Facelift RHD cars and start/stop engine button

Rideen

Reaction score
So I just noticed that Audi couldn't bother to put the button on the PROPER side for RHD cars.

Mine is LHD but I was wondering, do you guys with RHD cars find the position of the button odd?

Are there any aftermarket solutions for it, as it would drive me mad if my car had the button on passenger side.

Reactions: Kris Musundi
I'm in Oz, and did a left hand drive conversion so that I could press the button.
.. ok.. I didn't.
Yes it is weird, but not a big deal. Same with drive select being the furthest away.. although it can be moved.
Start/Stop is pretty easy to press.

I'm in Oz, and did a left hand drive conversion so that I could press the button.
.. ok.. I didn't.
Yes it is weird, but not a big deal. Same with drive select being the furthest away.. although it can be moved.
Start/Stop is pretty easy to press.

I have a RHD car and it doesn't bother me where the start/stop button is. It doesn't seem to be in the wrong place but possibly it might be easier if the MMI volume knob and start/stop button where switched round so that the more often used MMI volume knob was slightly more convenient to find whilst driving.

The drive select button is nearest to the driver on my car. Is it different in Oz?

IMG 1664
IMG 1663

Reactions: AllStar and Audi Bairn
In countries that drive on the right the start stop button is on the passenger side of the car. That's what's wierd. And lazy from Audi.

Reactions: Kris Musundi
In countries that drive on the right the start stop button is on the passenger side of the car. That's what's wierd. And lazy from Audi.

Yes but it's either the start/stop button or the MMI volume knob that would be to the left of the midline so what difference does it make?

It's the right way round in my mind. I use the volume control more than I use the start/stop button, makes sense to have it closer. I don't want to accidentally hit the start/stop button while driving so better that it's further away.

Reactions: AllStar, well_cool and richinsoton
The drive select button is nearest to the driver on my car. Is it different in Oz?

Yup... they don't even swap that over for us. Hence why most map the steering wheel button to drive select... bit of a reach.

Reactions: AllStar
I assumed the volume control was there so the passenger could adjust it, hence on the wrong side for us in UK as well, the driver can adjust the volume using the steering wheel controls. Can't say I ever use the volume control knob by the gearstick, always the steering wheel control.

Maybe it's another quirk of being identified as a 'hot country' by Audi, and getting slightly less kW too.

The one that really grinds my gears is LHD wipers on RHD cars, so you end up with a large area of unswept screen on the drivers side Grrr!!

bmw-e39-5-series-96-04-520i-sport-S2991322-1.jpg

Or

AETV89800082_1e.jpg

I can live with the stop / start being on the other side (even with kids in the passenger seat) but trying to write left handed on the MMI sensor is a real pain.

Reactions: AllStar and glospete
I can live with the stop / start being on the other side (even with kids in the passenger seat) but trying to write left handed on the MMI sensor is a real pain.

Yes I can imagine that is annoying. You could use voice control instead? I'm left-handed so it's ideal!

Reactions: AllStar and richinsoton
I have the start/stop button on mine & don't have any problem with it being where it is. What ****** me off more is we don't get an alloy clutch rest pedal like the L.H.D cars have.

Reactions: AllStar