audi a3 8p clutch life?

s1mon02

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got an Audi a3 8p 2011 at 64k miles and the clutch plate has failed and also caused damage to the gearbox casing

its under warranty but they are trying to get out of paying by saying it is general wear and tear, now im no mechanic but general wear and tear at 64k miles??

does anyone know the official audi clutch lifespan

any advise would be brilliant thanks

Clutches are an area that they try to wriggle out of as there are so many factors that influence how long they last. My son had a Golf 7R last year and the clutch started slipping after only 7000 miles. They wanted several hundred pounds up front to cover the labour of stripping it down and rebuilding. If there had been a genuine fault with the pressure plate etc his cash would have been refunded. On my Mk 4 Golf the original clutch started to judder after 25,000 miles. I had to pay for the replacement and fingers crossed it is still OK 90000 miles later including over 40000 miles at stage 1 remap.
However, in your case you say that the gearbox casing has been damaged. That does not sound like wear and tear and so that is the avenue I would be pursuing.

yeah the garage have got someone from the warranty company coming out to inspect the damage that has been caused and like you say causing the gearbox damage does not sound like wear and tear to me

regards

You can ruin a clutch in 20 seconds or it could last 200,000 miles, there's no real life span or mileage expectation with that sort of part it all depends on what sort of life its had.

If you've had the car less than a year I would just keep moaning until they just give in and repair it.

My old VXR clutch went in the first year of ownership and it was a used one. Clutch had done about 20k and I just said it ain't fit for purpose so unless you can prove I drive like Lewis Hamilton your fixing it and I am not paying for it. If they say no just bitch and whine until they get sick of you. 9 times out of 10 they just do it

At the moment my wifes VW camper the warranty has just ran out and its got a couple problems. After a couple calls they realized it was me and they have just caved in.

Probably thought its that annoying Mr Thompson again. Just do it so he go's away :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: S.