Is BP ultimate diesel worth it?

scoss

Reaction score
Thoughts on this? I've just put a tank in to see for myself. I don't know if having my car remapped makes any difference too to performance.

Only used BP once in 11 years of driving, and it was Ultimate. Never again. Burned through so quickly. I stick to Shell.

Reactions: RSS-S3 and alistairm1
I dont think it adds any performance to the car, as far as i know it mainly contains cleaning treatment for the injectors??

I am not aware of different performance grades of diesel like in petrol eg 95/97/98/99 ron

They don't disclose the diesel cetane number .

Use 2 Stroke oil to improve the cetane number and add extra lubricity , dispersant and detergents .

I used shell ultimate diesel and did not notice anything, no increased economy or speed. As above I think it's just a cleaner fuel for the fuel system

This is an old video but interesting all the same. Testing done at R-tech. Make your own mind up

Reactions: Ormesome
I try my best to use Shell Diesel V-Power or whatever its called. When I'm in the UK it is mostly for piece of mind but also because their points system is very good. The extra few pence is always given back in money off vouchers or Avios so it works out close to the cheapest diesel per litre. In Europe i used to just go for cheapo Repsol or whatever but i had problems in a MK6 Golf i had so ever since iv stuck to premium diesel and had no problems. It might have been just a bad litre/batch i got and was unlucky but diesel is so much cheaper on the Continent that it really doesn't matter if you use premium. Iv never been a fan of BP in petrol or diesel form. Not sure why but I'm sure F1 and marketing has made me gravitate to Shell! Also, BP's marketing strategy is about mpg which seems boring! Shell's marketing is abut bhp which is waaaaaaay more exciting!!

Reactions: richinsoton
I used to use BP ultimate diesel in my old 1.9 PD TDI. Completely unscientific but the engine seemed to run better and exhaust was less smoky when compared to cheap diesel (car was especially smoky when used with French supermarket fuel).

Reactions: richinsoton and Ormesome
I know last month when I had my stage 1 the mechanic said that v power makes a difference to petrol engines. I'd be interested to see if I get more miles per tank.

I used BP Ultimate Diesel for quite some time, then tried regular Diesel for a month and noticed no power difference at all. As noted above, it may well help the engine efficiency a bit, but I don't see the point in the extra expense any more. I'd probably stick with using BP Ulitmate if the premium was 2p extra....unfortunately it isn't!

I used shell ultimate diesel and did not notice anything, no increased economy or speed. As above I think it's just a cleaner fuel for the fuel system
It takes time to work into the system, I run Vpower in my S3 and always used vpower diesel in my tuned octavia vrs and believe me, economy does differ between the two.

It takes time to work into the system, I run Vpower in my S3 and always used vpower diesel in my tuned octavia vrs and believe me, economy does differ between the two.

This is something which I'm keeping an eye on. Performance yes, but how many miles per tank is also a factor.

I easily got another 30miles out of a tank of extra bang derv!