will 350bhp s3 keep up with sti scoobi?

edward_harris

s3 gone now a shiney red evo 6
Reaction score
due to get 350bhp in my s3, but does anyone know if this would keep up with something like a STi or something like a BMW M3? or maybe even a RS4?

I'd say,

Scooby - yes, and probably leave him
M3 - maybe just stay with
RS4 (new) - doubt it though you wouldn't be far behind.

Getting excited by any chance? ;)

It would really depend on the suspension, brakes, chassis set-up, and driver ball size. Simply adding power doesn't always give you a faster car.

what work are you having done to your car. if all them cars are standard i,d say beat them or keep up with them either way it will be good fun trying.

cost £4000 but im having a clutch + new cat so its costing £5400, but a few of my mates have rx7s scoobis m3s etc. just off the lights i wana no how ill do!!??

edward_harris said:
cost £4000 but im having a clutch + new cat so its costing £5400, but a few of my mates have rx7s scoobis m3s etc. just off the lights i wana no how ill do!!??

I think the S3's weight and crap gearing doesn't help it off the line, even with 350BHP, but on the move, it should show it's true power!
Against a Scooby STI which can dump all it's power to the turf with a sidestep of a clutch, I think you'll have no chance upto 60, but after that with 350BHP you should make good progress. :racer:

ok thanks! any idea on the rx? has anyone got a s3 running at this power and how much faster are they than standard?!:thumbsup:

350 bhp would kill a STI, i had a meeting with one and got the edge on it, neck and neck performance. thats with a revo remap

Should be right up there with all them (not sure on the New RS4) My Astra has round 350bhp and i have been beaten on the motorway yet. But it is about 950kgs So good power to weight.

Craig

I think the answer to the original question is not necessarily dependant on peak power. My chipped S3 managed to keep up with (but no where near faster than) Glen's C4S, but that was down to very tight twisty roads, good low end torque in the S3, and a good chassis and suspension set-up. As soon as the road straightened up I didn't stand a chance.

The ability of an S3 to keep up with an STi, M3 or RS4 in any corners would depend more on suspension and the roads you're driving on rather than outright power. S3's a good on tight twisty stuff, but you need to look at the suspension, ARBs, polybushes, geometry, and possibly the haldex controller to make it a more equal fight.

On a straight, the S3 won't get going as quick as the rest but would probably take the scooby from 40-100mph. You'd be neck and neck with the M3 till you got to silly speeds (120mph+) then the M3 would pull away. RS4 - forget it. You will also be changing gear a lot more than anyone else.

I run mine at 0.9bar when i'm just running around town. It should give me about 240bhp and that's dire compared to the full boost shove. Much faster.

One thing, 350bhp is a little on the high side for some of the internals. Most respectable tuners (AMD, MTM, Sportec, Star, etc) keep the levels down to 330bhp for piece of mind. Don't be surprised if yours is making that when you get it.

Unless you have uprated the chassis and brakes to match, you will get murdered by them all on a twisty road...maybe not so much the STI, but the M3 and RS4 are in a whole different league.

Let's face it, the S3 is a slug as standard...you can make it a fast slug...but it'll take a lot of work to get the car anywhere close to the M3 or RS4 in the chassis department.
Without that work done...as soon as the road gets twisty, you'll struggle to keep up.

RS4 is a very heavy car though, specially the avants....!! Can keep up with them in a very modest powered lighter car on a trackday, even the tuned ones!

get some weight of the S3 is the real key i reckon! Shame to bin all that lovely leather though!! lol!

Most STIs will have remaps and be prodcuing a good 300hp, (maybe more) so I'd watch out.

of course though, if you want a mental rally car........buy a mental rally car!! I think your S3 with the IHi will be a beasty and surpise a few people out and about..........they will always be something out there a bit quicker though..........not much, but something!!!

Not sure on the M3 performance, i've never been blown away with the ones I have driven......maybe deceptively fast and seem fast on paper, but I'd think a genuine 350hp s3 would do very very well against a stock M3 at what 330hp? Heavier car.........? Dunno, you'll have to get it done then tell us, Edward!!

Have to say if your £4k for the IHI kit includes VAT, that is very good indeed price wise.....! Hope it does what you expect!

yeah price does include vat! im just worried about straight line really, not so much the twisty roads! just like the fact that when you pull up at the lights against something like a sti they look at it and say it's only a s3 it has no chance! untill now!! :laugh:

On a tight twisty road there will only be one winner, thats the scoob! i am not a fan but having owned a STI-8 PPP thats where with its advanced active diffs, sets itself apart from the rest they are not built as straight liners!! but they can in the right hands say bye bye in the twisties to a S3 RS4 OR A M3!!.
But if its traffic light racing u will stand every chance of scooby bashing!!

Yeah i love the way a scoobarooo can be driven by a complete ham fisted idiot and not fall off the road, but if you get some1 who can really rag it they corner amazingly.

Evo VII is a different scale of car again tho

None whatsoever, lol

And on the twisties, none whatsoever.

The only consolation is they are horrible inside, and i mean horrible even scoobies have a nicer interior

what sort of time do they hit 60 in then? ive looked at a few and they have around 300bhp, unless i meet a mental ont running 400bhp, whats a standard?!

Running the standard 300bhp its about 4.7 secs iirc. Very much doubt you'll come across a completely standard one tho. They're just so brutal, i love them lol

On the road there really wont be a huge difference in performance between STI EVO M3 RS4 etc. You need to have a BIG power/weight advantage over a car to make a noticeable on the asphalt.

I've driven a 400bhp S3. **** loads of lag then seeeee ya later. I have a S3 with map, exhaust, and a few other bits done. ****** all other mine in a straight drag (as long as rev's are up) turbo doesn't kick in until 4000rpm. Does keep pulling well past 8000 though.