Facelift Glitchy (*) steering wheel button

AudiQ8

It's hot here
Reaction score
I have my programmable steering wheel button (*) set to cycle the drive select modes.

It seems to glitch maybe 1 out of 5 times I get in the car by just not working.

It's not defaulting to doing anything elss, it simply doesn't work.

Anyone else encounter a similar problem?

Attachments

• IMG_8529.JPG
    IMG_8529.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 588
Reactions: RK10
Yeah, it's a known problem and no fix from Audi yet. There is another thread discussing this already I think. It seems a bit hit and miss as to when it decides to not work aswell... very strange.

Yup unfortunately mine does the exact same thing. If you keep the button pressed in it brings up the menu to select what you want it to do and I just re-select the same option. This fixes it for a while, but it always comes back. Sorry if you already knew that. :)

Reactions: Pook and Audi Bairn
As above, this happens occasionally for me, though it does seem to be related to how quickly I try and use the button. I've noticed the sooner I try to use it after switching the car on, the more likely it is to "forget" what it's programmed to do.

I have a feeling it's related to how long it takes for the Drive Select subsystem to launch from a cold boot. If you try and use the dedicated drive-select button on the centre dashboard too soon, the MMI reports that drive select is still starting up, I guess the steering wheel button doesn't generate the error/warning, but instead simply fails to execute a scripted command, and defaults back to unset.

Reactions: SILVAF0XX
As above, this happens occasionally for me, though it does seem to be related to how quickly I try and use the button. I've noticed the sooner I try to use it after switching the car on, the more likely it is to "forget" what it's programmed to do.

I have a feeling it's related to how long it takes for the Drive Select subsystem to launch from a cold boot. If you try and use the dedicated drive-select button on the centre dashboard too soon, the MMI reports that drive select is still starting up, I guess the steering wheel button doesn't generate the error/warning, but instead simply fails to execute a scripted command, and defaults back to unset.
Sometimes it will update the mode and you can see that in the VC screen but there is a lag on MMI pop up screen.

At times my nav and media can take minutes before it's up and running. The systems are so glitchy at times, like I said in another thread it's making me question if I'll stay with Audi.

Reactions: SILVAF0XX, glospete and Audi Bairn
Yeah, it's a known problem and no fix from Audi yet. There is another thread discussing this already I think. It seems a bit hit and miss as to when it decides to not work aswell... very strange.

Thanks Mark, I figured it might be a known problem. Was being lazy about searching for it. I guess its nice to know that it's not just me

Yup unfortunately mine does the exact same thing. If you keep the button pressed in it brings up the menu to select what you want it to do and I just re-select the same option. This fixes it for a while, but it always comes back. Sorry if you already knew that. :)

Hey Supa, I didn't know that if you press and hold it lets you assign the buttons task.

Thanks, I'm going to try that.

Reactions: Supa Koopa
Reactions: SILVAF0XX
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/steering-wheel-shortcut-button.315763/

There is a lag after turning the ignition but mine certainly only works intermittently even if I try to use it well into the journey.
One of a few shoddy issues with electrical / software related stuff I find frustrating, especially in a car of this value.
Agreed, it's really beginning to frustrate me. There are few things with the S3 which are really letting it down, I'm beginning to regret the switch from the TT.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Is this a F/L software issue or something not quite right with the button itself ?

There sure do seem to be a few MMI gremlins that shouldn’t really have made it into production.

Is this a F/L software issue or something not quite right with the button itself ?

There sure do seem to be a few MMI gremlins that shouldn’t really have made it into production.
I think it's software as I had the same issue in my TT prior to moving to the S3.

Too many niggles for what is supposed to be a premium product. Unless build quality improves I won't be staying with Audi past my existing deal.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Rob2k68
I think it's software as I had the same issue in my TT prior to moving to the S3.

Too many niggles for what is supposed to be a premium product. Unless build quality improves I won't be staying with Audi past my existing deal.

I agree. I'm no IT expert (far from it) but it seems to be software issues to me.
Of all the Audi's I or my wife have owned, this is the first time I've had any such issues.
I realise that I've also not had one with as much tech on it before too. But I hope it's only an issue with the A3/S3 and not a trend across the brand.
My wife has a TT and it has no such issues, like you say.

I agree. I'm no IT expert (far from it) but it seems to be software issues to me.
Of all the Audi's I or my wife have owned, this is the first time I've had any such issues.
I realise that I've also not had one with as much tech on it before too. But I hope it's only an issue with the A3/S3 and not a trend across the brand.
This is my 7th Audi, I loved them all, I love this s3 but the niggles are really beginning to irritate me, especially when it doesn't feel like Audi are doing much to rectify them.

My dealer is brilliant and have given me unbelievable deals over the years, I'm sure he can twist my arm again but the manufacturer is making it a more and more difficult decision.

Having said this I'm 5 months in what is prob a minimum 3 year term before it balances.

Reactions: SILVAF0XX, Tom.H and Audi Bairn
This is my 7th Audi, I loved them all, I love this s3 but the niggles are really beginning to irritate me, especially when it doesn't feel like Audi are doing much to rectify them.

My dealer is brilliant and have given me unbelievable deals over the years, I'm sure he can twist my arm again but the manufacturer is making it a more and more difficult decision.

Having said this I'm 5 months in what is prob a minimum 3 year term before it balances.

Similar to me mate http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/is-your-next-car-going-to-be-audi.333276/

Next gen A3/S3 should hopefully be even better!

Next gen A3/S3 should hopefully be even better!
Yeh no doubt it'll be better and I will change my mind weekly for the next 3 years.

Just so many small niggles are spiking what is a great car.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Tom.H
I have S3 with this fault from new when using it to switch drive select mode. Button replacements, bridge reset and last year’s software update made no difference. I have been in dispute with Audi dealer over this for 20 months. A software update was supposed to be rolled out in Q3 this year, but it hasn’t appeared. A communication I saw suggests that it’s a fundamental problem with some ECUs, but Audi Germany won’t authorise replacement of the ECU until the new software update has been tried, so dealer won’t be recompensed if they replace it. I’ve told Audi UK that I need Germany to get a projected date for the software and their view on how long they think it’s reasonable to wait for the software before replacing the ECU anyway. They’re talking about a “goodwill gesture” to recompense me for the inconvenience. I’ve pointed out that the inconvenience will continue as long as I have the vehicle (and maybe beyond if I try to sell it to someone who is aware of this fault). All of my discussions are with dealer and Audi UK “customer service” departments who are apologetic and keep saying they’ve “escalated” the issue to Germany and their hands are tied.

Is it really a Big Deal (mine does it now and then) as you only need hold the * button down to reselect what it does?

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: josul
Is it really a Big Deal (mine does it now and then) as you only need hold the * button down to reselect what it does?

Mine doesnt forget what it is set to do, it just doesnt work. Been like this from new so just over two years, I just reach out and use the drive select button on the dash - not a big deal at all.

This button for me moves to the next song on my SD card/USB, I would be really ****** off if it didn't work. It would be a HUGE deal.

This button for me moves to the next song on my SD card/USB, I would be really ****** off if it didn't work. It would be a HUGE deal.
Doesn't the skip button work for this next to the volume button on the steering wheel?

Doesn't the skip button work for this next to the volume button on the steering wheel?

He's a pre-facelift peasant and doesn't have the forward and back buttons on his steering wheel - it's not his fault I'm afraid :whistle2::boxing:

On topic: mine also resets sometimes, I have just learned to live with it

Upload 2018 10 4 15 48 28

Reactions: Jimbob76
@Lehn LOL

Least mine says S3 on it haha ....

didn't know the facelift had a dedicated button though, not sure what I would use the * for though otherwise so I probably wouldn't be annoyed with it .. :)

Reactions: Jimbob76
Same happens with my 2018 Q5 - * button just does not bring up drive select at times....so appears to be affecting more than just A3/S3 and Q8 as per OP

TX.

not a big deal at all, just a glitchy annoyance - I just reach for the drive select button on the central console when it fails to work (didn't know about the holding * in)

What instead of turning the dial for next song?!

TX.

He's a pre-facelift peasant and doesn't have the forward and back buttons on his steering wheel - it's not his fault I'm afraid :whistle2::boxing:

On topic: mine also resets sometimes, I have just learned to live with it

View attachment 166987

Notice the wheel says s3 on it and there’s alloy foot rest pedal. On my facelift it has S and a rubber footrest.
Sorry back on topic mine is temperamental works some days and not others.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and NevMan
I want that shiny footrest :wink:
Anyone have the part number?
I have read on here that you cannot get them from Audi for right hand drive cars but you can get cheap knock offs from ebay and Aliexpress etc.

TX.

Mine doesnt forget what it is set to do, it just doesnt work. Been like this from new so just over two years, I just reach out and use the drive select button on the dash - not a big deal at all.

It’s not a massive thing, you’re correct.
But when I pay for this value of car I expect things to work properly.

Reactions: Jonny B and TYb
Hi All,

So since my previous post I've been awaiting the software update promised last year. Car was serviced earlier this week and when I collected it they told me that the latest software was released on 8th January and they've installed it. So far the fault's not occurred, so fingers crossed - I'll post again after a few weeks if it's still OK (and obviously sooner if it's not). Only taken two years to get it sorted.

If the display screen isn't up the drive select mode still doesn't show up briefly in the instrument binnacle, which I'm sure it did on my A3 S-line 2.0 TFSI with the same MMI system (and the S3 driver manual states that it should).

Bizarrely you can set the programmable steering wheel button to switch the satnav map display between "day and "night" modes, and that information does show up in the instrument cluster, presumably for all those who find it necessary to change the map display mode but just can't bring themselves to look at the map....