Is Phantom Black better than Ebony?

OutLore

VOIP Dude
Reaction score
My old 2005SB was Ebony black, and would show every little defect like it was lit up with a neon sign. Is Phantom any better/resilient especially to bird ***** & swirling?

I'm also considering Mauritious (sp) Blue as an alternative...

Any verdicts?

I had Ebony, now have Phantom. It looks identical to me and I see no reason why it'd be any different in terms of showing up marks or resisting bird poo.

As for swirls, all dark coloured cars will show these up, you just have to wash it right to try and minimise them. Red seems to show them pretty badly too for some reason.

Vertigo1 said:
I had Ebony, now have Phantom. It looks identical to me and I see no reason why it'd be any different in terms of showing up marks or resisting bird poo.

As for swirls, all dark coloured cars will show these up, you just have to wash it right to try and minimise them. Red seems to show them pretty badly too for some reason.

I think its because they have a thick clear coat. Mine has them bad too, i'm gonna clay the car and buff them out come summer I think.

I went for Moro Blue, from certain angles it looks black,and others blue, also think black is becming common these days!

giblets46 said:
I went for Moro Blue, from certain angles it looks black,and others blue, also think black is becming common these days!

Thats cos it looks the best when its clean

More to do with 'fashion' I think. Everyone wants a black car because it's different - except now it's not - it's common.

Bit like silver was.... :whistle2:

I don't think black is different at all, after all it was the first colour to ever be painted on a car. In fact its probably the most common colour in car history.

I seriously doubt it. Whilst black seems a lot more common on A3s than silver, overall silver (in all it's various hues) is probably the most common car colour out there.

Consider Lava Grey (like mine) which is off-black rather than grey silver. Does show the dirt as much as black but still shines after a polish See my gallery.

Spence, this is more your thing....

7c08_19.jpg

7c1f_19.jpg

Hehe... If I could get Imola I would go for that, without a shadow of doubt. I have always loved yellow cars. i wanted Toucan originally, but now I have seen a few in the flesh it seems a little wishy washy to me....

Time will tell.... I have been told that I can't order it until March anyway :eek:(

Is black more popular than silver nowadays?

According to Audi, Yes. They say they sell more black cars than silver in the UK. My dealer agrees. He says he takes more orders for black than silver at the moment. No doubt it will all change again soon.