Want to get a remap but not void warranty

Daniel Gorton

Reaction score
Hi, looking at getting a stage 1 remap in the next few weeks. Preferably one that doesn't force me into a clutch replacement. But I really want one that won't void the warranty, is there one that will do That?? The tdi tuning one is a good balance between power and clutch abuse but will It void my warranty??

Thanks for any help
Dan

Well it's a mine field is the answer to your question some say they can be detected some say not. Some have maps with no clutch issues! after your post i checked the Superchips website and i'm not sure but they look as if they do a bluefin now for cars 14plate on...i don't think they offered that before. I've emailed them to see if they do a bluefin for my 66 plate.

I've always gone with a remap will void your warranty if detected. In my head if you remap and then there is an issue with you car you give the manufacturer/dealer an easy out. I guess remaps are easier to detect as they are on the car's ECU so when it's in the dealers they can see the change in ECU settings even if it's not flagged.

I have a DTUK box, not because I think it's undetectable (because I think it can be detected) but I can at least spend 20mins or so removing it before the next service and hopefully reduce the change of issues with a warranty claim if required....

Cam they still detect it if I take it out before a service or having something done??

That's the big question, DTUK and others claim not due to where the box connects, however it's been suggested that the changes in the cars performance could be logged and that would raise a question with some dealerships....

My thinking is that I will remove it completely before any service/warranty claim and see what happens. I only have 10m left on the Audi warranty anyway.

Some reckon tuning boxes can be detected by looking at the car's logs (as said above) which would then be seen as anomalies if you'd removed the box prior to servicing - but they'd have to go looking for them. They'd also have to put together a strong argument together to pin these 'anomalies' on to a tuning box, as far as I can see at this stage it's your word against theirs unless they go to your house and turn it out to find your tuning box ....

Perhaps the answer here is how much logged data the car stores, I.e. How far back? Once you find that out just remove the box prior to service or warranty work by that amount of days or whatever it is and drive it around in stock form.

The only real issue you'll potentially get is clutch slip from what I've read up on, but many tuning box users seem to not have had any issues themselves. If you don't do loads of fast launches all the time you'll probably be alright. Even saying that, Audi know the clutches in these cars are a weak point as so many have been done on warranty already.

Reactions: lfcrule1972
Superchips got back to me and they say that the firmware of the bluefin has now been updated to remap the later cars. My experience with using this device was GolfGTD needed glow plugs under warranty, obviously hooked up to the dealership.VW headquarters for diagnostics no issue as regards replacing the plugs. So points to ponder are did it get missed, did it flag up anything?

Back when I was still considering buying the S1, I was told by a salesman at my Audi dealer that the Superchips can't be detected, he actually tried to sell me the S1 based on the fact I could buy the Bluefin thing and get 300bhp roughly out of it and not void my warranty!

Spoke to them on the phone earlier and £237 for the bluefin firmware update and the map. Broached the subject of detection and he said i'd be very surprised if they could!

It's one of those "99.9%" things, no one wants to commit to saying their product is 100% undetectable!

But as I'm my previous post, if you remove it prior to any work, they'd have to put together a very strong argument to link any anomalous logged data with a tuning box as they'd have no hard evidence. Unless of course they look on this forum and see you've posted about having one!

I'll post my bluefin to them shortly and get it done, they've never let me down in the past and after the golf well i didn't have any problems...lets see if they can remap my 1987 mk2 xr2 fiesta...ha ha ha

I'm a audi technician at a main dealer. And I probably shouldn't show you this but i'm sick of reading tuning threads about boxs/remaps that won't void warranty. it is available on desktop and freedom of information and all that. Audi are very aware of all types of tuning and i have personally came across a TB1 code a number of times mostly on diesels to be fair, however have been found on a number of s models too. All of which ether still had box fitted or removed. I'm not going to upset any tuning companies by naming names of boxs or maps which have been found in my experience. I'm all for tuning. It's why i became a tech in the first place! I have a S1 runnig stage 2 and love it. However i'm in the fortunate position that i can fix my car at a cost to myself if i blow it up or if issues arise from tuning. Which i have had to do btw! Can you say the same? Can you take the risk? Take of this what you will. There will be people out there who say im lying or whatever or they know best because there aunties , uncles, dogs pal has a tuning box and never had any issues! Fine thats great for them! But be WARNED! I would be grateful if the admin's could somehow make this public across the forum so everyone could benefit from the information below!

Thanks Tony
IMG 3625
IMG 3626

Reactions: desertstorm and TripleD
Good to know, cheers mate. When I pop in I'll leave some party rings and hobnobs in the car with a note saying "our little secret " ha ha

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: lfcrule1972
That's it then thanks to VAG ODIS , the tuning box of frogs has no purpose , except to sell on at a later date .

If you're going to , the superior remap.

Thanks for the info - don't think I'll be buying one of these then! I value my warranty and won't be keeping the car past 2 years anyway, probably stick to my original plan and just put a cat back exhaust on it instead!

Yup they can be detected as the other tech has said it will flag up on elsa as TD1 or TB1. ones suspected and one is its been done. TD1 being the one thats a definite tune. i can say more as ive left audi lol so no back lash on me lol.

Audi will always try to worm out of warranty. if you are scared then its best advised not to have the map. easiest solution

All maps can be detected even when removed. Audi now check the checksum, so if you wanna map the car, map the car but be prepared to fight your case if something goes wrong.

DTYME83

Reactions: Banana split