Engine differences 1.9TDI

The Old Bailey

Reaction score
Hi

This is my first post so please forgive if this info is available it's just I can't see it.

A friend has has wrecked his engine and needs a replacement he has been offered a 90 TDI. His car came with a 110 TDI (and I have the 130). I thought these were all the same with either a slight difference in turbo or mapping to get the 20bhp difference.

Am I well off the mark here?

What are the differences between these I'm aware the Golf has a 150 version too.

Thanks

The 130 had a high pressure injection system called PD(Pump Duse) which give a nice wallop of torque over the 110 unit, it actually feels more like 50bhp difference when you drive them back to back!

OK. You have two main types of tdi. Distributor pump and unit injector (or PD). Modern ones are PD. The technical difference isn't that important, but the PD is better.

All the engines are much the same internally - just small stuff like different piston rings. PDs have different cylinder heads.

90 and 110 bhp, distributor pump: 110 has a variable geometry turbo (and therefore no wastegate), larger injectors, and other stuff like a proper oil cooler.

I think 100 php PD has a fixed geometry turbo.
130 and 150 bhp have similar variable geometry turbos, but the 150 one has better internals. Also larger injectors etc.

So what your mate might be best to do is look at using the block and head of the new engine and bolting on the old turbo etc.

Also remember anything is possible given enough time and money :racer:

PS There's probably some mistakes in the above...