, azibux1, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
I switch to a song with the wheel on the centre console and click it down to accept... it doesn't accept... so have to use the steering controls. grrr... stoopid Audi lol (note, it's probably me)

I get that too, or you select one track and it chooses a completely different one, plus the sound quality isn't as good via Bluetooth.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Mark_86
I get that too, or you select one track and it chooses a completely different one, plus the sound quality isn't as good via Bluetooth.

I know... what is that all about. Must be a German thing...

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Tom.H
Do the tech versions of the A3 have more steering wheel controls? I only have the volume control and the programmable * button (which I have programmed to next track)
I can't scroll and select (I don't think). Or does the wheel on the left side of the steering wheel do that? I've never actually looked, and will do, now that folks suggest scrolling and selecting on the steering wheel.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Audi Bairn
Do the tech versions of the A3 have more steering wheel controls? I only have the volume control and the programmable * button (which I have programmed to next track)
I can't scroll and select (I don't think). Or does the wheel on the left side of the steering wheel do that? I've never actually looked, and will do, now that folks suggest scrolling and selecting on the steering wheel.

I've got Tech Advanced and steering wheel allows scrolling, fast fwd, rewind, next / last track as well as volume all on right hand side.

Mines PFL but if you use the menu button (square icon looks like a page) to toggle through the 'pages' stop at media then you can use the arrow or scroll wheel to select tracks can't remember which one it is.