S4 avant v Golf R estate - review

Thanks for posting that @Chiefbadger , makes me feel more assured that I made the right decision at this moment in time. Great review/feedback! It does indeed sound like a lot of car for the money on these random cheap lease deals that come out from time to time. That RS5 though!!!!

Do you still use some form of Child Seat for your children? If so, and assuming the seats use the Seat Belt across the child, how is getting the seat belt in to the buckle/socket bit? My current A180 5 door is a nightmare as the seat overhangs the seat belt socket bit, so I have to haul the seat towards me to free up space to get the seat belt to latch in. My daughter hears a few choice words on those rushing to get her to school cos I'm late days!!

Are you running it on 98 RON fuel? Ever tried it on 95 to see if much difference??

Cheers
Future R Estate Owner!!

I’m sure you’ll enjoy it Gary. Hard to think of anything that could get close for the money.

I have 2 car seats in the back (my boys are 3 and 5). The eldest can do his own now which is great, and I’ve never had an issue with the seat belts.

I’ve only ever run it on 98 (which is recommended) but tbh it’s no real hardship as the mpg is pretty impressive. It will get close to 40mpg on a decent run at normal speeds. I never got more than 34 from the S4 and that was driving like a saint over about 100 miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: GaryP
Yes - nearly as mind-blowing as a stage 2 B8 S5 :)

It actually felt very similar in terms of outright punch. Also has a fairly flat torque curve so behaves in a similar way. I’m pretty sure that with a tune it would be a complete beast. Where it feels very different to the stage 2 b8 is at the top end where you can feel it’s been wound back.

I’ve had my Golf R estate now for a few months and I would echo chief badgers view that it is devastatingly competent. Fuel can be a pig in stop start traffic (but then we don’t buy them for fuel economy!, although I have had almost 40mpg on a run). My main gripe if I’m honest is the ride, my second hand one came with 19” tyres but no adaptive dampers (none of the ones with 18” that I could find at the time had any options on), and whilst the ride is good on smooth surfaces, you feel it on poor ones quite significantly. I’m actually looking at swapping out my 19” for some 18” Cadiz as per standard to help things out. The other option is that I might have looked at a cupra st as they come with adaptive dampers as std....

Reactions: GaryP
Thanks for all these posts. I'm currently weighing up both cars to buy using HP/loan. Interesting to see you guys are leasing them too - any recommendations for leasing companies?

t times its a funny old world, my daughter bought a new Leon Cupra a few weeks ago and I have been looking around for some 18" alloys for her to use in winter time to replace the standard 19" alloys, seems like there are more 19" Leon alloys for sale than 18" - for the obvious reasons, now that is a pity, so it looks like the aftermarket is the only option for a set of black 18" alloys for a 5F Leon!