Passenger Airbag On warning

Whodafunk

Reaction score
I did my front brakes today (not helped by a two hour downpour). After I did the passenger side I got in the car to press the brake pedal but when the ignition was turned on it beeped and I got a warning saying "PASSENGER AIRBAG ON"

This stays on and won't go away and there's the orange circle type warning on the centre of the dashboard where the temperature is normally displayed similar to the bulb out warning.

I've scanned with VCDS and it's not showing any airbag faults. Is this a simple fix, why is it doing this? I assume it's just coincidence I had been doing the passenger brakes.

I've got a 2007 3 door A3 8P

The warning symbol was actually the brake pads and I just confused it with the ignition warning of passenger airbag that comes on each time. Turns out I hadn't plugged the wear sensor back in fully doh :)

Just a tip if you're ever working with pyrotechnic stuff then always disconnect ground from the battery. Also make sure the key isn't in the ignition before disconnecting the battery. When you're ready to reconnect (for airbag related stuff) put the key in the ignition and switch to ON then reconnect the battery. Glad it wasn't anything to worry over though

Just a tip if you're ever working with pyrotechnic stuff then always disconnect ground from the battery. Also make sure the key isn't in the ignition before disconnecting the battery. When you're ready to reconnect (for airbag related stuff) put the key in the ignition and switch to ON then reconnect the battery. Glad it wasn't anything to worry over though
pyrotechnic stuff? brakes?

Lol marek I think you misunderstood. I wasn't saying that brakes are pyrotechnic stuff. But airbags are. I was saying if it involved any pyrotechnics then be sure to disconnect the battery unless you have ample experience with airbags and understand the risks.

Lol marek I think you misunderstood. I wasn't saying that brakes are pyrotechnic stuff. But airbags are. I was saying if it involved any pyrotechnics then be sure to disconnect the battery unless you have ample experience with airbags and understand the risks.
no, i know what u said, but my reply probably was too short to deliver the context, my bad, anyway as from post upwards you can read he just mistaken between lights of abs and airbag, he wasn't doing anything with airbag, so no pyrotechnics involved at all, as well if it was, only 2 reasons when you should use caution is: changing sensor, messing with wires (not un-plugging connector, but jointing etc..), and your post seem to be like forced just to make some numbers. Obviously, not wanna to blame you or point you that you doing something wrong, and just to close it, when working on airbags only disconnecting the battery is not enough, you should wait 30 minutes before do anything. PEACE ;)

I get that, no hard feelings at all. I'm a new member but as a new owner of an audi a3 I came here and registered as there are a host of other audi forums, this one just seemed to be the most informational with other members sharing their knowledge/experience for which I'm grateful. I just wanted to give something back and that's why I posted that information. I know that other people who may be searching for airbag related things and come across this. They should be given the chance to search for this knowledge and it is related to the thread title albeit the actual fault was with the brakes.

I actually have a fault with my airbag system currently and haven't been waiting 30 minutes before commencing any investigations, I have only been disconnecting the battery as per the advice I found, so thank you for that tip. The last thing I need is something exploding in my face lol.

Reactions: Marek196c