Replaced head unit - Arial issue / Blown front Bose door speaker to replace (best way and part no?)

Adamski_A3

Reaction score
So since getting the car one of the main things I wanted to sort was to swap out the Sympany unit with something I could bluetooth my music to and have Android Auto/Apple Car Play integration (I'm Android and the wifes Apple) So I found an ex-display Pioneer AVH-X8700BT for a good price. Although things got more expensive when it came to getting all the bits I needed to fit it for the harnesses and unit to keep my steering controls etc. We didn't bother connecting up the handbrake as didn't fancy having to pull up the interior to get to it and thought everything would be fine. Apple CarPlay works fine and doesn't care, but Android Auto wants the handbrake on to first connect up. From Googling about the old earthing the wire trick no longer works, so got a MicroBypass coming from eBay which sends a required pulse which I'm hoping will do the trick.

Now the other problems!

One thing though is the aerial isnt as strong now. I have one of those booster things as in the pic, but its not terrible, but its not great either. Is this the best its going to be or is there anything else that can be done to improve things?

Also, when we trial connected everything for whatever reason the volume was at full whack almost deafening us and giving me and my mate a heart attack at the same time! In the process it seems to have blown the drivers side front door speaker (I've got a sportback) as nothings coming from this now. Everything else seems to be fine. Does anyone know the part number for this? Also does the Bose grille just come off and can I get to it to replace that way or is it a door card off jobbie? I've seen used ones listed on eBay, but want to make sure I'm getting the right one? Finally is it a simple matter of just unscrewing it? As I saw one YouTube video where they had to drill rivets out to replace?

Any advive much appreciated

Cheers

Attachments

• 20170722_134701_2.jpg
    20170722_134701_2.jpg
    464.4 KB · Views: 161
  • 20170723_150220_2.jpg
    20170723_150220_2.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Some more weirdness now. Units been fine but got in the car yesterday and it wouldn't power up? Checked the fuses under the steering wheel and they were fine. Tried it again after taking these out and it came back to life. Great I thought. Get in the car this morning though and it's dead again?

have you done an auto acan using Vcd's to see if it is showing any faults anywhere . plus sounds more like a power issue .

Thanks for the reply :) I don't have a vcds unfortunately :-( I thought it could be something like that. A power issue with the cables or the device itself you think? There's sometimes like a pop noise to when you first power it on and turn it off.

I've been testing it leaving the face plate on and it seems to work fine if I leave the plate on. It's when I take it off and put it back on I get the problem. I did wonder if it could be something odd like the car is still trying to look for the old stereo? Or am I just over thinking things?

i would say have a look in the Vcd's section and leave a message and see if any off the guys would be willing to do an Auto scan for you that way it would show if any faults come up and then you can check the code by using ( ross- tech google them) and see if it is a wire which might be needing grounded