Fuel guage stuck at full ? but miles left going down.

roydonaldson

Reaction score
Hi there,

My wife's TT's ( same as my S3 really) fuel guage has stayed stuck at full after the last time I filled her car up for her.

The electronic dash miles left indicator is going down, but the needle is still saying full.

Any ideas if I could fix this, or is it a trip into the dealers ?

Thanks,
Roy.

At a guess, it may be fuel sender unit ....had this prob on a diff car where the needle went dead ....may be worth just ringing the dealers and asking ?? or a specalist may be more helpful ?

I've had this too, but it fixed itself after a couple of weeks. I'd leave it a while before taking it to the dealers.

monkeytrousers said:
I've had this too, but it fixed itself after a couple of weeks. I'd leave it a while before taking it to the dealers.

:iagree:

Brand new 56 plate A6 Avant came in with the same problem, told him to leave it a week or so then i'd start diving it... 3 days later and another fuel refill and it was fine!

Fingers crossed for you bud!

same happened to me. fixed itself.
dont think its the sender. if it was wouldnt the DIS display faulty info aswell?

Just a thought but TT's commonly have dash problems, could this be related? Best best is to look on vwvortex.com or another exclusively TT forum.

My porsche vdo fuel gauge does this, if you give it a strong "tap" on the dash pod or facial, (careful not to scratch it!) it goes back to where it should be.

Mind you it is 15 years old now!

fuel gauge is a common failure on tt's. deffinatly give it a while though, it might start working after a few fill ups. my A4 one stuck on empty last week but is working now.

I've had this when I've overfilled the tank - take it drive on some bendy bits to free up the float in the tank.