Dead bee in headlight. How to remove this bulb?

A3JP

A3 1.8 TFSI S-Line リミテッド
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a dead bee in my headlight but I can't seem to get this bulb out to get at it. Worried about forcing it and breaking something.

Checked the manual and it just says take it to the dealer. Typical! Does it just pull out or need turning and pulling out? Can't find any info online either for removing it.

Appreciate any help, thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0449.JPG
    IMG_0449.JPG
    855 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0451.JPG
    IMG_0451.JPG
    945.4 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Yeah I know how to get he bee out. It's the bulb I can't seem to get out! Does it just pull out?

I may be stating the obvious here,lol, but the picture posted by the OP doesn't appear to show any bulb installed??
It looks like some kind of plastic blanking plug to me (installed where a bulb would normally sit) , and by the looks of it, if all 3 legs of the plug are gently squeezed inwards that thing should come free?
Then it should be possible to vacuum out the headlight as already described.....

Reactions: Rideen
Nessy, thanks for the reply. I did wonder this and tried to squeeze and pull it out but as I said didn't want to force it to much in case it broke. Are these lights usually blanked out? I'm in Japan btw so not sure if it's something to do with that or the model itself. It's a 2008 1.8tfsi s-Line.

Here's another pic...

Attachments

• IMG_0452.JPG
    IMG_0452.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 105
It looks to me as if your car has bi-Xenons so the inner headlamp unit serves as both high and low-beam.
In the outer part of the headlamp where you appear to have this blanking plate there also appears to be another bulb (I'm guessing sidelight or daylight running bulb?) , I've no idea why you have this blanking plug installed in this part of the reflector though, perhaps it is to do with the Japanese-spec?
I still think it should be a relatively easy job to get that blanking plug thing out as it definitely looks like no bulb is installed there.....

Reactions: A3JP
Yes you're right they're bi-xenons.

Tried to get the blanking plug out again earlier with a couple of mates from work and none of us could get it to budge. We even tried to remove the small bulb above it but couldn't get that out either and there's hardly any room to see inside. My mates are Japanese and into their cars and couldn't believe how difficult the Germans had made it!