1.9 tdi pd torsion value/cam timing

Diddles87

Reaction score
Hi, I have a Audi A4 B7 1.9 tdi, it's runs a bit rough and has vibration/resonance when revving and accelerating and at idle, almost sounds and feels like an engine mount has gone.
I've replaced both engine mounts, snub mount and gearbox mount and it's still the same. It's quite loud in the cabin and not as smooth as a 1.9tdi lump should be and not very enjoyable to drive. (comparing it to my golf mk4 1.9)

My girlfriends brother did the timing belt last year and it's run a bit rough for as long as I can remember. He did it without using the locking tools. I have checked the torsion value in vcds and it's in spec at 0.5. Still getiting 50mpg+ on a run.

Can the timing still be off even though the torsion value is in spec?

I've brought the locking tools and want to strip it down just to double check to see it's my issues are being caused by the timing being slightly off.

Would I be wasting my time or is it worth doing, thanks a lot.

If the torsion value is showing 0.5 and you are getting 50mpg and it otherwise runs OK then the cam timing will be OK.
Have you checked the one way clutch on the alternator. When these fail they can make the engine sound like the big ends have gone when it's idling.
If you have access to VCDS check the injector balance block 13 and see if all the injectors are in spec.
https://sites.google.com/site/1810martin/vcds-and-pd-tdi-engine-health-check
Cam problems due to use of incorrect oil or extended oil change intervals can also cause issues like you have.
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/camshaft-lobe-wear-inspection-and-replacement-on-tdi-pd-engine/

Thanks for the reply. I've replaced the alternator pulley as it was screeching.

When I remove the air intake pipe off the airbox when the car is running it is quite loud, which apparently can indicate camshaft wear?

So I guess as long as the torsion value is ok the timing is going to be ok, as the 3 13mm bolts in the camshaft pulley are pretty much at the end of there travel.

All the injectors are in spec aswell, 0.15 0.35 0.11 0.40.

I did take off the cam cover to have a quick look at the camshaft and lifters and seem to be ok, couldn't see too well, might have to have another look. Car has done 103,000 miles.